One bike and one bike only

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • One bike and one bike only
  • Impossible choice really. But pushed its got to be a steel 29er.

Solaris for me.

Stoner

I think I may have just built the perfect bike for ton!
    XL Grypon, Rohloff, Big Apples, BB7s, Midges.

Carradice SQR on the seat post to take a SuperC bag.

This is coming up to Dumfries with me in a few weeks for some fire road/country lane pootling.

TiRed

Cross bike with two or three sets of wheels. I’d still struggle to road race it, because the gearing would be challenging. But I have raced by Boardman CX Pro at Hillingdon with a road groupset. Cantilever brakes are UCI legal in all disciplines.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Tripster if I could only keep one.

If I had to choose one it’d likely end up a 2×11 new Swift with a few wheelsets. Probably enough wheelsets that I might as well have another bike.

faustus

If i really had to, then 29er rigid or HT with different wheels for road. ‘Proper’ bars and full mtb tyres all the way! Curly bars no use for fun mtbing for me…even though I do plenty of road, i’d rather sacrifice road enjoyment for off road fun any day!

thomthumb

Gravel bike/ CX

would basically cover 85% of my riding, but that remaining 15% only an MTB can really address

having a seperate commuter makes things much easier IME. Can run guards and racks a dynamo and most importantly great big horrible punture proof tyres. My commute has a lot of glass and any tyre that i’d enjoy riding on a weekend club run is no good at all in the week.

Premier Icon ianbradbury
    Subscriber

Just bought a ti Fargo. (Present for large number birthday). Think that would be it.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Difficult! So, I have to commute to work, can’t afford not to, and yet I couldn’t just live with a gravel bike… a Slate is a good call, but no, I’d have to keep my Big Top. 29er hardtail. I could ride to work on that and its a fun bike.
    Trail Centres do rentals don’t they? πŸ™‚

ton

I think I may have just built the perfect bike for ton!
    XL Grypon, Rohloff, Big Apples, BB7s, Midges.

Carradice SQR on the seat post to take a SuperC bag.

very nice too stoner…..wanna sell?

Premier Icon Ben_H
    Subscriber

I did JOGLE on my MTB (Cannondale hardtail with a Lefty) back in 2001, so one bike is quite do-able if you’re happy to accept compromises. I commuted and toured a fair bit on that bike.

I’ve thought about going back to a single bike several times over the years (see some historic posts) and came to the conclusion that a 29er hardtail with 2 wheelsets and some good luggage would be the sweet spot.

One bike probably works best if you’re have a main use and then occasionally something else (e.g. MTB mainly, with an occasional tour), but will inevitably be tested if you’re doing a more diverse range (e.g. technical MTB and chain gang stuff) and / or bigger miles.

Premier Icon Ben_H
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

YT Capra CF Pro with a spare set of wheels/tyres for the road.

mattyfez

It would have to be a hard tail of some description, all things considered.

ciquta

Sonder Camino Ti

Lionheart

One bike, ONE BIKE, ahhh. I’ve rather a lot of bikes so can’t really give a proper view on this but if you said all we’re going but one… the first that comes to mind to keep is my Solaris, (but I’d have three sets of wheels/tyres, 29mtb, 27.5mtb+ and a road set of 29s. But if I could only keep one, it would probably be my 1986/7 Stumpjumper, currently set up as a tourer (has been for 20 years), it is also lots of fun and reasonably capable off road on decent tyres. It is a great alrounder, city cycling, loaded up tourer, on the trails, only place it lets its self down is steep (ish) downhill quickly but I’m getting a bit old for that…

Premier Icon ajantom
    Subscriber

One bike you say…….would have to be the Krampus.
    Might have to keep hold of the Alfine and SS rear wheels so I had a choice of gears or not.

That’s like saying you can only have one pint!
    However, out of SC Superlight, ti 456 Mk1, Inbred singlespeed, Stanton Sherpa, Kinesis XC Pro 2 and Look KG361, I’d keep the 456 (cos it’s ti!).but swap for a ti Sherpa if I could.

Andy

Ti29 plus…with 29er and road wheels, and spare Pikes (and a spare Turner Sultan frame πŸ˜‰ )

Tom_W1987

160mm enduro bike

For off road riding, which is what I prefer – they cover everything well enough. Alps trip? Comfortable enough for a week shuttling downhill tracks.

Trail centre? Great on reds and blacks, some people argue that they make them too easy but I like the sensation of speed you can get from them by really laying off the brakes.

All day ride in the peaks? Totally doable, enduro bike builds are pretty light these days and with 3/4 way adjustable suspension and a tyre swap they can be 80-90 percent as manageable as a 130/140mm trailbike.

I want a bike that is good for UK riding but will also put a smile on my face and help me enjoy a week of shuttling alpine descents, I can’t say how much I am looking forward to 2018 in Morzine already.

I think I’m a bit of an odd one out here – but I’d never be without a proper bouncy bike. I’d forgo all other types of bikes, my enduro bike would be clawed out of my cold dead hands though.

As I currently only have two, I’d forego the rigid SS commuter and keep the Aeris 145. The only road riding I do is either to the trails or a 4km commute so I think I’d cope. So chalk me up as another who’d stick with a FS as my only bike!

Stoner

very nice too stoner…..wanna sell?

Thank you.
    But Im afraid not for sale. At least not until Ive tested it πŸ™‚

I think I’m a bit of an odd one out here

Nope, there’s a few of us echoed your sentiments earlier in the thread.

kerley

I only ever have one bike at a time. Have lived in the same place for many years and the bike that works for me on and off road is a fixed gear track bike. I swap bars around as the mood takes (drops, risers, bullhorns) but the underlying bike remains the same, it is all I need.

Good on roads, good fun off road (most off road is gravel) and makes the lame single-track quite challenging.

fifeandy

Easy choice.
    Carbon 29er HT.
    Covers the widest range of possible uses I think.

Premier Icon pnik
    Subscriber

Another vote for 29er hardtail, my solaris would do. Ideally after i’ve put the 120mm stiffer fork on i’ve been hoping to upgrade to. Currently 100mm reba which are a bit flexy under my impressive physique.

Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

It’s not that I’m not impressed by gravel bikes, they’re extremely capable and adaptable and would basically cover 85% of my riding, but that remaining 15% only an MTB can really address…

As someone mentioned above, maybe rental could scratch that remaining 15% itch, especially if it’s for occasional trail centres and holidays abroad. I used to ski every year and quickly came to the conclusion that renting made more sense for the one week of a year when I skied. If you only “need” a big full susser for the Summer Alps trips and weekend trail centre visits, it might be a cost effective way of having only one bike but still getting your n + 1 kicks.

EDIT – perhaps doesn’t work so well if your doorstep riding needs a “big bike”.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

I do all my Mountain biking on my Bird Aeris 145. I’ve got a Boardman team Carbon racer which I mostly just commute on with an occasional road ride for fitness / leisure, then I’ve got a hardtail which is somewhere in between but which needs a fair bit of tlc.

I was thinking about this the other night and decided if I could only have one bike it would be the Aeris – but I’d get a spare set of narrow ish wheels to keep tyres on that I could commute on without being too draggy and could just lock the rear shock and turn the forks to their fullest compression setting.

So I’d keep the most fun bike basically.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

It’d be my Surly Disc Trucker. I’ve done 200km+ road rides on it happily enough, it’ll handle any off-road stuff round here and it’d do plenty more gnar at an appropriate speed, it tows the kids, does the shopping, carries luggage, does everything basically. I wouldn’t mind a smidge more tyre/guard clearance if it was to do all the off-road duties as well (it’s currently maxed out with 29×1.75s and guards), but hey.

Premier Icon swanny853
    Subscriber

Hardtail for me. Ideally 29er. Drop bars too compromised for off road, I would consider a lightweight FS but probably HT first.

Metal perhaps better for the rough and tumble of life? But something light and carbon would make it more fun with slicks on the road. So perhaps something like a pivot les?

How many sets of tyres are we allowed? Two sets of forks?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

If it was a mountain bike and had to be used for commuting and other road use – I wonder how many of us would go back to 2 front chainrings… 11/32 would be a bit crap on the road.

mark90

I think I’m a bit of an odd one out here

You’re not, well not the only odd one. Mountain biking is about fun for me so I’d definitely keep my Bird if I only had one bike. I use it for 90% of my riding anyway. I could use it where I use my hardtail, it just might be a bit overkill at times, but I’d rather that and have the bike to enjoy the fun stuff.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Easy, my Whyte T-130

As an XC bike it’s great, DH is great… I guess it would lose a bit on Zwift, but i could live with that.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

I’m thinking of doing this.

My two current bikes are both not-quite-right for me: a SS Inbred (can’t run BB7 calpiers, only one bottle cage, 26er tyres getting harder to find) and a Cotic X (lose a bottle cage when running a frame bag, slightly smaller tyres than I’d like at times).

I’m thinking of getting a Singular Swift frame and forks. They would work for geared or SS, drop bars or risers, fat tyres or skinny, off-road or on-road.

Most of the parts from my current bikes would fit, so minimal shopping needed.

Careful kit choice should mean relatively easy swapping of parts – running road BB7 calipers and using canti brake levers for with riser bars, split cable outers, etc.

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

I wonder how many of us would go back to 2 front chainrings…

Go back to? Ah the joys of being a late adopter…

Stevet1

Without a doubt it would be my Stanton hardtail with 140mm forks and 26″ wheels. Full sus is a “nice to have” rather than a necessity and doesn’t play well on tight jumps or the BMX / pump track. Neither do bigger wheels.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

If it was a mountain bike and had to be used for commuting and other road use – I wonder how many of us would go back to 2 front chainrings

Not me, I’d keep all three πŸ™‚

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Go back to? Ah the joys of being a late adopter…

My chosen Big Top does have 2×10 πŸ™‚

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

If it was a mountain bike and had to be used for commuting and other road use – I wonder how many of us would go back to 2 front chainrings

A double chainring (32t and 42t) with an 11-32 cassette would do me for everything.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I’m in this exact position at the moment and have an NS Rag+ on it’s way to me today. Should cover 90% of my riding until the kids are a bit older and then I’ll get a full suss to compliment it. Local trails (Macc and Peak) will just be tackled at a slower pace

Premier Icon swanny853
    Subscriber

I wonder how many of us would go back to 2 front chainrings…

Not me. My 1x MTB already has a higher top gear than my commuter. Touring I would have to consider 2x or 3x but that would be a compromise for a small amount of total use. Besides, if it was one bike, I could probably justify 1×12.

For ‘proper’ road use a n/w chainring is a pretty cheap and cheerful swap to up the gears, and surely no worse than being allowed to change tyres?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘One bike and one bike only’ is closed to new replies.