Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • On One – confusion
  • Jase_MK
    Free Member

Hi folks. Been a bit out of touch with the scene for a while, so bear with me. I’ve been riding a Zaskar for near on 15 years now and have just placed an order for a Spesh FSR XC which’ll be my main bike for longish MTB rides and adventure racing.

I quite look the look of the On One steel frames though and was thinking of rebuilding my Zaskar kit onto one of those as a fun throw around bike for short singletrack blasts up the woods and occasional commuting.

Anyway, my question is this – what’s the difference between the 456 and the inbred?. I’ve read the descriptions on their website but can’t get my head round it. It says the 456 has been built for 4/5/6″ forks, but the the inbred description says suitable for 4/5″ forks too…? Plus, the 456 has “inbred” written on the top tube. Confused.

FWIW, the forks on my Zaskar are ’06 MX Comps – 100mm I think.

Ta

reggiegasket
    Free Member

456 is for 100-150mm (ish) forks. I run mine with Pikes.

Inbred is for around 100mm. I used to run mine with MX Pros.

Obviously, there is some overlap between them but as a general rule of thumb those numbers are about right.

Other than that the Inbred is a tad lighter, the 456 a tad burlier.

meehaja
    Free Member

see, your standard inbred will take 4/5 inch forks, comes as geared or SS and is a nice bit of kit for the money. The 456, as the name suggests, takes a 4,5 or 6 inch fork, is avaliable as a geared bike only and is like a beefed up version of the inbred. I believe it can take 8inch rotors at the back, and if I remember correcrtly, all the tubes are the same diameter (generally bigger than the inbred). The inbred is more of a XC/ singletrack bike, where as the 456 is more of a “messing about in the woods bike”.

I replaced my Orange Patriot with a 456 as I wanted a hardtail that could handle a bit of DH and being thrown around, but could also be used for “normal” riding. If you’re keeping the MX comps on there, then go for the inbred and it’ll ride very nicely. If you’re thinking of putting some big forks on then go for the 456 and it to will be lovely, but in a very different way.

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, Brant will probably be along in a minute or so to answer this one, but i never miss an opurtunity to embaress myself with an incorrect answer…

The 456 IS an in-bred with in-bred angles, but with a slightly sturdier top-tube, and it’s designed around slightly longer forks…

i’m VERY close to buying an inbred frame, i quite like a slack head angle, and figure that for the same fork, the standard in-bred will run a touch slacker than the 456.

but for this reason, i’m waiting till i see more on the steel shedfire/tweet Ragley blue/pig wossname / thingy. That’s got a proper slack head angle.

tinsy
    Free Member

Why not the Scandal so your hardtail isnt as heavy as your full suss?

clubber
    Free Member

I asked the same question of Brant and his non-PC reply was:

– If you’re a bit gay then the Inbred
    – If you’re a bit lardy then the 456

He didn’t answer which you’d choose if you were a bit gay and a bit lardy 🙂

FWIW, I’ve had both and prefered the Inbred just because I didn’t really need the extra strenth/ability for 6″ fork. (Inbreds now work best with a 5″ fork IMO)

Saccades
    Free Member

The inbred has slowly evolved to take larger and larger forks as the market went that way, it’s also got an large array of differing versions of back ends (slot drop out, vertical etc etc). You can fit 8″ rotors in the back of a MkIII (or 4 I forget which) with no bother and has monster clearence at the back. Pretty sure from when I told Brant about this he had a look at the plans and reckoned all inbred can.

The Inbred456 is a beefier version (top tube diameter is the same as the down tube) designed to be able to take 4, 5 or 6″ forks. It too can take can take 8″ rotors at the back and has monster tyre clearence. You are pretty much restricted to a normal geared version I think though…

Unless you find the brother to this:

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. Very helpful cheers. You guys should be hired to write the copy for their website 😉

Sounds like the inbred is more my kinda thing. I’m more an XC/singletrack kind of person and ride pretty lightly despite my 15st weight. Not really into drop offs and big hits etc. Shame it only comes in white…

Saccades
    Free Member

Get a 2nd hand one for cheap and get it powdercoated for about £50 or so.

I’d sell my inbred to you except I’m in ireland and I can’t be arsed with the hassle of boxing/shipping etc. If your in ireland though…..

Jase_MK
    Free Member

I know I sound like a massive gayer, but if I got a SH one resprayed or powder coated, can I get hold of replacement decals/stickers?

Saccades
    Free Member

Yeah, Gil at the cycleshed does very good ones (do a search thing on here and his mail will show up. On-one don’t do them for some reason which surprised me as Brant never missed any other trick to make more cash/promote the brand.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘On One – confusion’ is closed to new replies.