• This topic has 27 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Caher.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • One bike to rule them all – show me your Giant Revolt Advanced!
  • 13thfloormonk

Looking for an (almost) one bike to rule them all, for CX, gravel and general road duties.

null

Have some specific geometry requirements (tall, short) which rule out a lot of more aggressive gravel bikes and CX bikes, but also want 2x. Would love rim brakes also but with the constraints above that pretty much limits me to custom which I can’t afford.

Don’t mind that it’s not a dedicated CX bike as I’m currently racing an MTB so it’ll be more appropriate than that!

Only concern is weight and wierd hybrid disc brake system, any comments?

Ta

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Does look nice.

13thfloormonk

…and a bit more research reveals the weird hybrid brake system is no longer a thing, it’s pure 105, happy days!

anagallis_arvensis

Less ugly than it used to be!!

Garry_Lager

Cannondale topstone seemed to get a lot of enthusiasm when it was released, don’t know if its geometry is right for you but aren’t most cross bikes tall and short?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Really like the look of these. This is high on the list of potential replacements when/if I get round to moving on from my Diverge.

13thfloormonk

Cannondale topstone seemed to get a lot of enthusiasm when it was released, don’t know if its geometry is right for you but aren’t most cross bikes tall and short?

Actually yeah, the new carbon topstone is very similar in spec and geometry, visually it’s not moving me as much as the Giant though (what’s happened to Cannondale’s aesthetics? Seem pretty dull to look at this year)

null

Fair point on the geometry of other CX bikes, not sure why I’d got it into my head that they were all too low/long, think perhaps I was looking at proper race frames due to my rim brake obsession!

andypaul
    Free Member

I think this is probably one of the best 2020 bikes out there. 45mm tyre clearance, 105 hydro groupset on the top end alloy version for £1500. Put me down for one (apparently they won’t be landing in the UK until Christmas)

scaredypants

that Topstone – does it have a pivot on the seat-tube ?

dove1

I bought a Revolt Advanced 2 a couple of months ago for pretty much the same reasons as you, 13thfloormonk. I wanted a bike for gravel and road use as well as giving bikepacking a go.

CD2-B2-FDE-E267-4832-93-E2-2-A92452-D7700

BC185-F78-A606-4-DF6-AC3-F-F1-EBA5-B5-C940

I’m really pleased with it. More comfortable than a road bike to ride but still great on the road.
    On gravel, fire roads and not too technical tracks it is a hoot. It’s like mountain biking was in the 80’s but with drop bars.
    The Giant hybrid brakes are actually really good but the master cylinder is ugly and makes attaching a bar bag a bit awkward. It’s the only thing on the bike I’d like to change and will get full 105 hydro fitted when I get a bit of spare cash.
    As mentioned previously though the 2020 model comes with full hydro brakes.

My mate bought a carbon Topstone last weekend. It’s a really nice bike but has a tall frame. I had a go on it and the geometry just didn’t suit me. I am 6’ tall but have short arms and legs.

70-DA7-EAC-EE6-A-4094-B05-F-C0-E8-D9-CB034-E

13thfloormonk

Sorry to ask Dove1, any idea on weight?

Garry_Lager

that Topstone – does it have a pivot on the seat-tube ?

The carbon one does, yes, 30mm travel at the back. Think the alloy ones are a normal frame (they look quite nice IMHO, agree that the softail type frame isn’t the prettiest).

Kryton57

Oh FFS, thats very pretty.

Does anyone want to buy a slight used Bergamont Grandurance…?

dove1

Sorry to ask Dove1, any idea on weight?

Precarious balancing on the bathroom scales indicates somewhere between 9 and 9.5kg.
    That’s with bottle cage and XT SPD pedals fitted.

(Bit of a stealth ad but as result of getting the Revolt my medium 2015 Giant Defy 1 is now for sale if anyone is interested.)

13thfloormonk

That sounds about right, the stock Revolt Advanced 0 in medium, without pedals, is apparently 8.7kg.

I imagine it would be closer to 10kg for the Advanced 2 in a larger size, thankfully I’d be fitting fancier lighter tyres and tubes for CX duties so would be a couple of kilos lighter than the Trek Superfly I’ve been racing to date!

dove1

Mine is a M/L.

faz71

Another owner here, originally wanted something titanium but saw this in my LBS and was smitten.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iv9246uwinmaucc/IMG_20190621_133938286.jpg?dl=0

It rides lovely and is incredibly comfortable- the flex in the D-fuse seat post was actually a bit disconcerting at first.
    I’ve changed the brakes to Ultegra’s and the wheels to Mavic Allroad Pros which made a huge difference (the original wheels were made of lead). Another good thing is the lack of toe overlap, the frame has the longest front centre of any of the bikes I looked at.

13thfloormonk

Think the wheels are XC 29er wheels!

Apparently 2.1kg for the wheelset which is similar to the wheels on my Superfly 29er.

Couldn’t see pic Faz?

faz71

Can’t get the link to work for Dropbox, any ideas?

faz71

Oh FFS!

faz71

Giant Revolt
    Well, Flickr works!

13thfloormonk

Nice! It was the orange colour scheme that originally sold me, but I won’t be buying till Christmas so assume it will be the 2020 version. At least that means full 105 brakes (I wasn’t massively against the Giant system, but the fewer proprietary parts on a bike the better as far as I’m concerned!).

faz71

A couple more photos from today’s ride

IMG_20190911_125037981

IMG_20190911_125104096

oldfart

I bought a ML Revolt 1 in 2014, converted it to flat bars with Clarks Hydraulic brakes last year. Now called Frank 😎 it was knocked down from £1000 to £500 with carbon forks and seat post!!!! Only yesterday worked out I’ve done 9,500 odd miles on it! Apart from chains, cassettes brake pads etc haven’t had to replace anything. Used it for commuting so literally paid for itself.
    Can’t believe a few months ago I tried to sell it to a mate for £100!!! If CRC hadn’t clocked up big time I would now have a Pine Mountain. Think I dodged a bullet there 🤔

13thfloormonk

Starting to think treacherous thoughts about the alloy version now, given the abuse it might end up taking on the CX courses.

Would also free up some budget for upgraded wheels.

Anyone seen one in the flesh? Have got to say the new trend for not publishing weights is a bit annoying, even knowing the relative weight difference between the alloy and carbon frames would be handy.

Of course, for that sort of money it would be competing with the Orbea Terra…

null

Advantages of the Orbea are a more CX-appropriate lairy colour scheme, and no proprietary seatpost or handlbars…

Again, would be really handy to know what the weight differences are, otherwise I’m going to be pestering shops to order in potentially three different bikes to test ride…

simboid
    Free Member

GT Grade.

Caher

My Boardman ADV 9.0 makes me seriously question why I need a road and MTB.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘One bike to rule them all – show me your Giant Revolt Advanced!’ is closed to new replies.