Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • One bike, two people – suggestions for new frame.
  • keppoch

Hi all,

Currently have a 2015 Transition Scout (27.5” wheels, 140/125 suspension, size Large) and an older 2009 Orange P7 (26” wheels, 140 suspension, size 19”)

My girlfriend is starting to get into riding and has been riding the Transition as the P7 just looks a bit big for her. If buying new for her I guess a medium Transition would be a better fit too. She has a short torso but long legs and arms.

I’m 6” and the Transition is a very good fit but the P7 maybe a touch on the large side. I kind of seem to be in the middle for a few sizes eg. 18” Inbred too small, 20” too big.

So I have a bit of a plan which is to get a different hardtail frame that is a bit smaller instead of the P7, it will hopefully fit us both.

Any suggestions on what to go for? I am kind of torn as I have reasonable Fox 32 Floats on the P7 and all the kit is in decent condition (if a bit old school eg Mavic XC717/719 rims). So with all of that it makes sense to go for something secondhand 26” but on the other hand I want a dropper on the new frame and that tends to lean towards 27.5” era frames (accepting that you can get some 27.2mm droppers). My first though was a medium 26” Cotic Soul but few of these seem to come up on Ebay or classifieds.

I guess my key criteria are:

• Good for trail riding; full day out potential not just a quick ride
    • 130-150mm fork compatible
    • Not too heavy
    • Dropper compatible

The other option would be to throw money at it and go for something brand new and sell/split the P7 (no this is not a stealth ad!). If I did go that route by coincidence the front runner in my mind is that Kingdom X2 on the front page so I will be interested to read the review – especially how it pedals for longer rides.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The wife and I are an inch apart in height at best. We possibly could ride a common size, but we don’t. Even though we drive each other’s cars without needing to adjust seat, steering or mirrors.

Bike fit isn’t something to compromise on. Neither is personal choice on contact point. The wife can’t manage a full mile on my saddles.

Why not get a smaller frame for one of the bikes and build it as “her” bike?

keppoch

Agree that is an option but live in a small house where bike storage space has been filled so planning on going this direction. It might not be perfect but she seems comfortable on the Transition so seems reasonable. Will get different saddles though!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘One bike, two people – suggestions for new frame.’ is closed to new replies.