• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • On One Scandal sizing
  • Santaslittlehelper
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a Scandal frame, normally I take a 19.5″ frame, but none in stock at On One so looking at the geometry I’m judging whether a 21″ frame will be ok.
    Much of my riding is XC so I don’t need a “flickable” frame as such.
    Anyone run a 21″ frame? How do they size up.

I’m 6′ and 32″ inside leg so just on the edge of the On One sizing guide.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

brant
    Free Member

21in too big for a six footer.
    18in would be perfect.

johnny

I have a 19.5, i’m 6 foot with a 33″ inside leg.

it’s plenty long enough for me, currently running it with an 80mm stem, for XC riding and a bit of racing.

You may be able to get away with it- run a short stem, and they are quite long and low, so there should still be some standover..? Big wheels and a slightly big frame might add up to a proper gate though…!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

I’m 6ft and 34 inside leg. Ride an 18inch with 90mm stem and wide 3deg flat bar. Plenty big enough, and I use it mainly for racing.

21 will feel like a gate.

Northwind

FWIW every time Brant’s recommended me a frame size it’s turned out to be too small… (small Scandal and Mmmbop) and I’ve ended up replacing it with one size up. Just an observation 😉

Personally I’d say if you can’t get the size you actually want, don’t compromise… But ymmv.

Santaslittlehelper
    Free Member

You’ve no stock of that size though Brant!
    Are there going to be any more deliveries of Scandal frames or is that it?

Santaslittlehelper
    Free Member

I’d be running a 50/60mm stem and 740 bars. I can only estimate stand over at approx 820mm which doesn’t leave any room!!

Santaslittlehelper
    Free Member

Should have mentioned I’m looking at a 29er frame.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

18 inch Scandal here 33 inch leg 5 ft 10. Fits perfectly.

cp

I’m 18inch on both 26er and 29er. I also have a 20inch 26er inbred, and that is gate like!

robbieh
    Free Member

29er here at 19.5in. I.m 6ft 1/2 ” 34 leg, could have gone 18 I think. I’ve ridden Thrustys 18″ 26er and it felt fine.

scandalous
    Free Member

I am 6’2 and prefer small frames but my 19.5 scandal was the best fitting bike I have had. However, I was not using it for a throw around beast and was set up for long distance xc / bikepacking. loved it!

Garry_Lager

I’m similar dimensions to the OP and always feel between sizes on the scandal / whippet geometry – owned both and feel like I need a 110mm stem on them. Saying that, the med is definitely closer to being right for me than a large, I reckon. Think the 21 would not be a good choice.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Robbie, you did look a bit big on it though, like it was BMX and you are more ‘lanky’ and ‘gangly’ than me. I felt your 29 er was a bit big for me framewise.

29er here at 19.5in. I.m 6ft 1/2 ” 34 leg, could have gone 18 I think. I’ve ridden Thrustys 18″ 26er and it felt fine.

sandwicheater

6ft 3 here and 19.5 frame is perfect.

If you in W Yorks you can try mine for size.

Came from a 21 inch 456.

andyg68

6’1.5″, 33″ inside leg here and on an 18″ Scandal 29er. Tried a 19.5″ lurcher (I think) and I knew where the cross bar was! Was previously on a 20″ Handsome Dog 26er that somebody else took a fancy to.

ChrisA
    Free Member

I have an 18″ 26er, it’s running a 100mm stem and its a good size. I’m 5’11 with 29″ legs, usually i prefer bigger frames. I’ve got a lot of seatpost showing and If I was much taller I’d want the 19.5. I’d say I was on the limit of the 18″

DrP

I’m 5’10” and ride an 18″ 29er..
    I suppose I could have done with the next size up – I’ve got plenty of seat post on show!

I think if I were 6 foot, I’d certainly find the frame too small – have I just got freakishly long legs perhaps?!

DrP

Yak

DrP – looks fine!

I ride an 18″ too and i’m 5’8″ with 31.5″ legs. Fits fine with a 90mm stem. Had 16″ in the past but always felt cramped or ended up with 100mm or longer stems. So would have thought 6 footers would be on something bigger than an 18″?

ocrider

Its funny how the guys under 6ft dont like the 18″ Scandal

I’m just shy of 6’1 with a 33 inch inside leg and ride an 18″ Scandal with flat, wide bars (Sunline V1, uncut) and a 60mm stem.
    I don’t race, but I do get to pretend that I drive a bus in the woods 😆 Which suits me fine.

Edit: My previous bike, a 26er, was a gate. Boy was I missing out on all the fun.

ratherbeintobago

Any official word on whether the Scandal is discontinued or not?

emac65
    Free Member

6’1″ & a 19.5 Scandal fits me just right,21 would be to big for you imo but you may get away with an 18″ one….That’s if you can get one,think I had one of the last 19.5’s two weeks ago…

PS It’s a great frame 🙂

DrP

Don’t get me wrong – the current set up fits great and feels fine.
    I’ve just been ribbed a few times for having lots of my Thomson (fnar fnar) on show!

DrP

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘On One Scandal sizing’ is closed to new replies.