• This topic has 25 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by pmw.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • On One Inbred Frames – Thoughts
  • letmetalktomark

On One seem to get a fair amount comment both good and bad.

I appreciate that you gets what you pay for and all that jazz.

I am tentatively interested in an original Inbred frame – 26’’ flavour.

I briefly had a 29er frame but to be honest didn’t have it long enough to really comment on the ride.

So what do people think?

Good and bad comments.

I am genuinely interested and am not trolling!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My old (mk2 I think so really old!) Inbred SS was one of the best bikes I’ve owned. Had it with a Cotic Soul at the time and the Inbred was used as much, if not more than the Soul. For the money… amazing.

wwaswas

great geometry (I had one of the last of the 80-100mm corrected ones with the smaller top tube), bit of steel ‘zing’ but not as much as more expensive frames, good tyre clearance, paint finish reasonably tough (on mine, anyway), cheap.

PaulD
    Free Member

I bought a second-hand 13″ slot-drop-out Inbred that had lived outside.
    It was severely rusted through apparently good paint (obviously very porous). Frame rusted so hard you could probably have run lights off the current (like a 1970s Fiat). It was heavy and rode like a gate. I sold it on ebay and have not looked back.

PaulD

wwaswas

It was severely rusted through apparently good paint (obviously very porous)

or it rusted from the inside out?

Paint isn’t generally, ‘porous’.

tinsy
    Free Member

Does what it says on the tin… got a scandal, had a tinbred.

jonba
    Free Member

Had the burlier 456 for 6 years. Paint was ok but I had it powder coated 2 years back. Geometry is great but I imagine other frames are similar these days.

Versatile frames, cheap, functional, not the most beautiful nor the lightest but they are a good solid frame.

PaulD
    Free Member

wwas…how do you think paint dries? Solvent evaporation leaving a micro-porous pigment filled polymer coating. It rusted through the paint, not from the inside…too thick steel for that, yet.

PaulD

jonba
    Free Member

Paint is permeable though…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I bought a second-hand 13″ slot-drop-out Inbred that had lived outside.

It was heavy and rode like a gate

A 13″ frame rode like a gate?

cp

I like them

Front -> back

Scandal
    mk2 (the first dn6 one)
    slot dropout

tinsy
    Free Member

On Four!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Loved mine. Have a 456 now. Would get another.

alexpalacefan

Got mine leaning on the kitchen table as I type this (wife’s away this week 😉 ). Love it, thinking about getting another as a spare!

APF

plumber
    Free Member

Two of the 853 limited frames. Rarely ride ny thing else

I hope they last a long long time

mrjmt
    Free Member

not as good as a sanderson breath

Shackleton

I bought my 456 new for £140 a few years ago and, for the money, it is brilliant. Great geometry, masses of mud room, no funny standards but it is heavy. FWIW I prefer the ride of the steel 456 to the carbon one over anything bigger than gravel, it may not have whatever magic is claimed to be in 853 frames but it certainly isn’t dead (strangely the steel 29er inbred I had a go on did feel dead).

Although the geometry differences aren’t huge I’ve found that the 456 is better for forks >120mm and the inbred <120mm. Pretty much what they say on the website but I canfirm it to be “true”.

mike_p
    Free Member

I appreciate that you gets what you pay for and all that jazz.

You said it, and cheap does not necessarily equal good value…

Had a SS Inbred, I liked the geometry and handling better than my current Love/Hate. But it was not a quality product.

flange
    Free Member

Out of all the posh stuff I’ve had, the only one that’s still sat in the garage now (not built up) is the Inbred. To be fair, only because I couldn’t sell it, but the sentiment’s there….

They’re ace though, I had mine set up for racing on and it was lovely if not very light. Ridden all over, Glentress, Inners, Wales, xc races. For the money you can’t fault them…

nickf
    Free Member

There are 5 On-Ones sitting in my a garage, so you could say I’m a fan.

There are certainly lighter frames, but I love mine and have no real desire to change. Given that I stopped riding a Nicolai, an Endorfin and a Turner in favour of the On-Ones (gradually – I didn’t suddenly wake up and have a ‘must ride steel hardtails’ moment), it wasn’t just ‘cos they’re cheap, it’s more that they ride really nicely.

The Ti456 is lovely….if I had to pick just one frame to do everything, it might well be that one.

As for quality – the paint chips reasonably easily, the frames rust if you let them. That said, the oldest of mine is now 6ish, and rusting hasn’t been a problem for me – just a few spots here and there. The welds seem OK, and the only thing that killed one of my original frames was a freak stick/wheel/grunting uphill moment which just wrecked the rear end. Could have had it fixed, but it was cheaper to buy a secondhand frame.

cp

standard (current) inbred defo best around 100mm. 120mm just gets a bit wandery.

456 with 120mm forks is great.

You said it, and cheap does not necessarily equal good value…

In this case, IMO, it equals great value. In what ways is it ‘not a quality product’? OK, so the paint isn’t the most robust (though it’s better than many frames I’ve had, but I can’t really think of anything which screams ‘poor quality’.

Cheezpleez

I have:
    – slot dropout Inbred run rigid/ss
    – steel 456
    – carbon 456

All are great. Not the prettiest, not the lightest, not the best finished but they ride brilliantly and cost not a lot.

MrSparkle

Got 3. Love ’em.

z1ppy

Got an ibred Mk3, it’s ok.
    It was cheap, so it hardly mattered if it had been crap.

As for the whining about the paint work… really? I thought it was common knowledge they start rusting as soon as the container ship sets sail.

specialknees
    Free Member

Agree, quality isnt great but then again its as good as it needs to..it is a mountain bike after all.
    Good points: (in order)
    Cheap
    rides nice
    robust

Bad points:
    Cheap
    Poor chain line (chain ring clearance)
    Poor mud clearance (with tyres above 2.1)
    Heavy.

I wouldnt sell mine, mainly because its worth nothing. Its worth more to me as a bike than what I would get if I sold it.
    Something I cant honestly say about any other bike I have ever owned.

pmw
    Free Member

I have a 12 month old ridged Scandal 29er and would happily agree with some of the above sentiment; it’s not the prettiest or the lightest and does not sport many of the technological innovations available from many of On-One’s competitors.

That said, it does seem to have this uncanny knack of putting a smile on my face every time I through a leg over…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘On One Inbred Frames – Thoughts’ is closed to new replies.