• This topic has 45 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Jase.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • On One Warranty. Would you accept this?
  • billyboy
    Free Member

My Ti 456 developed a crake on the top tube.

I take the bike apart and send the frame to On One. They are very good, they even pay my postage.

They send it to Lynskey.

Lynskey send On One back a replacement On One frame which On One post to me…there was a delay of a week when I was waiting for it to arrive where they had omitted to post it…we all make mistakes, forgive me…no problem.

The warranty frame has FSA headset cups at top and bottom of the headtube but no crown race or headcap!!! The bearings in these cups are knackered. So it must be a second hand used frame!!

No problem. I can just knock this out and use my old kit and I’ve checked and the frame is true in all respects………

BUT

It has a dent on the non driveside of the top tube. It’s not major, but it goes in 2mm and is the beadth of my little finger.

Should I swallow this and build the bike back up or should I send it back and wait another couple of months????

peteimpreza

You need to ask?

Send it back.

bol

Not a chance. Sounds bang out of order. Surely they should either fix your frame or send you a new one?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Send it back.

nuke

Send it back

I thought the warranty would be that your frame is sent back to Lynskey, they repair it, you get your frame back.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i think you will get accord on this one it is a shonky sh frame and one would assume a simple postage error.

allthepies
    Free Member

Warranty frame == new frame not used.

Give em the hairdrier treatment on the phone.

(Whoever sent in their knackered, dented frame to on-one must be surprised to receive a brand new one in the post 😉 )

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Send the bugger back!

And get a full refund. And then buy something else. That’s just taking the pee, and bang out of order.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Whoops! Send it back-it may be a genuine mistake, if not its more than a little bit out of order and I cant really see a company wanting the bad publicity of doing something like that on purpose.

br
    Free Member

Just ring up On One.

But I guess the other option may be a non-Lynskey replacement?

When I crashed and damaged my 456Ti, it was repaired by Lynskey (via On One) back to ‘new’ – only issue was the few months it took.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

call ask and find out probably a postage error

DFaffMaster

Billyboy please send it back to On One as that sounds like my wifes frame that was sent off for a warranty claim!

It was cracked on the underside of the top tube and headtube and had the exact dent in the top tube you mentioned.

ON ONE you are bunch of muppets, please sort this out!

DFaffMaster

Same FSA knackered headset cups too!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh dear. 😆

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Tick, sits back & waits to see if it pans out.

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

Lynskey are pretty pony, their frames seem to be cracking left right and centre.

PePPeR

Oops. At least you now know whose frame you have 😉

br
    Free Member

Lynskey are pretty pony, their frames seem to be cracking left right and centre.

You are quite correct, just call me and I’ll come pick them up for free.

Joe

lol. So funny.

yossarian
    Free Member

Well sounds like a genuine mistake to me.

Call 999 just to be sure though

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Wait a couple of months !!!!

Maybe you should be pointing out the sale of goods act to them …

… Retailer must repair or replace ‘within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience’

I’d guestimate that not having a bike for a couple of months comes under the significant inconvenience bit …

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed maightmarmite altho in this case it sounds like a simple mistake

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A ‘simple mistake’?

More like someone din’t do their job propply and ensure the right thing was sent to the right person. How difficult is that ffs?

I’m assuming the boxes the frames are sent back in are opened and the contents checked? So how on Earth can a damaged frame end up back in a box, and sent to someone? Would the frame not end up in a skip/workshop to be repaired?

Come on, let’s have a lynching! It’s more fun than accepting a simple innocent explanation….

jonb
    Free Member

I’d be phoning them up as it’s much better than emailing etc.

Reasonable time is open to debate and in some circumstances a few months could be considered reasonable (i.e. they have no frames in stock and need to wait for some to be made and delivered).

It could be a simple mistake and as a general rule I find I get a much more cooperative response out of people if I am polite, fair but firm. If someone phoned me up and was aggressive their request would go straight to to the bottom of the queue or be binned if I was busy. However, the polite friendly request with a bit of explaination and a well thought out response would probably get done immediately.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Look at it this way if they give you a Van Nicholas 456 replacement you get the swapout, iscg mounts and lifetime frame guarantee and isn’t that according to the VN website a new frame and not a repair.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Whatever had happened I’d suggest being calm and polite with OO.

IME they’ll sort it out, but getting shirty does no good at all. 🙂

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Im pretty sure the intent of the reasonable time is to make retailers take responsibility for issues, and not to pass the buck back to the manufacture.

In an ideal world the retailer should put there hand up, grab whatever satisfies the client off the shelf, hand it over and then deal with their supplier behind the scenes (stress the ideal world … without clients who smash things up and expect them to last forever … which isn’t the case here). It is the RETAILERS decision to replace or repair, not the supplier.

That is after all why there is the option to replace with a similar product within the act, and what the retailer should be calculating a % of their mark up on (failure rates).

Having been on both ends of the situation many times I can certainly understand the frustration of a client, who has spent considerable amounts of their hard earned money only to be let down by poor quality and venting it at those that are there to take responsibility (the retailer).

And I’d me MASSIVELY disappointed if any retailer took it upon themselves to ignore their legal responsibilities by binning the complaint … which surely is not only going to make the situation worse for them, but also reflect negatively on the manufacture / product off which they earn their living.

mrmo
    Free Member

out of interest how old is the original frame. DO NOT confuse sales of Goods act with Warranty. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING!!!!!!

On one may have screwed up, etc. and this has nothing to do with that discussion. But the OP has not said how old the frame was. Under SoGA your contract is with On-One but if it no longer applies then look at what the warranty offers.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

mrmo, you are right, the Sale of Goods act supersedes any Warranty … and lasts for the useful life of the product (taking durability into account) and is the Retailers responsibility. Warranties are handy if anything should happen to the retailer.

Unfortunately (and certainly not saying the case here) retailers tend to buck their responsibilities by relying on the manufactures warranty to repair / replace.

In my (albeit jaded) eyes, if retailers were held to task over this a little more product design may start to incorporate an element of durability beyond the current annual update cycle.

Personally i get fed up of headsets that last a month, pedals that collapse after 4 and frames that crack after XXXX.

graham1975
    Free Member

I do not think id accept it, but it may work like sky and mobile phone warrenties, if you buy a replacement box they send you a reconditioned one, and if you claim on your mobile phone insurance they send you a 2nd hand one and not a new one, i may be wrong but if its within 3 month they have to replace it with a brand new one or full refund, then after 6 month its upto you to proove its there fault and after 9 month they can replace it with a like for like / refurbed one or a refund.
    Id tell on one and if they offer to sort it out, tell them you are going to use the used frame untill your new one comes, that way you wont be without a bike.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No graham – they never have the right to replace your frame with a secondhand one. If you ask for a refund and youhave already had ue of it for a significant % of its expected life then only a partial refund might be appropriate

ScottChegg
    Free Member

TJ – Nah, Ti is a frame for life, isn’t it?

showerman
    Free Member

Ti is a frame for life, isn’t it?
    “NO” so is marrage but they go tits up to, had 2 ti frames fail but just upgrade them via warranty

speaker2animals

Ti as a material does “not” corrode so people assume that a Ti product will last “forever”. This totally ignores (in the case of a cycle frame) the fact that the Ti has to be formed into tubes, so imperfections can occur during this process, the tubes then have to be welded into a frame and the possibility of more imperfections arising in the whole structure can occur here.

Unfortunately some people (and manufacturers tend to support/promote this) confuse the properties of a material with the properties of an artefact constructed from said material.

lardarse
    Free Member

have to say i would send it back email them the link to these replies m8

billyboy
    Free Member

D Faff Master

This frame I’ve been sent under warranty is a Ti456 18″ in the pewter/matte finish with silver flame effect on the down tube around the On One logo, and has the strengthening strutt between the non driveside stays that my earlier model lacked.

It has the FSA headset cups as described, an ordinary bolt up seatclamp in black and silver, and the dent on the non driveside top tube 2″ or so from the headtube.

Is that definately your old frame? Do you still have the serial No so I can tell for certain?

billyboy
    Free Member

D Faff Master

If you mailed me direct at……

billyboy.chapman@tiscali.co.uk

…….it’d be very helpful.

Ta

allthepies
    Free Member

C’mon, how many frames sent to on-one have exactly the same damage + existing named headset. Course it’s the same frame.

daveplanetx
    Free Member

billyboy – sorry about this , it sounds like a right crock of sh*** on our side and the best weve got is an apology and the hope we can try to sort something for you this week.

Given that it probably sounds like you have faffmasters frame we will probably need to get that frame back and sent on ..

Weve had a few staff changes recently , lost a few including three of our most longstanding , and only just replaced them – so weve been a bit stretched and our customer service and returns processes havent been good enough – getting the new staff up to speed quickly has been challenging .

Our returns person also left a month ago and this item probably straddled the staff change and Id reckon in our defence this is definitely a genuine mistake , but its still a mistake and thats not good enough .

If you mail me at dave@planet-x-bikes.com and include returns no / original order / phone number then I will get in touch monday .

Same goes to faffmaster please get in touch and I will try to sort . .

Stoner
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘On One Warranty. Would you accept this?’ is closed to new replies.