Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • On One has lost its charm…
  • cromolyolly
    Free Member

they have been around for a fair old time and perhaps they haven’t ‘lost their charm’ but over time we’ve changed.

Maybe. They have changed too. They used to do things others didn’t, at prices that were reasonable. Now they are doing largely what everyone else is, and getting beaten on price/service. Maybe they have lost their way a bit.

Northwind

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Given anyone who knows them knows it’s a £200 frame not a £700, why would you even price it there?

The law- you have to actually sell the item at the high price, before you’re allowed to say “£500 off”.

I mean, they don’t always bother, there’s products that land on their website discounted from day 1, but you can’t do that every time and not get in bother.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

The law- you have to actually sell the item at the high price, before you’re allowed to say “£500 off”.

True but that only matters if you care about some theoretical discount. If you sell the frame at £200, does it matter if it’s £0 discounted? Sure, some people will only buy if it’s on sale. Plenty more will buy it because it’s a ‘good’ price, even if it’s not on ‘sale’

tomhoward

You have to offer it for sale at the higher price (for a set period, 90 days I think?) but I don’t think you have to actually sell anything.

CountZero

So what you meant to say was “literally every one of those frames that went out that people on the internet complained about”

I’ve got two, I never complained about either of them. The paint on the Inbred 853 is still on the frame, or it was last time I looked, but I haven’t ridden it in years.
    The 567 is developing an interesting patina, but it barely had any paint on it anyway, just a thin coat of matt clear lacquer over bare metal.
    That one looks like it’s built from scaffold poles, but the top and down tubes are the same size, to take a 7” single-crown fork, or dual-crown fork, and it’s got the gussets for it as well. Proper hooligan hardtail, it rides beautifully with a pair of 6” travel Nixons on the front.
    That’s one of only two ever made, no idea what happened to the other one.

oomidamon

Thread resurrection for a bit of a moan. I ordered a Planet X Tempest Ti in August and was given a build date of late September. They emailed me beginning of Sept to say there was a delay and I would get the bike late October, and offered me some freebies as compensation, which seems fair enough. So I was delighted to see them advertising these on FB at the weekend with availability in 7 – 10 days. I could cancel my order and start again but that seems like a faff.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

So I was delighted to see them advertising these on FB at the weekend with availability in 7 – 10 days. I could cancel my order and start again but that seems like a faff.

Spec probably different, a widget is probably delaying yours

cp

I could cancel my order and start again but that seems like a faff.

Email their customer services – I’ve (genuinely ) found them very pleasant and helpful.

ernielynch

I got my new On-One Rocky Road a couple of weeks ago after two delays. I can’t remember exactly but I think I ended getting it about 3or4 weeks late.

The first delay was because of frame arriving a week late and the second delay was because of the forks, although I could have had it sooner if I had accepted their offer of different forks.

Considering the global situation I was perfectly happy with the outcome. I also found them extremely helpful when contacting them via Live Chat.

On top of that I’m really pleased with the bike! So far.

mrdestructo

Cheap bikes for students, they got many friends riding having fun. The old DJ frames were great, although the hardcore frame mis-positioned-bottle-boss-frame-cracking incidents cut a few riders short (everything warrantied).

Personalities aside, the frames they put out got people closer to the sport.

Tim
    Free Member

They used to feel like a bike company that designed bikes.

Now they feel a bit like buying from Ali express.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@oomidamon

As above, give the live chat on the website a go. It might be something silly that’s holding it up like bar tape colour, tyre choice, saddle, seatpost etc that they may be able to swap.

They used to feel like a bike company that designed bikes.

Now they feel a bit like buying from Ali express.

Yea, it used to be that their branded kit was half decent quirky catalogue stuff like the big nose saddle or twelfty seatpost.

The el guapo seatpost though must be the heaviest (thus cheapest?) seatpost I’ve ever had! And the saddle the bike came with was very good value (RRP something silly) but didn’t fit me.

footflaps

They emailed me beginning of Sept to say there was a delay and I would get the bike late October,

Remarkedly good really. My Orbea was delayed by several months last year!

didnthurt

Can’t really remember any poor service from On-one.

Some of their kit has been pretty incredible when I think about it, things like:
    – Original Scandal frameset (loved mine, it was light, well made and the matte paint finish was classy).
    – Twelfty seatpost (I must have have 4-5 of these over the years and have never had any issues with them, where’s I’ve snapped the head or bolts on plenty of other makes of seatposts).
    – 26″ rigid singlespeed Inbred in pearlescent white c/w swappable dropouts (it may have been made of gas pipe but this is probably the ‘one’ bike I regret selling).
    – Planet x Team Aluminum road bike (was a great bike especially as this was my first road bike).
    – Stainless steel ss chainrings (these were something like half the price of a Surly one but was just as well made)
    – Singlespeed sprockets (these things were/are seriously tough and last a long time)
    – Various cheap USB lights (had a fair few over the years which have all been great)
    – Grips (another fantastic product)
    – Handlebars (again, I’ve had several pairs over the years and all have been great value and very well made. Not scared of doing some wacky designs either).
    – My brand new Hello Dave is great value, has been built well and looks the bomb (imo), was delivered when they said it would be to the day.

There’s bound to be more that I can’t remember but I can only think of positives when dealing with On-one. I do think this is mostly to do with the periods that I’ve bought bikes from them, this was either circa 2005-2010 and circa 2016-2021. The gap in the middle was when the kids came along and I couldn’t afford new bikes or much kit. Maybe it was in the years 2010-2016 that On-one’s quality dropped off?

bobodaclown

I have had a few frames from them over the last 15 years or so, always decent value and they have never been shy about sorting out an issue. (Except a set of their road wheels that used cheese for the freehub)

At the moment their frame prices seem high Vs complete bikes but that is the market right now if they want to shift bikes due to short supply. They do still have some good deals that come up periodically and overall offer decent value.

I do see the view of some frames are just cookie cutter catalogue rebrands, does not make them a bad bike in some instances if backed up by more domestic service/warranty.

didnthurt

As for their website, I think it’s pretty good, better than numerous big online bike shops.

Their bike brands can be confusing at times with multiple bikes that look just like each other but with different brands and sometimes with different prices. Their up and down pricing can also be a bit annoying but at least they have stock (mostly) compared to other makes where you struggle to even buy a bike due to stock shortages or under supplying stock.

Anyone ever do a thread on Alpkits iffy quality and stock shortages? Suppose you can’t always have cheap, quality and next day availability.

nickc

Cheap bikes for students

You are joking, right? You know that when most most folks think of the cost of a bike, they’re thinking hundreds not thousands of pounds. For “most” people On One bikes are way beyond what they’d ever think about paying for a bicycle.

Most students round here are £50 eBay specials, or the “two sizes too small” bikes they had as Xmas presents when they were 11.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Cheap bikes for students

You are joking, right?

Maybe they meant STW undergraduates who will later buy boutique?

oomidamon

Spec probably different, a widget is probably delaying yours

No, identical spec. Customer service reps I’ve dealt with seemed good so far, which was one reason I was annoyed – if they were that good why hadn’t they let me know the bike could be available sooner. Sounds like the ‘available in 7 – 10 days’ bit was an error, they have changed it now.

chestrockwell

I reserve judgement of the bike until it arrives but I ordered one of the Whippets that were discounted and showing in stock on Saturday with free postage, got an email to say it was being built Sunday, then message from DPD saying it would be delivered Monday. I had to put it off until tomorrow but for all the horror stories I’ve been very impressed so far.

racefaceec90

i got my first bike from planet x/on one in feb (ti spitfire road bike).

i have to say i love it and it was at a good price also (that i could afford,always wanted a ti road bike).

i would definitely buy another bike from them if i had the money.

lamp
    Free Member

I have their Free Ranger which i have converted to a full road bike – i love it! Well priced, well made and to be fair my experience with Planet X customer service was superb.

finbar
    Free Member

You are joking, right? You know that when most most folks think of the cost of a bike, they’re thinking hundreds not thousands of pounds. For “most” people On One bikes are way beyond what they’d ever think about paying for a bicycle.

Most students round here are £50 eBay specials, or the “two sizes too small” bikes they had as Xmas presents when they were 11.

Students who actually ride bikes as a hobby was how I read it, i.e. us lot however many years ago. Although most of the MTBers in my uni club had Ragleys and we all rode Ribble winter road bikes.

Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘On One has lost its charm…’ is closed to new replies.