Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • On one C456 build questions
  • thv3
    Free Member

BLANTANT PLUG #3: Also got a 16″ Yellow C456 frame as per the OP’s which I’ve been meaning to get rid off for about 2 years now 😳
    E-mail in profile if anyone’s interested.

Northwind

walowiz – Member

How old is too old for a set of Lyriks ? Is 2010 etc too old – or does condition and servicing matter more ?

Definitely buy on condition. Can’t remember when the last u-turn was made but it’s been a few years.

I suppose the Revelation Team uturn might do you, that’s what I had in mine… But the airspring in those wasn’t the most dependable back in 2010 never mind now. Great forks otherwise, good balance of weight and stiffness and pretty decent damper

walowiz

Ok, really stooped question, don’t suppose there is any chance that the c456 can take a 1.5 straight steerer ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pickle
    Free Member

I don’t think the first gen ones can, I’m sure my old one was standard 1 1/8th top

walowiz

Well now I’ve got the frame, forks & wheels. Finally settled on a set of Lyriks from STW.

Does anyone know what size bottom bracket I need for the c456 ?
    And what head set do I need ?
    And seatpost size ? Is it 31.6 ?

Given its a carbon frame, do I need to do anything different with the seatpost ? To stop it sticking etc.

Thanks

Seamus
    Free Member

Seatpost is 31.6, bottom bracket shell is 73mm english. Headset depends on the forks

Edit – Use carbon paste for the seatpost such as finish line fibre grip

walowiz

Thanks, what type of front derailleur do I need to get for a c456 frame (going 2×10) as this bike will get used on the road as well on the trails.

And thanks all for the comments and help ! Much appreciated.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Like others, 140mm forks. Also run a 2 degree slackset, which is great.

Yellow looks great and I’d love one, but they chip too easily and will probably look a mess in no time unless you stay precious with it, hence plain black for me with the 456. My compromise was a yellow whippet as my xc mince/canal commuter/exercise bike which doesn’t get thrown around and never ends up under a pile of bikes in the backs of peoples cars.

tops5
    Free Member

Edit – Use carbon paste for the seatpost such as finish line fibre grip

Definitely this! I have a KS dropper seized in mine which has just failed rendering the bike useless 🙁

deadkenny
    Free Member

Seized seatpost in a C456 is a bloody nightmare. I was almost looking at writing off the post having to cut it (thankfully not a dropper at the time). Took ages, with a lot of various tools and chemicals and swearing. Eventually shifted with some ski/snowboard base cleaner. Basically a citric based liquid. Then when it started turning the noise was immense. Sure my neighbours though I was killing someone.

Post once removed was heavily pitted with corrosion. That’s carbon + alloy for you.

Anyway, carbon paste always. Plus I’ve seen some seatpost manufacturers recommend it for alloy posts regardless of the frame material.

tops5
    Free Member

@deadkenny – any particular brand? I’m getting desperate!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Stuff I’ve got is DS7000 Base Cleaner. Picked it up in a shop somewhere but not sure where. Might have even been in the US.

They have a site – http://demonsnow.com/store/DS%207000%20Base%20Cleaner

It’s basically citric acid and stuff.

walowiz

Hi all

Looking to get a Hope headset for the c456 frame and am completely stumped as to which pick & mix hope headset will fit the frame ? I have a set of tapered Rockshox LYRICS for the frame.

There are a lot of options for the headset on CRC. Even filtering on 1 1/8 didn’t help.

Apologies if this is a real newby question and should be blindingly obvious.

Thanks

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Just get the Work’s one from On-one, you’ll probably want one at some point anyway 😉

Mine, a few grams under 24Lbs with pedals & a bit of mud, but with U-turn Reba’s, no dropper post & carbon crank’s with ceramic BB, I think it will be my go to bike this year 🙂

[/url]IMG_0855 by Martin Robbo, on Flickr[/img]

walowiz

Work’s one from On-one, you’ll probably want one at some point anyway

Is this a headset ? Better than a Hope one?

walowiz

Aha it’s a slackset headset by works on one, but I cannot see a version for tapered forks ?

They even state In the description “Note:- This model will only work with straight, NOT tapered steerer forks. A taper steerer model is in development.”

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Mine above is running a Work’s one for tapered steerer, try their website or call OO to confirm.

Cheers.

andyl
    Free Member

For hope and a tapered steerer I am pretty sure you want the number 2 top cup and F bottom. Check the dimensions here: http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPE-HEADSET-FITTING-CHART.pdf

Wouldn’t mind getting a works slackset for mine but running a tapered carbon steerer which has a long taper section on a 16″ frame with the short head tube probably makes it a difficult one sort.

Ok, really stooped question, don’t suppose there is any chance that the c456 can take a 1.5 straight steerer ?

It might well do if you use an external 44mm top cup. Just need to check there is enough depth to fit the cup in.

Actually yes, the top cup I have from on one to extend the head tube for tapered forks is basically a 44mm top cup but with a top cover and split ring to reduce it down to a 1 1/8th steerer like you get with a reducer crown race. 1.5″ steerer will fit through the bearing and I can use the top cap I took off my cannondale to fit a 1.5″ straight fork.

walowiz

It might well do if you use an external 44mm top cup. Just need to check there is enough depth to fit the cup in.

Actually yes, the top cup I have from on one to extend the head tube for tapered forks is basically a 44mm top cup but with a top cover and split ring to reduce it down to a 1 1/8th steerer like you get with a reducer crown race. 1.5″ steerer will fit through the bearing and I can use the top cap I took off my cannondale to fi

Oh well, too late now, but had the option of RS Lyrics 1.5 straight steerer, but managed to switch to a tapered set as I thought the 1.5 straight set wouldn’t fit. They were a lot less money too.

Anyhow, what does this on one works slack set do, that makes it worth doing ?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Slackens the head angle, check out the website

walowiz

Wow, just been to the http://www.workscomponents.co.uk and more headset choices than I can shake a stick at !

£80 for a headset !

Wouldn’t be able to figure out which option I needed, apart from tapered forks !

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

£80 is probably not much more than a Hope one I’d imagine, call them & tell them which frame & they will take your money 😀

walowiz

80 is probably not much more than a Hope one I’d imagine, call them & tell them which frame & they will take your money

Sigh, isn’t that the truth, but what does the works 1,1.5,2 degree headset do ? I’ve looked round their site and cannot fathom what the difference is ?

I understand that it slackens the head angle – does that quicken the steering ?

bomberpork
    Free Member

Will a 650 rear wheel fit in this frame or the EVO version?

Scapegoat

Apparently 650 will fit, not sure about how big a tyre you can go though.

Enjoying mine, 11kg (24 1/4 lb) dead on with Thor AM 140 (on the fly 100-140 adjust) fork, Hope spiderless crankset 1×10 with Zee mech and shifter, XT brakes, Pro2 evo on Arch EX and a Reverb. I’m tempted to try it with a standard post and a Reba to see if it would get any nearer to 10kg and still ride well. The current setup is probably more or less how it was originally envisaged. Dropping the fork to 100 for climbs makes a hell of a lot of sense. After buggering around with various combinations of headset I ended up using the fitted smoothie from On One, if nothing else because of the reported nightmare of trying to remove the bottom cup.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Scapegoat, what wheels/ tyres are you running? At only a 1/4lb more than me running pretty much the lightest stuff I could get bar the forks I’m quite surprised at your weight.

Scapegoat

Nobby Nic tubeless on Arch Ex. Are you including pedals?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Yes, but with lighter forks, no dropper just about the lightest crank/ BB combo available I would of thought the difference to be nearer a couple of lbs.

Full spec,
    Large frame
    Xt 1x 10’with zee rear mech
    Xt brakes
    Iodine 3 wheels fat Albert tubeless tyres
    Reba 100/130 u-turn forks
    fsa carbon cranks with ceramic bb
    Superstar pedals
    Thomson stem & post, WTB saddle.
    Carbon fat boy light bars esi grips.

andyl
    Free Member

650 rear will fit but you would want to run a slackset to get the BB height back down and a matching 650 front and fork (obviously).

I was looking at my regular C456 at the weekend thinking there is probably enough room to make some new rear dropouts to move the rear wheel up and slightly forward but it won’t be easy due to the design of the chain/seat stay interface. I didn’t know they now did a slackset option for the tapered steerers.

Scapegoat

Well, I’ve just weighed mine again. Without pedals it’s 11 kg. Add 500g for Nano Thrupins, or 400g for XT trail

Full build: 18″ C456, on one Smoothie mixer. On One Knuckleball carbon bars and SRAM foam lock-ons, Superstar Zephir 50mm stem.
    Hope spiderless cranks and BB, 32t chainring, Zee mech with Radr cage, XT 11-42 (One-Up), KMC chain. Zee shifter, XT brakes.
    Magura AM140 fork. Wheels are Hope Pro 2 Evo on Arch EX, 2.2 Nics, tubeless.
    Seatpost is a Reverb 125×420 and the saddle is a Charge Spoon.

Scapegoat

Having checked various specs, your Reba is only about 100g lighter than the Thor, which is billed at about 1770g. The wheelset is going to be very similar, and the tyres much the same weight. So, by the time I add the Nanos onto mine it weighs 11.5 kg, or 25 1/3lb. If that is 750g heavier than yours it makes sense. The extra weight of my Reverb and cranks, the odd 100 or so grammes from the tyres and fork compared with your setup would be the main difference.

walowiz

For hope and a tapered steerer I am pretty sure you want the number 2 top cup and F bottom. Check the dimensions here: http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPE-HEADSET-FITTING-CHART.pdf
    Wouldn’t mind getting a works slackset for mine but running a tapered carbon steerer which has a long taper section on a 16″ frame with the short head tube probably makes it a difficult one sort.

Thanks andyl, reckon I’ll get these today as they are reduced at CRC and TBH not really sure I get what the works components headset will do over the Hope version.

walowiz

Before I go nuts on CRC – could I just confirm here with the STW experts that I’m getting the right Hope bottom cup for a c456 frame for tapered steered forks.

This is the current bottom hope pick & mix headset on the frame :

Item Name: Hope Pick n Mix Headset Bottom Cup
    Product Code: XXS8350
    Item ID: 186006
    Item Description:
    Item Style: Type: D STEPDOWN TRAD 49.57 L/S

Do I need the F bottom cup to replace this or another integrated bottom cup – which I can’t see TBH ?

Just want to check before I go on a bike bits shopping spree !

Thanks

walowiz

Hi STW gurus

Looking to get my last batch of parts – what type of front mech do I need for the c456?

Is is a top clamp ?

Thanks

walowiz

Hi ade9933

Do you still have the frame ?

Could be interested. E-mail profile.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘On one C456 build questions’ is closed to new replies.