• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ton.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • on road touring, 1 or 2 nights away, B&B, cx bike – panniers or seatpack ?
  • iainc

I have the luxury of both – Revelate Pika seatpack thats 12 litres, or could put the rack and panniers (or 1 of them) on (Ortlieb back roller Plus).

I’m thinking for solely road stuff panniers will be more stable if a touch heavier ?

nedrapier

If you can get everything you want to take in the seatpack, I’d take that. Any stability advantage from the panniers will be outweighed by wieght and the panniers hanging out in the wind.

And the seatpack will limit the amount of stuff you take, which is almost always a good thing, to a certain point.

But if you’ve got more of “leather, wicker, blanket in a wheatfield, long picnic lunch with a bottle of red and snooze” thing in mind, maybe go for panniers!

iainc

cheers ned 🙂

much as the vino and snooze sounds attractive I think the lesser weight probably makes sense !

Aidan
    Free Member

If you’re going to put much weight in it, I’d avoid the seatpack on a road bike. The waggy tail effect is quite alarming on a skinny road bike if your seat pack is loaded. Especially if you stand up and mash the hills.

It tends to work better if you have a frame bag for the heavy stuff and only use the seat pack for bulky, light items.

kcal

good input Aidan. I tend to stuff heaps of er stuff in the set pack then wonder why there’s a tail wobble 🙂

stabilizers

I’ve done a few trips like this round Scotland at 80 to 90 miles a day. Comes down to personal preference. All options are good.
    Currently I go with the carbon road bike with a carradice sqr saddle bag with a Super C front (handlebar) bag to balance it out. Plenty room but depends on the weather.
    The other guys and gals I ride with do a variety of all of the above.

stabilizers

I should add I have no issues up and down the hills. Probably depends on the kit you have though.

iainc

Thanks all, will have a trial run with seat pack and see how it fits in and feels.

nedrapier

If I had a choice of taking my advice or Aiden’s, I’d take Aiden’s!

nedrapier

Although I also have a Carradice seat pack, so I’d take that.

ton

when touring on the road, why choose anything other than panniers?

correct tool for the job, Shirley….. 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘on road touring, 1 or 2 nights away, B&B, cx bike – panniers or seatpack ?’ is closed to new replies.