Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • On one fatty, what's good what's not?
  • plecostomus
    Free Member

Been reading the posts on mtbr, read some bits on here, they are doing a good rolling chasis deal at the moment, what’s good and what’s not. Your info is appreciated.

jwr

Good, cheap(ish) way to get into fat biking. Frame geometry feels well sorted to me and is adaptable to all sorts of conditions. Tyres feel great and so far have only been stumped by sheet ice. The only negative is the Avid brakes which are utter poop (upgraded mine to Hope Minis). I also changed the drivetrain to 2×10 as I ride in proper mountains quite often and am a wimp.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Cheers did the wheels come with qr’s? As it doesn’t say on te description on the site but I assume you bought a full bike and they did for that.

scotroutes

Looks to be a decent frame & fork. Question marks over brakes and 1×10 drivetrain on the full build make the current deal a lot more attractive.

brant
    Free Member

Cheers did the wheels come with qr’s?

They do.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Cheers brant. I’ve got everything spare myself so it would only be a rolling chasis needed so not too concerned about the full build specs and parts.

Alini
    Free Member

Agree with jwr, it’s a nicely sorted ride, geometry is good, have been riding it almost exclusively since I got it, Karate Monkey scowls at me now as it doesn’t get a look in.

Biggest surprise is its ability as an all rounder, have been thinking about going 2×10 and perhaps going for the non fat fatty wheelset. I’m not sure this is true of some of the other fat bikes, think the Mukluk is closest direct comparison ?

Avid brakes will be replaced at some point, but no real complaints at that price point.

Ohh…forget to mention its the most fun bike I’ve had for years!!! (Except on long, draggy road climbs as you’d expect!).

scotroutes

plecostomus – do you have a suitable crank?

plecostomus
    Free Member

Scotrouts yes I have a set of truvativ holzfella off my old dh bike and will just need to order a bb.

JoeG
    Free Member

I love my Fatty! Lots of fun to ride! It *made* me go to wide bars and short stem on my full suspension bike as well. :mrgreen:

I went 2×10 immediately on the Fatty, but in hindsight could have probably got away with the original 1×10. And yes, the Fatty just recently *made* me upgrade the full suspension bike to 2×10 from 3×8… 😳

My brakes needed bled once; they have been fine since. Floater tires are fantastic, especially since they cost 1/2 as much as the 120 tpi Surly tires.

Probably my least favorite part of the bike are the rims. The 70 mm width is right on, IMO. No issue with them being pinned, (not welded) either. My problem is that the tiny bead shelf with a very abrupt transition to the center well makes it difficult to get tires to seat properly. Either tubed or tubeless. Soap or other lube helps, but I generally find that I have to inflate the tires over and above the sidewall rating to get the tire’s bead to seat all the way around. If you don’t, the tire looks like it has a wobble or hop to it. It takes a bit of work IME to get the tires on properly. But other fat rims are big $$$, so I’ll probably stick with them for a while….

Oh, and the headset spacers are chintzy! 😀

doh
    Free Member

Love mine but it would have helped to have someway to easily stick a front mech on. Other niggles are component choices but that’s another thing. £500 for rolling chassis seems very good.

beerbiker
    Free Member

The Fatty is the most fun I’ve ever had from buying a bike. Everything else is for sale 😉
    The rolling chassis is a grt deal. I’ve the same probs as most with complete bikes (we have 2!) Tyres not seating, rusting bolts & the Avid brakes are just pooh & have gone, oh & I broke my seat mount twice but that could just be my riding style. I would never complain about any of those probs coz the price was right & the bike is a dream to ride even at trail centres, raced a 24hr in Belgium on ours & more to come.

twoniner
    Free Member

Love my fatty, a cracking bike to ride and to be honest I’ve picked it up for rides over my full sus.

It’s not slow, accelerates quite well but can be a little bit of a drag on the hills but that’s to be expected with in tyres.

I find the 1×10 set up ok, I’m in Snowdonia so some hills can be heavy going but do’able.

I’m really surprised what this bike can do, it’s really steady and the slack fork angle is great for steep technical descents. For me the riding postion out of the box was perfect, very laid back and comfy, you could ride it all day.

I’ve not got any other fat bike experience so couldnt comment on the wheels and so on however I think the only gripe I would have id the weight, it’s pretty heavy, you wouldnt want to shoulder it for long.

I didnt buy mine as a serious bike, just a bit of fun but to be honest it does a lot and handles everything pretty well and at the mo its my go to ride.

I too got rid of the Avid brakes, I upgraded to the elixir 5’s just for the resale value. I replaced them with some hope minis I had.

The rolling chassis is a good buy at that price.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘On one fatty, what's good what's not?’ is closed to new replies.