Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • On-one prices
  • STATO
    Free Member

Why dont on-one/PX just pick a price and stick with it?

Last week, steel swapout frames £199
    This week steel swapout frames £225

Yesterday, swapout scandal £250
    Today, swapout scandal £299

Summer, REBA RL 29er, £250
    Autumn, REBA RL 29er, £399
    Now, REBA RL 29er, £299

and thats just the ones ive noticed.

SorRY for THE lacK of random CAps, self rating 2/10 😆

STATO
    Free Member

456 SS now £199!!! which idiots are paying that!!

deviant
    Free Member

They are approaching the kind of price point where people will think twice about buying an On-One and just save a little bit more money and buy a decent 853 steel frame from somebody else….the beauty of the 456 (and the others) was that they were so cheap people were prepared to put up with the heavy and harsh steel they used.

thomthumb
    Free Member

They are approaching the kind of price point where people will think twice about buying an On-One and just save a little bit more money and buy a decent 853 steel frame from somebody else

yep. that is me. I was waiting for inbred 29ers but then they turned up and the price was high – now looking at other options.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ramp up price and then discount in a sale

oldest trick in the book

coming soon – “456 SS frames, was £199 now only £99.50 save 50%”

allthepies
    Free Member

Must be Brant’s hefty wages and rock-star T’s and C’s 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They are approaching the kind of price point where people will think twice about buying an On-One and just save a little bit more money and buy a decent 853 steel frame from somebody else

I’ve just bought (a seconhand as they were out of stock) Singular for that very reason. Ok it’s the same steel, but it looks nicer.

D0NK

Ok it’s the same steel, but it looks nicer

that right? £440 looks a bit pricey for bog standard tubing then. I’d assumed it was some fancy reynolds stuff.

edit ah I see you get forks seat clamp too, looking a little better.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I presume it’s still some unbranded 4130, which isn’t a bad thing. I’d put geometry and to a much lesser extent, butting ahead of the type of steel any day.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I guess it depends where/how much/how cheap thay get their stock. If it’s cheap, they sell it cheap, if it’s not, they don’t.

brant
    Free Member

The waybackmachine link to the on-one site from 5yrs ago, showing 456’s at a “new low price” of £225

Bearing in mind the inbred (26 and 29) have the “Swapout” system, all machined CNCd alloy thingies and bolts, I think they are incredibly well priced. I can’t think of a comparable frame at that price.

They were £199 yesterday, but I told Frank, as I left the office to “put them up to £225 if they are selling too quick, as that’s what they used to be ages ago”. Looks like that’s what happened! Cheeky Frank! 🙂

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Why does the new El Guapo have £2999.99 crossed out next to the price?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Why does it say, “from £169.99”, for the steel 456 but all the ones I saw were £199.99

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why does it say, “from £169.99”, for the steel 456 but all the ones I saw were £199.99

Brant worked for CRC remember? He’s just forgotten to order a 26″ framed, shop soiled, 29er in pink and blue to sell at that price :p

slugwash
    Free Member

I dragged my 456 out of the shed this morning for the first time in three months. **** me, I’d forgotten how heavy that bike is!

I reckon the scrap value of all that DN6 tubing is probably well in excess of the £169 I paid for the frame a year ago 😉

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I just got a pompino frame.. and glad I looked twice.
    The same frame was £129 on one page, £169 on another… at the same time.. 🙄
    They also had a scratched one going cheap.. £199 down to £149!

I asked them a couple of times to get back to me with a realistic price for the scratched one. They never did, so I thought fup them, I’ll get the other bits for the build from CRC and ebay.

Paceman
    Free Member

Bearing in mind the inbred (26 and 29) have the “Swapout” system, all machined CNCd alloy thingies and bolts, I think they are incredibly well priced. I can’t think of a comparable frame at that price.

They were £199 yesterday, but I told Frank, as I left the office to “put them up to £225 if they are selling too quick, as that’s what they used to be ages ago”. Looks like that’s what happened! Cheeky Frank!

Good for you Brant, still a great price for a very good product IMO. 😀

Prices in many other areas of the cycling industry have increased massively in the last 2-3 years.

epicyclo

I’ve never grudged a cent of any money I spent on On-Ones. They are better value for money than any other bike out there IMO.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I agree they’re still good value, it’s that (to paraphrase George Orwell) some are better value than others, on different days. The swopout inbreds are now only 25% less than the C456 was at it’s lowest price a few months back!

Paceman
    Free Member

Supply and demand old boy, supply and demand 😉

Clobber
    Free Member

Ok it’s the same steel, but it looks nicer
    that right? £440 looks a bit pricey for bog standard tubing then. I’d assumed it was some fancy reynolds stuff.
    edit ah I see you get forks seat clamp too, looking a little better.

Having built a swift and an inbred, in comparison the inbred looks as if it was built by a blind man with one arm on his last day at work after he had been to the pub, but I guess you get what you pay for…

docrobster
    Free Member

I watched a 456ss on eBay the other week. Went for £117 (inc headset) so clearly demand is there.
    456 weighs pretty similar to a dialled alpine, bfe, pipedream sirius etc doesn’t it?
    Soul is lighter but £££
    Consistent pricing would help though!

D0NK

Re singulars yeah sorry was oversimplifying there wasn’t I, same material does not equal same tube profile/butting and workmanship. Doh!
    (OO geom seems fine IMO)

nicksar
    Free Member

I bought the Glow in the Dark Frame just over a week ago from on-ones website £169 well sent I think.

bigjim

I can’t think of anything that doesn’t undergo price changes, don’t see why the same can’t apply to bike stuff?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can’t think of anything that doesn’t undergo price changes, don’t see why the same can’t apply to bike stuff?

I can’t think of anything that varies by as much as On-Ones both up and down (long term price rises I don’t begrudge).

For example Scanda 29’ers, £299 for pre-order right now.

But Do I buy one? Will they be any more when they arrive, they come up as £299 out of stock as well? Will they be £250 the day after they arrive, will they do a bundle with forks and a headset for a little more?

Which is why I should have a Swift (metaphoricaly) on my doormat on moneday morning.

STATO
    Free Member

Its the seemingly erratic nature of the changes that irks me a little, like putting the prices up just before/after they send out an email telling people they are now ‘discounted’. Yup, they are, just not as much as they were yesterday, thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like the ramshackle nature of on-one, it can be a bit frustrating though.

Good viral marketing IMO.

devs
    Free Member

Got one of 2 456 SS for sale. Either complete or split up. Watch the classifieds real soon. Much bargainalicious.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can’t think of anything that varies by as much as On-Ones both up and down

I can. Napolina chopped tomatoes in Tesco rotate through full price, half price and BOGOF. If Napolina chopped tomatoes are what you want you just have to wait for the special offer then buy enough to last until the next offer. I’ve bought a few things from On-One and found them to be similar.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

Ramp up price and then discount in a sale

oldest trick in the book

coming soon – “456 SS frames, was £199 now only £99.50 save 50%”

soo true, hate it when shops do this takes the piss,

RestlessNative
    Free Member

The pricing has always been like that though. If you pay £200 for your frame you are getting good value, if that frame is £169 a week later you still got good value…just someone else is gonna get even better value.

Just buy what you want from them then never look at the price of them on the website again!

D0NK

But Do I buy one? Will they be any more when they arrive, they come up as £299 out of stock as well? Will they be £250 the day after they arrive, will they do a bundle with forks and a headset for a little more?

the answer to all those is “it depends” we don’t see all the stuff that goes on in the background and as I’m sure many on here will have flown ryanair/easyjet OO pricing should not come as a shock. Have a look, add what you want to basket, if it seems expensive when you get to checkout don’t click Buy

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have just sold my 2 year old 456 which was in good nic for £95 and I only paid £125 for it so I lost 25% of its value in 2 years

Bet I loose alot more on my Soul if I sold it

Bang for your buck On One cannot be beaten they do ride well but for the first time in 8 years I do not own one

But I have 2 cotic’s 😀

sv

Thinking of buying a Pomp but as pointed out the pricing is so erratic it makes you think twice. Is that good marketing?

bol

I don’t think it’s taking the piss at all. If you like the price, buy; if you don’t, don’t.

Like Al, I rather like the feeling that On-one couldn’t organise a pissup in a brewery – like a genuine online LBS.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

sv – Well it worked for me! I bought one straight away, just in case they stopped being £129!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘On-one prices’ is closed to new replies.