Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • One-armed cyclist – sad news
  • TN
    Free Member

Hi
    As many of you know, 4 years ago my husband Julian (known as J) lost his arm to osteosarcoma but he fought back and got fit again and with the help and support form so many people, including many of you on here, he got back on his bike and was riding better than ever before.

Back in June last year, the cancer came back in his lung and again, he fought back and afer having 2/3 of one lung removed, he was getting back on his bike only to find out in April that it had come back, yet again.

Therefore, it is with unbelievable sadness that I am letting you know that he finally lost his brave fight on Saturday morning after a very quick final skirmish.

I am not sure how appropriate it is to make thia announcement here but I do know a few of you had followed his story over the years so I just wanted to give you a bit of ‘closure’, if you like.

I am numb at the moment, I feel like part of me died with him and after 20 years together it is going to be very strange being on my own. Although I know there are so many out there sending their love that I am not alone, really…

T

brant
    Free Member

T – thoughts with you and those close to you.

shooterman

Very sad news. Anything I can think of saying seems inadequate at a time like this. All I can say is my thoughts are with you.

allthepies
    Free Member

RIP Julian.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Terribly sad news. I’d not commented on the previous threads but I had followed them and have nothing but admiration for the way both of you handled the situation in which you found yourselves. Not much I can say other than I am genuinely sorry for your loss.

chewkw
    Free Member

A very sad news.

R.I.P. Julian.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

My thoughts are with you, do whatever you need to do to greeve but don’t do it alone. Surround yourself with people and remember the good times.

tails
    Free Member

Very sad news, top guy, I hope you can find happiness again soon. x

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear of your loss. Thinking of you and your family. RIP Julian.

Fantombiker

Very sorry to hear, thoughts are with you and family.

soobalias
    Free Member

Happy Trails J.

Ride in Peace..

retro83
    Free Member

Followed your threads on here over the last few years and always found them humbling & inspirational. My thoughts are with you.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Very sad to hear. Deepest condolences to you and loved ones

woody2000

retro+1

Sad, sad news 🙁

jools182
    Free Member

sounds like he put up a good fight

I am very sad to hear of your loss

kimbers

thats news terrible,
    id not followed his story but he sounds incredibly strong to keep on biking through all of that!
    hugs to you and the family

project
    Free Member

Julians memories will live on forever,and not be forgotton.

RIP fellow cyclist.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Retro +2
    🙁

What a man. You must be very proud. RIP

Wookster

Best wishes mate.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Very sad news. 😥

allthegear
    Free Member

Really sad news. My condolences.

Rachel

slimjim78
    Free Member

Go cycling and think of him often.

Best Wishes to you.

hora
    Free Member

Go cycling and think of him often.

Agree and RIP. Remember the goodtimes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Condolences to you and yours on what is, indeed, terrible news. I’m sure his story inspired and gave hope to lots of people. 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

Bloody hell. How very sad.

True love never dies. Let it sing in your heart forever.

wwaswas

sad to hear this, not sure what to say beyond he’ll always be with you in your head and heart.

HermanShake
    Free Member

He sounds really inspiring, my thoughts are with you.

nbt

RIP.

Remember the good times. Celebrate the life he lived as well as he cold

Bunnyhop

T – so very, very sorry to hear this. I followed your story and thought how courageous Julian was.

We’re all here for you, maybe we could get together for a remembrance ride to celebrate his life.

Bunnyhop x

emsz
    Free Member

True love never dies. Let it sing in your heart forever.

this x a million.

that’s lovely ourmaninthenorth.

metalheart
    Free Member

F*** the appropriateness, thank you for letting us know.

Those threads symbolised to me what STW can be on a good day.

I know nothing can be said that will help.

Take care. Be strong.

mh x

rockitman

Unfortunately I never met Julian, or heard of his fight, but the spirit of the man is obvious from your post.

Very sad for your loss & wishing you the very best for the future.

G

Pigface
    Free Member

Such sad news, my thoughts are with you and Js friends and family.

seven
    Free Member

I’m sorry to hear your news, you will be in our thoughts

brianh
    Free Member

Very moving and at the same time inspirational – I am sure I speak for many when I say our thoughts are with you.

bullheart
    Free Member

In what seems like a long time ago I was in a fairly sticky situation. Having been diagnosed with a rare incurable cancer, I felt isolated, alone and desperate. I started posting from the start on STW as a way of recording my experiences – to this day I have never read the thread back; I don’t have the courage, truth be told. But one day, early into the process, a lady emailed me with a story about her husband – a man who had been struck down by the same cancer, sarcoma – with an offer of friendship, advice and hope.

That lady was Trudi.

I could go into extensive detail about the friendship that has evolved from that initial contact. I could tell you how important they have been to my wife and I. How during the fear and terror, they offered a hope for a future. How J taught me that it was okay to be scared, but not to let the fear rule your life. In my dark days of chemo, having been given a short time to live, the thought of his support, his heroic success at getting back on the bike and his ‘will-do’ attitude were the principal reasons for getting back on a bike and riding. If a hill was too steep, I would goad myself with visions of a man with one arm succeeding, and it would always spur me on.

J was my hero, genuinely. He taught me about courage in the face of impossible odds, and how that could be used to encourage other people in a similar position to fight and survive. I don’t think I would be here today if it hadn’t been for him and his wonderful, magnificent wife.

If you see me at a race this year wearing a Team Bullheart jersey, stop me and ask me about Julian Materna, one of the original members of our shonky bunch. I will gladly regale stories about a magnificent friend who helped save my life, and I will probably weep whilst doing so, but I make no apologies for that, and feel no shame in doing so.

I love you J. Thanks for helping light my way.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sad news.

J, for what little they are worth, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours.

Rest in peace….

clubber
    Free Member

gutted.

condolences go without saying but really feel free to vent or let loose on here as there’s lots of support for you.

danceswithcats

I am very moved and saddened to read of your loss. I offer my condolences and prayers for this brave man and for you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So sorry to hear that. Thank you for letting us know. I wish there was something I could do or say that would help in any way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘One-armed cyclist – sad news’ is closed to new replies.