Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • One arm set up (pics)
  • ziggy
    Free Member

Tried setting it up with the original hydro brake but the brackets and even removal of shifter windows made it difficult to fit in. Ended up with a cable doubler and Avid brakes. The brake bias can be adjusted from front to rear so very tunable for the rider. Quite pleased with the result, seems to work well after a quick roadtest and fettle.

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/3411749947_6924b8807a.jpg?v=0[/img]

sonic
    Free Member

for real style you should cut off the other side of the handlebar at the stem. a bit of cannondale-lefty appeal. yeaaaaaaah.

ziggy
    Free Member

No need he has a prosthetic arm to grip the other side

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

well done. Loads more stuff on setting up/riding with one arm on this French site here

ahsat

Those pictures are very impressive.

geoffj

It looks good, but a Rohloff or Alfine be worth a try for the single shifter simplicity?

ziggy
    Free Member

Yeah a geared hub would be ideal, but cost was a factor here, the complete bike was only £500 which is sensible money.

sssimon
    Free Member

why not spend 9.99 on a 3 spd grip shift and tify the whole thing up, we’ve done a lot of one handed set ups with everyting from rohloffs and hope brakes to a trike for a 5 year old

very satisfying getting someone who thought they’d never be able to ride out on a bike with a smile on their face

ziggy
    Free Member

Tried the gripshift option but the newer generations have bulky brackets that get in the way of the rear shift levers. In fact I tried it both ways and was much easier to operate the gears for the front with the shifter pod, just looks untidy but is functional.

Brainflex

cool, enjoy your riding.

aracer
    Free Member

just looks untidy

Who cares what it looks like if it works? Hope he has fun.

dave_h
    Free Member

Tried the gripshift option but the newer generations have bulky brackets that get in the way of the rear shift levers.

How about fitting the gripshift to the end of the bar? Probably a bit tricky to twist properly with only your little finger and the outside of your hand to grip it.

just looks untidy but is functional.

An old thumbshifter in friction mode would work nicely for the front mech, would allow for easy trimming and would look neat. A Suntour would would be best I reckon.

fastindian
    Free Member

never mind how good the set up looks, youve gotta have balls of steel to ride off road with one arm (even with a prosthetic) hats of to the guy (or gal) that takes more guts than I’ve got!

marsdenman
    Free Member

ziggy – thanks for posting this – was wondering just the other day about your original thread and how things were going.
    Don’t know yoy from Adam but that won’t stop me offering my best wishes to both of you – happy riding 🙂
    Chris

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘One arm set up (pics)’ is closed to new replies.