Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • On One whippet as a SS ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Looking at a new 26er frames i can use as a single speed, anyone use there whippet as a single ?
    Currently use an 853 inbred ss frame but fancy a change 😀

40mpg

I had a whippet ss. It was light and very fast.

It was also quite a bit more stretched out than my 853 inbred and very, very stiff – beat me to bits. The BB always creaked too.

I sold it and stuck with the 853 which is much more pleasant to ride*.

*If you’re looking at racing it, then it’ll be ace

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ 40 mpg … Not racing, too old and fat for that ! … just fancied a different SS frame, bit concerned about the BB issues ive read about though ! … may stick with the 853, few yrs old now but still refuses to die 🙂
    cheers Stumpy

Stevo210
    Free Member

I have a whippet and am interested in going SS. Tyre pressures are key to a plusher ride. As above its a stretched out speed machine.

Garry_Lager

Be good if the bb behaved itself – for all the complaint’s you hear mine’s generally been fine (geared, and is just starting to creak after 2 yrs). SS though, big torque through the bb area.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Mine’s great SS, fully rigid, weighs nowt and flies. Love it.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve got 2. Neither ss,but both have been ridden and raced quite hard. No BB issues whatsoever. Excellent bikes for the money.

ybot
    Free Member

I have a SS Whippet, its also fully rigid with carbon forks and tubeless wheels.

Have to say I love it, seem to spend far more time riding that than my Kula and my fitness has come on loads.

Go for it, you’ll love it.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Any pics available please … pref SS 🙂 ..
    any rough ideas in weigh saving id save over a whippet compared to an 853 inbred frame ? .. both 16 ”

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Borrowed one for a race. Quit because of the creaking BB. was glad because I was doing miserably and was pretty unfit.

Occasionally ride it now and it is a speed machine. Cannot wait to race it this winter. You’ll love it SS. Probably could go into road bike weight territory if you run it rigid as well.

Forgot to say. I hate the dropout design. Makes getting to the brakes a ball ache.

johnnystorm

My Medium SS Whippet with flows and nothing special parts wise weighed about 17lbs. Factor in my scales might be lying and its still bloody good.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘On One whippet as a SS ?’ is closed to new replies.