Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • On-One tyres – anyone know owt?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

about any new varieties? Brant hinted at a cross mark alike

campkoala
    Free Member

Just buy a cross mark, Brant hasn’t got a clue what makes a decent mtb tyre tread, if it actually turns out any good it’ll just be blind luck or an outright copy

ahwiles
    Free Member

Brant doesn’t design the tyres – does he?

but, whoever does, knows what they’re doing, smorgasboards / chunkymonkeys are jolly good, and stonking value.

campkoala
    Free Member

Yeah, I know! he gets Shiggy to, someone who seems to know quite a bit more about tyres and has a website all about them but as is evident in the tread patterns he comes up with doesn’t really fully understand how to design a tyre tread himself, not that it will worry many on here as all they want is large volume and soft compounds in a durable not overly heavy package at a budget price. If that’s “jolly good” enough for you great!

JoeG
    Free Member

On-One’s Floater fatbike tire is excellent, IME! Works well in most conditions, except sand. Shiggy designed it. They cost 1/2 as much as the 120 tpi Surly/QBP branded tires…

jruk
    Free Member

I’m thinking of replacing my 2.35 high rollers (leave ’em on all year round) with smorgasboards. Will I die? Any direct comparisons?

ahwiles
    Free Member

smorgasboards don’t seem as grippy as a high roller, but they seem to roll a bit faster.

Chunkymonkeys are bit grippier.

tmb467
    Free Member

not that it will worry many on here as all they want is large volume and soft compounds in a durable not overly heavy package at a budget price

Got it in one

If you don’t like the product don’t buy it – there are other tyres available at higher prices with potentially ‘better’ treads (although better for what?). In my experience, the large volume, durable, grippy, cheap tyre that they have produced has a good enough tread pattern for me. I’m still alive after 6 months of running a CM / Smorg combo but perhaps my tread pattern was wrong and all those times I didn’t fall off where a bit closer than I thought they might be

I’m just curious whether you’ve got a grudge against the people who buy these tyres, the people who design for a specific market that you don’t seem to be part of or is it specific and personal?

andybanks
    Free Member

I live the smorgasbord tyres. Run then front and back and find them exceptionally grippy.

Can’t see me changing them to be honest.

mduncombe
    Free Member

Brant hasn’t got a clue what makes a decent mtb tyre tread

I dont think he claims to, Brant designs bikes doesnt he?

Yeah, I know! he gets Shiggy to

I dont think Brant got Shiggy to do anything, On One employed Shiggy to design tyres from what I understand. On One also employed Brant to design bikes/frames.

but as is evident in the tread patterns he comes up with doesn’t really fully understand how to design a tyre tread himself

Care to enlighten us further?

RustySpanner

I really like the Smorgs:

Fadt enough, high volume, tough and last well.
    They don’t feel as confident as an XR4 or an Ignitor when leant over, but they grip very well.
    And they’re a third of the price.

I’ll be buying more.

andybanks
    Free Member

I think there’s a common thread here – they’re great value for money.

They do 90% of what the more premium tyres do for 30% of the cost.

Seems to be the same with all On One products. Can’t fault them really.

scaredypants

I love a bit of implied expertise

– course, you lot don’t understand it properly at all 😉

Northwind

Yeah, it is a shit trick to say “Nyah nyah it’s obvious you know nothing” while showing no knowledge of your own. If you want to criticise, put some meat on the bones.

ste_t
    Free Member

CM is the second most confidence inspiring tyre I’ve tried after a ST Minion, but without the soul destroying drag that you get with the Minion. It did replace a Fat Albert, easily the most terrifying tyre I have ever used, so may have skewed my opinion a tad.

jruk
    Free Member

smorgasboards don’t seem as grippy as a high roller, but they seem to roll a bit faster.

Thanks for the tip off. Will be sticking to HRs for now me thinks.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

They are a bit heavy though…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘On-One tyres – anyone know owt?’ is closed to new replies.