Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • One bike and one bike only
  • Andy-R

Having given this some thought, even though I’m not likely to be in that situation, I think that I’d probably have to keep this Singular Hummingbird singlespeed.

danj

I hope Mark won’t mind the blatant plug, but there’s an article on exactly this subject in the next issue of Cycle (the magazine of Cycling UK, formerly CTC), which goes to press next week. Jon Bateman, who kicked off the earlier one-bike thread, bumped into me at an event during my one-bike experiment. Don’t tell ’em what it is, John! 😉

core

I’ve currently only got one bike, a Soul, and though I always intended to get something else, have given it a try for everything for a while.

It’s good at everything, well, alright, but compromised at either end of the spectrum, like on mixed XC rides with lots of road or in Hopton on the almost DH tracks. And that, for me, spoils the fun a bit.

So, I’ve got a cheap used Arkrose on the way for the rides from the door, and I’m swapping the Soul frame for an Aeris One20. Long term I’d like a fast 29er XC bike too, but that’ll have to wait.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

As someone mentioned above, maybe rental could scratch that remaining 15% itch, especially if it’s for occasional trail centres and holidays abroad. I used to ski every year and quickly came to the conclusion that renting made more sense for the one week of a year when I skied. If you only “need” a big full susser for the Summer Alps trips and weekend trail centre visits, it might be a cost effective way of having only one bike but still getting your n + 1 kicks.

EDIT – perhaps doesn’t work

Rental for a half decent full susser is 70 quid a day, I ride about 2 weekends a month. Alpine rental is crazy expensive…. I reckon Id spend 1500 quid a year on rental.

Then there is the fact that rental bikes are usually poorly maintained and setup….

Where as Ive been riding for so long, to get what I want I need a shimstack tune…specific stem and bar lengths etc

Honestly, Id keep the mtb and get a 100 quid hack bike for everything rlse.

NormalMan

I’ve had to come back to this thread. I’d posted early doors.

I couldn’t let the Pugs go. So that would be my keeper. I guess road rides would mean those Nates get me very fit!

philjunior
    Free Member

My Parkwood 29er but with rack mounts wood cover all necessary bases.

But it’s not going to happen willingly!

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’m currently being forced into this due to wife’s health, nearest trail centre drive and cycle then return is around three and a half hours, at present quicker to cycle from home on CAADX with Panaracer Gravelking sk’s and take on a bit of off-road. Sadly selling my Cannondale Habit but would ideally like to have a steel gravel bike that’ll run 700c and 650b but it’ll have to wait til finances allow. Any suggestions what to get would be grateful

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Ok just to be different I am going the traditional STW way and saying what I already have (Fat bike obviously) but …

This is my reality after careful consideration of what I really ride, a leap of faith that snow/sand/mud are similar behaviours under fat tyres and that I ride XC (ish), local (ish) and rarely bomb a Welsh mountain and avoid roads like plague.

I’ve done FS lots, hardtails lots and loved them all at the time but nothing puts a smile on my face like the lunatic Fat bike (OK and maybe a coffee at the end of a ride too).

James

RustySpanner

Spesh AWOL.

With flat bars, it’s an MTB.
    With drops, it pretty much covers everything else.

The stock base model would be fine, I like the spec.

trail_rat
    Free Member

2 chain rings…… Pfft . 3 here. Last time i was called out it turned out the caller liked to ride 20-30k in a day…..i prefer 80-100 or more….

garage-dweller

You realise don’t you that if non biking other halves find this thread a number of us are going to be up excrement creek without a vessel and means of propulsion!

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

2 chain rings…… Pfft . 3 here.

Yep 2 outta 3 of mine have 3 rings up front. The other’s single speed.

You realise don’t you that if non biking other halves find this thread a number of us are going to be up excrement creek without a vessel and means of propulsion!

Try explaining numerous cars of which only one is actually usable!

TiRed

My usual comeback is how many shoes does one need?

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Touche

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Two? shay.

That’s it, I’m going to bed..

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think I’d splurge for a Jones Plus and accept that I’d got one super-odd bike for road and MTB.

As it is, I’ve currently got one bike for all my mountain biking and have given up the road for the moment.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

2015 Carbon Jekyll. It makes me happier than the others. I’ve been riding my Whyte Shoreditch for the commute but as soon as the weather is right I take an off-road route on the FS. It helps being able to dial the suspension down to 95mm but even though the rigid 29er Trail is a better suited bike I love the Jekyll more.

ads678

I pretty only ride my solaris nowadays anyway so I could quite easily get rid of my other MTB’s and my ‘road’ bike.

I’m not going to but I could!!

chiefgrooveguru

I’d be happy to ride this all the time – I commute on it half the time anyway, and when I’m not on it I’m riding a similar hardtail. But the Spitfire is a better all-round bike:

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My rides are mostly…
    – commute 15 miles each way (road, but sometimes off road on way home)
    – evening MTB
    – weekend MTB, sometimes further afield.
    – Occasional road ride

I could do all that on my 100mm 29er hardtail. Main downside is no full mudguards in the winter on the road.

Full-sus – too slow on the road (tho I could change the tyres)
    Hybrid – actually pretty good, but no suspension fork for longer rides.
    Drop bar bike – too restrictive off road.

philjunior
    Free Member

Actually, I answered up there as if it was easy, now having buyer’s remorse.

An XC full sus these days would be very capable and just as fast on the flat as my HT. Could go lighter than it too… Maybe a “trail” full sus. Maybe I should have both on top of my current collection. And a “big” full sus, cos why not?

Someone help me!

benp1

90% of my riding is commuting to work. 99% of that on the road, 1% on light tracks

On that basis it should be a gravel bike with 2 sets of wheels, but that would make full mudguards a nightmare

I could do it on a rigid 29er but that would be too much for most of the riding, and full guards wouldn’t work so well

For fun riding my biggest bike is a hardtail, which to be honest rarely requires suspension.

By the time you faff with 2 sets of wheels, if you have the space, you might as well have 2 bikes!

I could move to 2 bikes relatively easily, even though 4 get ridden relatively often. 1 bike is very difficult

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Your new(est) bike is always your ‘do-it-all’ / ‘all-round’ bike, IME.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Jeez, I remember the days when all you had was one bike.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Don’t know if someone has already mentioned these guys, but their “one bike” range looks very interesting…and expensive. Getting great reviews.

https://opencycle.com/up

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘One bike and one bike only’ is closed to new replies.