Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • On-One Lurcher or Santa Cruz Highball alloy?
  • jupiter
    Free Member

Which one to go for? I’m 5’9″ and a bit, I’ve tried a few 29ers and like them. There was a very cheap trek Superfly in Alpine bikes Glasgow which I was tempted by, but in the end missed out on. So Lurcher small or Highball medium? Same toptube length, 23″, the Lurcher is steeper in the angles 71-73 v 70-71 . Reviews of the Highball carbon and alloy are very positive and it must be said that the Highball does look better than the Lurcher (maybe the Lurcher looks better in all black?) Highball carbon on long term test on this site and Dave seems to love it, so is the alloy one just a heavier version of that? It is unlikely I will be able to test ride either bike so it is a bit of a risk. I suppose what I am after is a trail bike not a race bike, a short travel Chameleon in 29er version. Seems like I’m selling the Santa Cruz to myself.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Why just those 2?

Similar money:

Niner EMD
    Cotic Solaris
    Scott Scale
    Canfield Yelli or Nimble 9
    Salsa El Mariachi

FWIW I think the alu highball will be a different beast to the carbon version.

shortcut

The Highball does look very nice, as a complete bike it comes in quite expensive but there are seemingly no corners. Ut on spec. The ability to run single and geared does set it apart from most of the rest of the bikes out there. And it does fit in that nice Chameleon 29 er realm!

jupiter
    Free Member

No to the Niner and the Cotic and no steel bikes. I had thought about the Scott Scale alloy, just found out they can be bought frame only as well. If the Canfield Yelli Screamy wasn’t so expensive it would be great.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

If you click the scale above there is a link too

SBrock
    Free Member

Stif have get a Highball test bike, hoping to take one out next week, yes I’m a SC whore so think I I’ll end getting one!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m prob going for a highball mainly for the choice of dropouts. Unless I can find an old style Chumba hx2 to prise from someones hands…

shortcut

Highball frame is still a few months away. I believe the first batches are complete bike only!

SBrock
    Free Member

I’ve priced up a frame only highball as a sell build with Reba 120s cn get it built for less than 2k with Crests, pro2, SLX

druidh
    Free Member

IvanDobski – Member
    I’m prob going for a highball mainly for the choice of dropouts.

The Lurcher has a choice of dropouts too.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Good point well presented.

In that case I’m going for a Highball, mainly to reward the company which has a clear and consistent pricing policy! 😀

Dave
    Free Member

Highball carbon on long term test on this site and Dave seems to love it

Yes. Very capable bike, fast up and confident down everything it’s been pointed down. I’m very tempted by an alloy one to replace my singlespeed.

brant
    Free Member

Would you like to try a Lurcher singlespeed Dave?

Dave
    Free Member

I’d be a useful comparison 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘On-One Lurcher or Santa Cruz Highball alloy?’ is closed to new replies.