Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • On one Parkwood rear disc help please !!
  • renton
    Free Member

Ive finally finished building this up and put a 160mm rear disc on the back as per what it would come with from On one.

However , the bloody thing is warbling like mad.

On closer inspection it looks like the pads are only hitting part of the disc……….

The brake is a standard deore model and the disc is a budget shimano one.

Any ideas what is going on here??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Unless you want to start filing the disc mounts, I’d suggest getting a 180 rotor and calliper mount, and file that down a bit.

renton
    Free Member

I was wondering if it was a 180mm disc thats meant to be fitted?

It looks like its missing around a cm of the disc all round.

Northwind

Some bikes with stupid rear postmount have stupid minimum 180mm rotors, looks like it may be one. First hardtail I’ve seen like that though…

renton
    Free Member

Weird isnt it!

faustus

Pretty sure they’re not for 180mm discs, and the rear on my parkwood has never been a problem. Also, in the pic the rotor seems to fit in the caliper correctly, so might it not just need a bit more bedding in?

I used those rotors on my road bike and noticed a similar thing, I think they need a tad longer to bed in and then they’re fine. I don’t remember having such a warbling problem, that might just be alignment?

The other thing is to check it’s seated all the way in the dropout, i have to do a little shuffle to check this on mine..?

andyl
    Free Member

Looking at the wear on the disc you are about 4-5mm out. I fear that looks like the brake tabs are not right.

jb72
    Free Member

Does the friction material on the pad match the extent of the wear we can see on the disk? As has been said – does it just need bedding in?

A picture from behind would help.

renton
    Free Member

This shows the difference between front and rear hopefully…

Front …

Rear….

The rear disc sits a bit lower between the pads.

faustus

Strange – it looks less than the difference between a 160/180 disc. Tried loosening the QR and slightly splaying the non-drive side against the hub to check it’s fully home in the dropout? I know it’s patronisingly obvious but mine is susceptible to this…

dday

That is odd. Daft question but I’ll ask it anyway – those calibers are not front / rear specific are they?

renton
    Free Member

Its not patronizing at all. I’ve been out and checked the hub is sat correctly in the dropouts.

I’m pretty sure a caliper is a caliper in that they are front or rear specific.

Its got me baffled.

bigjim

my Parkwood has a lot of paint on the dropouts and when you think the wheel is in properly it’s actually only half in, I suspect you can get it in another few mm yet

faustus

This is true – i had mine powdercoated and had to sand off a fair bit of paint on the inside of the dropouts to enable me to fit a 10mm rear thru axle…sand the inside top of the dropout if if has lots of paint accumulated??

faustus

Oops double post!

renton
    Free Member

I should point out that the frame was used and the previous owner didn’t say anything about braking problems.

Ice just been out and done 10 miles to try and bed the brake in and its just shit.

No power and really spongy.

What can I do ?

bigjim

I’ve got 20 dirhams on you not having the wheel all the way into the frame.

Also those rotors say resin pads only, are those sintered pads?

coppice
    Free Member

That wont bed in. My 45650b needed the dropouts filing from new

renton
    Free Member

It’s definitely seated in the frame correctly…..

bigjim

I also have deores on my parkwood so I’ll have a look later or tomorrow night. I’m sure I’m getting proper tracking on mine, but I did have weirdness trying to fit an adapter to run a 180 rotor, it had the same result as you have there, which is odd and I’ve never seen it before.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

There is a rotor compatibility chart on shimanos website, have a look as you might find that caliper is not compatible with that rotor.

Edit it’s towards the bottom of this
    thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/disc-brake-pads-too-low-will-i-die-after-sticking-some-washers-under-caliper

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s not a 150 rotor or something daft? Shimano did used to to 150/160/170/180 to allow for some of the weirder setups (trying to run IS calipers on a post mount frame being top of the list and requiring a 10mm addapter).

renton
    Free Member

Nah it’s definitely a 160mm disc.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Have you got a 180 disc laying about somewhere or cut one out of card just to see as I think that’s all it needs…..

renton
    Free Member

I could take the front one off and try it.

mattyfez

Are the disks true? Lay them on a flat surface.. Just eente thought

scotroutes

And it is definitely a 160 rotor? You’ve measured it?

dudeofdoom

Great 🙂 currently got the same frame in the stand waiting for 180 disc to arrive.

I have a feeling there’s a v2 version of the frame and I’m wondering if it’s a 180 post as standard instead of 160 ..

I think v2 got a 30.9 seat post

Pity we can’t do the incantation anymore ;-(

renton
    Free Member

I’m sure this is the v1 with the 31.6mm seat post.

brant
    Free Member

Pity we can’t do the incantation anymore ;-(

Yes

renton
    Free Member

Hello Brant !!!

Any ideas what’s going on here please.

m0rk
    Free Member

Hello Brant !!!

That’s now how it works…..

andyl
    Free Member

probably easiest to fit a 180 rotor and some washers to space it up. Looks like the upper mount is the one that is wrong.

Northwind

renton – Member

Apparently something is the wrong size.

Well, someone had to say it! Trying it with your 180 rotor is the next step as suggsey said, no point thinking about it more til you’ve done that. With no adaptor. If that doesn’t work either then it’s Legendary On One Build Quality.

renton
    Free Member

Aye, I will swap the rotors around tomorrow see what’s happening.

renton
    Free Member

Ok so I’ve just tried a 180mm disc and that doesn’t fit.

It’s much to big.

I’ve got another 160mm disc on the way to try.

coppice
    Free Member

Ask On-One?

180 disc and washers is looking the best option

superstu
    Free Member

My brother has a parkwood with deore’s I’ll try and ask him about his set up to see if that helps

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Try digging out the “standard” dimensions for post mount. Sure i’ve seen them somewhere before. Measure them up.

Then if its the posts that are wrong, get them faced (lots).

The last owner may have simply not noticed, or cared, that they were wrong.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘On one Parkwood rear disc help please !!’ is closed to new replies.