Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • One shoe to rule them all
  • littlerob

Possibly been done but we have a very small campervan and travel with 2 “gravel” bikes (roadbikes with bigger tyres 😉

When travelling I usually change my SPs for flats, and I’m trying to work out the fewest pairs of shoes to take for: riding, walking (about generally e.g. to the shops), walking (more determinedly e.g. off-road, tracks, hills), and schlepping around the campsite.

I’ve been using an old pair of Inov8 trail shoes and they’re OK, but a bit to flexible for the actual riding (if it goes beyond something simple).

Any suggestions for good all-round shoes?

TIA

LR

zerocool

5Ten Freeriders. Maybe with a better insole in them. I’ve walked a decent amount in mine over the years and thought they could do with a better insole (could just be mine).

mashr

Specialized Rime sounds like a good option

momo

5:10 trail cross sound like they might fit the bill, designed to be a more allround shoe that’s very good on a bike.

sharkattack

Giro Jacket is a good comfy shoe. I find that walking any distance in Five Tens dramatically shortens their lifespan.

dc1988

Shimano do an ebike specific flat pedal shoe, it looks like a walking shoe and looks like it could be good as multi purpose footwear.

bjhedley

Five Ten guide Tennie approach shoe, Salomon XA Pro, Scarpa Mescalito approach shoe, Sportiva TX4 approach shoe would be my vote.

The approach shoes above have soles designed to be sticky enough for scrambling/easy climbing so on par with MTB shoe rubber, and stiffer in the midfoot than trail running shoes. I had a pair of Montrail versions (sadly now discontinued) that were similar to the TX4 and were superb with flat pedals (Back when 5:10 was still a climbing brand).

The XA pro I’ve used a few times on hire bikes when not expecting to be riding and its stiffer than other trail shoes with a decent toe bumper. They’ve been my go to ‘bumming about in the outdoors’ shoes for donkeys years.

slowoldman

Yes I was going to suggest approach shoes.

richardkennerley

I’ve just put some Adidas terrex swift solos on vinted that would be perfect for you, so long as you’re about a size 9.5 (they’re 10.5 but size up small, I’m normally A10.)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to have a pair of Specialized Cadet shoes which had SPD cleats but unless you actually stood directly with the cleat on a pointy rock you probably wouldn’t notice.

stgeorge
    TiRed

I will third Approach shoes. Light enough for daily wear, stiff enough for cycling, comfortable enough for longer walks. I liked my Scarpa Highballs, and now have some Mescalitos after I wore the Highballs down to nothing. I will probably go back to the Highballs next time as they are cheaper and lighter. Forget Goretex, you want rapid drying.

zerocool

What about a pair of vans and then get a stiffer performance 3rd party insole to switch for biking days?

I’ve got some Velosamba’s – absolutely mint for what I bought them for – riding to the pub wearing normal looking trainers. Not sure I’d want to wear them as an all day shoe though

TheBrick
    Free Member

Any walking shoe. I just have mid range decathlon or whatever fits and is on offer from go outdoors. Never had a problem walking anywhere in in Europe (3 seasons uk) a fairly basic walking shoe and use the same shoe for touring with no issue. Would prefer a pair of vans or similar for around town but the walking shoe will do the job. Crocs copies / flip flops for around camp.

littlerob

Many thanks all, some food for thought there. It looks like an approach show of some sort might fit the bill. Sadly, I’ve got clown’s feet (size 46/10.5 -ish) so that limits both what is available, and what looks right.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.