Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 262 total)
  • On-One Smorgasbord tyres
  • Euro
    Free Member

Anyway… I’ve never found a proper 60a Maxxis wanting on any UK trails, it’s their harder 70a compound that suffers. Most dual compound trail tyres are around 55a on the edges, and 60-65a in the centre iirc. 42a on a trail tyre not needed I reckon. Tread pattern looks like it could be quite a good all round tyre though, maybe bit more suited to the rear than the front with its quite rounded profile, but who knows!

A nicely rounded, dual compound, trail tyre might suit a thrasher more than a mincer? and UK is a big place too. The average rider has maybe sampled about 1% of the trails on offer if they’ve put themselves about a bit.

I’m in the market for a set of trail tyres to replace the ones that came on my 456. These might be worth a punt although a bit more tread depth would be nice.

Brant, any chance of a free set to test???

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ll just buy mine next week from the ‘for sale’ bit.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

The price increase was due to them flying off the shelves more than anything else. They would haver been priced keenly to sell them and it is a new product from an un-proven brand (in the tyre sense). They sold out in what, 2 days!? so On-One put the price up, demand is obviously there! Now if On-One only put the price up by about £2 they would be worse off due to the free postage issue so by putting them up to £25 they are making an extra £2-£3 on the tyre. Simples really and absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Has made it fun though… 🙂

For what it’s worth, I think the 60 durometer one will suite most people fine and only the shredders (or people who think they are) going for the dual compound version. After all, Maxxis don’t offer an 60\42 on any of their tyres except maybe the downhill ones, and even then people complain about the 42 durometer ones being too draggy.

was worth a punt for £20 but for £25 i’ll stick with the ones I have. Will probably pick one up in the sales though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

so yesterday they had lots in stock of all the tyres, compounds and sizes and today they sold out of them all at the same time just as they increased the price …. Call me a cynic here but I am not buying [ top punning eh] that.

edlong
    Free Member

So while you lot were moaning, I ordered a pair (at £19.99 ea) late Wednesday afternoon and they were delivered (free) yesterday lunchtime. I’m fairly happy about that.

To be honest, I would have probably been comfortable paying a couple of quid more for sub-24 hour delivery.

They look good out of the box, I’ll let you know how they roll over the weekend…

uwe-r
    Free Member

I quite like the look of the on one stems but the nice colours (i.e. black) are all £29.99 and the goping gold is £19.99.

Now I would happily pay £19.99 but I cant have goping gold on my bike – it would look shit and I cant pay an extras £10 for black because that is just vein.

I’m not doing a junkyard though and seeing my arse – i understand that they would have no chance selling those gold things at £29.99 unless Mr T decided to string some together into a necklace!

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/STOOCNC/on_one_ultralight_cnc_stem

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

They look good out of the box, I’ll let you know how they roll over the weekend…

Which tyre did you get??
    Will you use it front or rear?
    Will be pleased to hear your opinion. Waiting…
    Thanks!

Stoner
    Free Member

leigh0rough0riders – Member

Which tyre did you get??
    Will you use it front or rear?
    Will be pleased to hear your opinion. Waiting…
    Thanks!

why do you care?

Yeah just put 2 in the basket and the price went up by £10. So I promptly removed them.
    I’ll look at some thing else.

I can confirm directly as a result of this thread and out of principle – I would now not buy them or possibly anything else from them.
    So One-On Do-One!

nbt

Tyres now back in stock. That’s bloody fast “just in time” delivery!

lipseal
    Free Member

Think I’ll wait and see what all the fuss is about. 😐

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

Stoner why do you care?

Because I am interested to learn about good tyres and I need 2.
    They looked an interesting tyre and I would like to know how they perform.
    Plus in any case On-One has since contacted me and honoured the basket price. I had 2 in my basket when the price went up. It is logged in their system! But I am now in 2 minds, because after I looked other good tyres that might be better.

Stoner
    Free Member

I like a man with flexible principles.

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers Brant for the £15 tyre…

I’ll put a review up on here when I’ve got a few rides in, to let everyone else know how good their £25 tyres will be! 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I will give you £20 for it posted

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer Junky. Gonna use it first though, looks like it should be quite good!

brant
    Free Member

Enjoy!

Stoner
    Free Member

pfft, you were ‘ad! 😉

dmorts

My 2 cents…

So, ripped my 29er front tyre last week and also saw that these On One tyres had come out at £19.99. Bargain! However I put off buying one until today (not had time, plus wanted to check in the shed for any other bits I need)…. and now £24.99 has put me off completely, mainly because if I look at CRC and even at other tyres on On One at similar prices, the Smorgasbord no longer stands out due to the new price…. If the £19.99 price had remained I’d have bought other things (inner tubes, cables etc) to put the price over £20, always in need of bike bits. Now a proper Maxxis tyre from CRC looks a better option plus they’re tried and tested, with reviews readily available.

I was really hoping to try these out and if they’re any good get them for my Meta too. I’ve spent far too much money on tyres I end not getting on with. That extra £5 might not actually be much but last week for £25 I could have got a tyre and an inner tube or two

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why did you do that dmorts…they will be £30 by the end of the day now….oh how I will laugh at the brilliance that is Brant as I also ride off on my CRC purchased tyres.

mboy
    Free Member

pfft, you were ‘ad!

Was mainly just to wind Junky up!

That I have a tyre sat (still in the car) doing nothing yet, is by the by…

Probably try it out on the front of my full sus first.

brant
    Free Member

Some slightly muddy smorgys on offer soon as we unpack our Mayhem stock.
    They will be £19.99 🙂

toons
    Free Member

website says £19.99, but when you click the link they’re £24.99!

brant
    Free Member

dmorts

Ha! Definitely not buying any now. I also hope that you had these tyres for sale at £29.99 for 28 days before cutting the price to £19.99 (or as of now £24.99). From the email I got it seems these were only launched on the 20th June…..

Legal stuff

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a High Roller.

😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maxxis don’t offer an 60\42 on any of their tyres except maybe the downhill ones, and even then people complain about the 42 durometer ones being too draggy.

They do a 3C version of the DH tyres, which is a 60a base, 42a center and 40a sides.

I love my supertackies in corners, so if these are as good but without the drag uphill they should be good.

Janesy
    Free Member

What the hell is going on at One one / PX – me bro has just bought a bike – 3 weeks to be delievered and the wrong Friggin size!
    £1k you expect good things! PAH!!!

druidh
    Free Member

dmorts – Member
    Ha! Definitely not buying any now. I also hope that you had these tyres for sale at £29.99 for 28 days before cutting the price to £19.99 (or as of now £24.99). From the email I got it seems these were only launched on the 20th June…..

Legal stuff

I raised that point earlier in this thread. CRC are masters at that too. You’ll see Hotlines stuff offered at reduced RRP before it’s even available!!

mountainposture

Ah, so this is the thread Brant mentioned at Mayhem.

Having actually met the bloke, I can say I’ve never been so insulted. He called us ‘ladies’. Shocking. There was also banter of a tyre-related nature as we rode past on an evening lap.

After this, I may or may not buy some tyres.

mboy
    Free Member

Just fitted it to the front wheel of my full sus bike… It’s a rounder profile than you might expect.

That’s on a Mavic EN521 rim, 28mm external width and 21mm internal width. I’m used to tyres with a little more side knobble height, but I’ll give it a quick go on the front first before I try it on the rear. I’d certainly not want to put it on a narrower rim myself though, and would even consider something wider like a Flow or wider still might be ideal.

Casing is definitely a pukka Maxxis job, looks and feels to all intents and purposes just like an expensive Crossmark or Advantage or the like. Which should mean it will also run tubeless pretty well.

Tread pattern looks like it should hook up pretty well too, and be fast enough rolling. Though the proof is in the pudding of course.

Oh, and for the weight weenies… Bang on 800g on the nose. Not light, but this is more of an alternative to something like a Minion DHF or the likes than it is a Schwalbe Nobby Nic I’d say. Will report back more when I’ve ridden it.

BrickMan

TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES
    I come to STW and all I see is
    TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES TYRES

Actually always been impressed with on-ones efficiency of delivery, and the prices! I just picked up a pair of £45 rrp tyres for under £30 posted from them**

** the fact they were both meant to be tubeless ready, and are in fact so sloppy / slack that one has already popped off the rim even with a tube in it is irrelevant. They responded and offered refund/ swap immediately, but I decided to keep them (and have now finally gone tubeless with them, but only by using the largest compressor you have ever seen and 250psi (>100psi over what the line was rated at), which 99.99% of people/bike shops/most workshops do not have lol.

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

Just fitted it to the front wheel of my full sus bike… It’s a rounder profile than you might expect.

It actually looks a lot better in your shot than the advertised photos. The tread looked very shallow, but I can see now it is deeper. They look a good tyre and a lot of thought gone into it. But not sure if they will wear well.
    I am just on the brink of buying Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili with 180tpi (850g), which I thought might be better for all round (year) British conditions, but I might hang on for your report on how the Smorgasbord handle.

mboy
    Free Member

Conti Baron’s are more of a winter tyre from what it looks like. I know it’s June now, and it might as well be winter, but hey, let’s be positive for once! Baron’s are supposed to be very grippy, but a bit slow, they’re also not that wide for a 2.3″ tyre.

leigh0rough0riders
    Free Member

I think I need to be realistic. Most tyres are designed in general and for more stable climates and surfaces, but the U.K. does not have general weather or terrain conditions. I presume a winter tyre means wet, muddy, slippy and wet roots. Which can be half of a U.K. summer ride. So it is difficult to pick the best tyre without changing tyres during the ride. I don’t see many hot, hard pack, dusty trails, so I am drawn to the Baron for the all round / year tyre. But still would be good to hear how the Smorgasbord perform in the British terrain.

Northwind

Barons are a mud tyre but they’re not bad at all on hard stuff- bit draggier, and a bit less outright grip than a tyre designed for the job but they still do well (they do come up fractionally undersized, 2.28 for the 2.3, but that’s pretty trivial).

Just depends where you want to make your sacrifices.

brant
    Free Member

From twitter.

@chalky9: @shedfire Out in the mud and shit today after heavy rain. Those tyres corner and ride off cambers like no other 29er tyre. Amazing….

Chalky9 is one of the testers for Dirt magazine.

mboy
    Free Member

Just got back from my first ride using this tyre.

(photo for proof! 😉 )

Haven’t ridden it that far yet, just one ride of a couple of hours, but the Malverns is covered in pretty steep and varied surfaces. It’s a good testing ground to find a tyres weakspots.

Before I go into further detail, I have to say that the tyre is definitely tall and quite “pinched” for its size, on my 521 rim which isn’t exactly narrow it comes up narrower than a 2.25″ Maxxis Crossmark but also noticably taller. It’s not as tall and round as an old WTB 2.4″ Motoraptor for instance (if you remember those), but I usually prefer a slightly squarer tyre… That said, here’s some observations…

Pro’s

-Maxxis 60a rubber compound is grippy and predictable
    -Only run on the front so far, but seems pretty quick rolling, will report back again when it’s been on the back
    -Braking grip is very good, you’ll rip the valves off your inner tubes or boil your brakes before this lets go
    -Very good on firm/hardpack/rocky off camber sections. There’s a section on a trail I ride that I’ve only ever cleared once before (Black Chili Rubber Queen up front), this stuck to it like a fly to fly paper, and I’ve only got the single compound 60a tyre

Cons

-There is no edge bite in softer ground. And I mean none. The side knobbles are too shallow for any meaningful grip when run on the front if the terrain you ride requires any decent edge bite. Not an issue on hard/rocky terrain (where the tyre seems to excel), but for me I found whenever I was on softer dirt or even in some mud, the front end of the bike just pushed on badly.
    -It’s tall and round compared to most 2.25″ tyres. I would recommend running these on very wide rims. My Mavic 521’s would probably be a minimum, but I’m betting these things would be very good on something like a Velocity P35. You won’t want to run them on a Mavic 717!!!
    -It squirms a bit, partly cos it’s tall. It feels like adding half an inch or so extra to your suspension (so it might well make a very good rear tyre on a hardtail), but along with the fact it doesn’t bite well in softer terrain, I found it hard to have any confidence in it unless on rock or hardpack (where it really does bite).

I don’t know what the brief was when designing this tyre, and I’d be interested to know what rims the test riders were riding them on (I expect they were wide), but it seems to me the tyre has been designed for all out grip on very firm surfaces and as such has lost out quite a bit on softer surfaces. I think if you ride mainly trail centres, or places like the Peaks, or basically anywhere where you don’t really need edge bite from a tyre (or where tall edge knobbles are a disadvantage not an advantage), you’ll love these tyres. It’s definitely not as good as many for softer terrain though.

Will probably try it on the back of my hardtail rather than my full sus bike, I suspect it would suit quite well there given it seems to grip very well in a straight line (traction and braking), and the lack of edge bite will be less of a disadvantage there, but the tall round profile will also add a bit of comfort.

I know I’ve only done one ride but purposefully took it on a whole selection of different terrain, and down some very steep technical sections. I’m notoriously fussy about tyres, and have ridden so many of the bloody things over the years trying to find the perfect ones. All the above said, they’re cracking value for the quality compared to other makes, and if you ride mainly hardpacked and rocky places and have wide rims on your bike, you will swear by them!

For reference, my default front tyre these days is normally a 2.2″ Black Chili Rubber Queen which just seems to grip on everything I throw at it, though often run a 2.25″ Michelin WildRock’r (HUGE for a 2.25, and Big edge knobs) up front on my full sus bike which doesn’t grip as well on the hardpack and rocks, but bites much better in the softer conditions.

RustySpanner

Mboy, there’s a link on page 1 that explains the designer’s intentions:
    Link.

Is there a huge gap between the centre blocks and the side blocks, like a High Roller, or is the tread a bit more continuous , say like an Ignitor?
    Bit hard to tell from the pics.

Personally, I’m more of a fan of rounded tyres with continuous tread – never understood why designers leave a gap in the first place.
    No idea what it achieves except to scare the gravy out of people – surely you can have continuous tread, decent side blocks and a lowish rolling resistance?
    XR4’s, Purgatories and Advantages manage it just fine.

Might try a couple if they drop ’em to £19.99 again, but for £24.00 I can get a Purgatory, I tyre I know I’m going to get on with.

Er, after I’ve worn out the Minion, Advantage, Ignitor, Crossmark and Cinder I’m currently hoarding as ‘spares’ 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Is there a huge gap between the centre blocks and the side blocks, like a High Roller, or is the tread a

No, the profile is just too round… So unless you’re on a surface with enough inherent grip itself, you kind of just fall off the centre tread onto nothing as the side blocks aren’t tall enough.

With a High roller, which is a much flatter, squarer profile tyre, once you fall off the centre tread onto the notorious gap, there’s not much grip, but when you rail it over far enough the big grippy side knobs come into play. High Rollers are a bit all or nothing, but if you grab em by the scruff of the neck and really lean the bike into corners, they bite.

or is the tread a bit more continuous , say like an Ignitor?

More like a Kenda Nevegal if anything. In fact, if you like Kenda Nevegals, you’ll love these tyres, as they feel like a faster rolling version of the Nevegal. To me at least…

Personally, I’m more of a fan of rounded tyres with continuous tread – never understood why designers leave a gap in the first place.

Give em a go then… It’s all personal taste. On the contrary I’ve usually got on better with tyres with pronounced side knobbles like the High Rollers, Michelin Comp 16’s etc.

XR4’s, Purgatories and Advantages manage it just fine

I’m no fan of the XR4’s either. For some reason I find they don’t bite very well in softer conditions either, and to be honest they’re a bit meh… Quick enough rolling, but not all that good anywhere. Too big maybe, tread pattern would probably work better if they weren’t so huge!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘On-One Smorgasbord tyres’ is closed to new replies.