Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • On-one fatty woes
  • singlecrack
    Free Member

All you on-one fatty owners
    Are you having any issues with the rear wheel coming loose …..?
    I’ve had my rear come loose and nearly come out of the drop-outs on more than a few occasions now …I’ve tightened the qr skewer up as much as I dare ….but it came loose again last night on a rather steep rocky descent …(.giving me some lower body movements)

Has anyone else had the same problem or have an idea of the likely cause ??

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Yep, same problem, and front!

Emailed on-one a couple of months ago and they said they did not know anything about it and would get back to me with a solution, still nothing back from them.

I just check them before every big descent, turn them 90-180 degrees after closing the QR lever and that seams to help.

It is very annoying as I dont know any other QR skewers that are long enough for the 170mm hub, unless hope make them for the fatso?

crocodilian
    Free Member

Hope do and so do Salsa.

T1000
    Free Member

there are several threads over on UKfatbike forum which deal with this, loads of useful tips etc over there….

Most folks that have had this problem seem to have overcome it by degreasing the threads on the axle and using some loctite threadlock (leave it for the full curing time 1st fro best results)

for 170mm skewers Hope make them to fit the Fatsno hub and can be oreders from any Hope stockist, alternatively Salsa’s skewers are available as spares from nice people like ‘Charlie the bikemonger’

[bit slow posting that…]

zilog6128

sounds like people are being pretty reasonable about what seems to be a serious and potentially dangerous design flaw!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Not sure it’s a design flaw ….more a product malfunction

zilog6128

oh, that’s ok then! 🙂

notmyrealname
    Free Member

After reading about his problem, I fitted a set of Hope skewers to my Fatty before I started using it.

wwaswas

first time I’ve seen Hope recommended as a solution to self undoing skewers 😉

singlecrack
    Free Member

Have the hope skewers ever loosened ?

batman11
    Free Member

Has anyone ever managed to get excepted to the masons-esk… based fatbikeuk foram as I’ve been waiting since march for mine.
    And I’ve had no issues todate with my fatty Q/R but am now off to degrease them just in case 😀

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Has anyone ever managed to get excepted to the masons-esk… based fatbikeuk foram as I’ve been waiting since march for mine.

Email ScotRoutes on here, he’s able to sort signing up problems on the Fatbike forum.

scotroutes

Aye – contact me if you’ve had issues and I can sort it for you

batman11
    Free Member

Hi Scott pm sent to your email in profile.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bats.

scotroutes

Cool. Out and about at the moment. I’ll get on to it when I get home.

scotroutes

YGM

singlecrack
    Free Member

So will de-greasing the threads on th skewers sort this out ??

twoniner
    Free Member

Been riding mine since mid May and I’ve not had the problem. Mines had some thrashings too.

I like the sound of the hope QR’s though 8)

Scotroutes, YGM regarding my forum registration back in may. 🙂

scotroutes

twoniner, YGM

twoniner
    Free Member

You’re a star, many thanks. 😀

Oh, just tried and it says that my email needs to varified.

Sorted, Im a spakker 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

I believe that there are two separate issues jumbled together above.

1. QR skewers coming loose (I have not experienced this).

2. Hub endcaps coming loose (unscrewed). On both front and rear hubs, the axle is threaded. A cap threads onto the axle and covers the face of the cartridge bearing. Flats are provided for a 15 mm pedal wrench or cone wrench, and a 5 mm hex fits inside the end of the axle. Blue loctite is the fix. One of mine was loose (finger tight) and hasn’t come loose once loctited.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Thanks…..I did my end caps when I spotted your post on Fatbike forum…..I just need to sort the skewers now …will try a de-grease before I spend out on hope fat-sno

singlecrack
    Free Member

Well ..de-greased..and put a spot of thread lock on ….but they both came undone last night…..not happy …nearly came a cropper 🙁

bencooper
    Free Member

I did a lot of research on QR loosening some years back – the cause in the majority of cases was cams that don’t go past centre – i.e. they don’t have a bit where it feels like they go “clunk” and lock. Second most common cause was bad or no serrations on the faces of the QR nuts, causing them to loosen up.

A fix that can stop the nut unscrewing, if that’s the problem, is to fit a locknut to it if there’s enough thread, or to fit a grub screw to the nut – needs some metalworking skill of course.

stumpy01

Do you have to use QR’s? Could you get some of those ‘theft proof’ QR’s that are tightened with either a ‘unique’ spanner or just an allen key?

Like these:

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?partno=38720&gclid=COvh9OeFu7gCFXTItAod9EwAlw

andyv
    Free Member

Do your QRs have plastic cam bearing surfaces? there was a bikeradar article about the decline in QR quality
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/angryasian-death-to-crappy-quick-release-skewers-36417/

Perhaps a better QR with brass(?) or internal cam bearing surfaces would help.

Andy
    ( and stop riding through rivers you muppet ;-D )

singlecrack
    Free Member

Andy ……….perhaps the rivers are washing the Qr’s off ??

JoeG
    Free Member

The QRs that came on my Fatty have a plastic surface for the cam to slide on. They’re not the best QRs ever made, but mine seem fine. When closing them the last little bit gets easier, which lets me know that they’re fully closed. I haven’t had any issues w/mine.

OP – what about the paint on your dropouts? Is it uneven or partially flaking off?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Everything is fine on the dropouts Joe …….the qr does go past the cam and lock …..but it seems to be happening mor frequently now ………have ordered some hope fatsno’s now

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ll be keeping more of an eye on mine, then. 😕 I usually don’t give them any thought at all…

singlecrack
    Free Member

Untitled by jerrypc69, on Flickr

Hopefully that should sort it

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘On-one fatty woes’ is closed to new replies.