Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • On-One Bike Purchase: the great, the bad and the awful
  • chrisr1983
    Free Member

Hi All

As you can tell I don’t post here too often but have been a member for a while and enjoy lurking every so often. I’ve been riding road bikes for some time and decided I wanted to cross over to the muddy side for a while and buy a MTB.

I didn’t want to spend loads and decided that I could feasibly get away with using my companies bike to work scheme as I will still use for going to work as well as my main road bike rig.

After much deliberation I decided to go for an On-One Scandal 29er after hearing great things about them. I put my order in at the beginning of August, got the bike certificate about a week later and sent it electronically across to On-One. They were slightly slightly slower acknowledging things than I’d like but that’s not really On-One’s forte I guess – it’s producing and building great bikes.

With a quoted ~5 days build time I chased them up after not hearing anything from them for almost 2 weeks and the order status on their web site saying my bike was out of stock. I was told that it was just the front rotor that was missing and it was due in the day after. Two days later I ask them again – did the rotor come in stock? Then I get a call from a very helpful woman called Jenny. Jenny explained to me that my scandal had gone out of stock (despite one being allocated to my original order) and that it was going to take a long time until they were back in stock. As a gesture of good will they would like to offer me the closest equivalent that they do have in stock. To my surprise this wasn’t an Inbred but a Lurcher SRAM X9 build. Needless to say I was completely over the moon with that suggestion as I know they’re about £500 more expensive. The nearest build date was a week later when I happened to be on holiday so we both agreed to move the build date to coincide when I got back from holiday.

The build date arrives and I’m as excited as a young lad seeing his first pair of jubblies when I get an e-mail… your bike has being built (yay) but the helmet you ordered with it is in a different show room and will be a day late (boo). Not to worry I thought, I have other helmets. For whatever reason bike delivery day arrives and alas, no bike. For whatever reason Yodel (the worst delivery company since City-Link) decided not to bring it that day (not On-One’s fault) but it does arrive the day after; the same day I’m now expecting my helmet. The bike is the most wonderful thing ever. I’m so pleased with it & I’ve not a single complaint about it. I would solidly recommend anyone flirting with buying one to pull the trigger. Still no helmet though… I send an e-mail the day after asking: where’s my helmet? Until, the day after that I end up calling them. It seems the helmet was ‘sat waiting to go’ but instead they didn’t bother actually sending it.

So a 5 week turn around on what should have been a fairly simple bike order. I think the thing that annoys me is that when you place an order and everything is in stock, why isn’t that stock then firmly allocated to your order? On the flip side, if I had the option of getting the scandal instantly or having to wait 5 weeks but getting a lurcher X9 for the same price. I’d suffer through the latter.

Thoughts?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I have adhd…..can we have bullet points please.I like them.

edlong
    Free Member

That story sums up why so many people love on-one

That story sums up why so many people hate on-one.

Jamie
    Free Member

They were slightly slightly slower acknowledging things than I’d like but that’s not really On-One’s forte I guess

Nope. Slowly acknowledging things is definitely their forte.

I’m as excited as a young lad seeing his first pair of jubblies

Well….they are quite nice.

edlong
    Free Member

@Rorschach

On-one’s attempt to sell someone a bike is a bit of a shambles.

On-one make up for it by being generally ace to the customer in resolving said shambles.

Customer is now very happy with bike and on-one.

Small amount of vestigial shambles remains.

richpips
    Free Member

Mmmm Jubblies.

wwaswas

does this qualify as an omnishambles?

Only I’ve been looking for a thread to use that word in.

scaredypants

I suspect it was a babyshambles

(I’d hoped never to have to use that word 🙁 )

Jamie
    Free Member

I suspect it was a babyshambles

For Pete’s sake!

slimjim78
    Free Member

edlong – Member

@Rorschach

On-one’s attempt to sell someone a bike is a bit of a shambles.

On-one make up for it by being generally ace to the customer in resolving said shambles.

Customer is now very happy with bike and on-one.

Small amount of vestigial shambles remains.

This is genius 😆

Marin
    Free Member

Great bikes, crap service. Keep up the fine British tradition of whining to people who can offer no real help instead of complaining to those responsible. You may have done this but I can’t be bothered reading long posts on here. I love my Inbred I do.

For Pete’s sake!

Dust the moss off that joke.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

ooh, a squirrel!

Bazz

I’m rather dissapointed that Oo/PX are using Yodel as their courier, everything i’ve had off of them in the past has been delivered by DPD, who as couriers go are pretty good, Yodel on the other hand are well renowned for being utterly useless.

If i ran a company that had a reasonably good name there is no chance i’d jeopardise it by using that shower of shit!

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

My week started with them offering me a frame £250 more than the one that had snapped on me and when I told them due to the two weeks building up to this point I had already purchased a new frame and built it up they said the refund for the frame and headset originally purchased would be in my account by Wednesday… And it was.

Top people, shame in one respect I no longer ride an On-One but they have secured future business from me.

khani
    Free Member

I waited in all day Tuesday for a delivery from Yodel, it turned up at 8.30pm..
    At least it turned up but I WAITED IN ALL DAY!!!
    ****!!!!

roper
    Free Member

I have always found their service to be great. I once ordered 3 jerseys but recieved 2 but they sent the 3rd without any problems the same day.
    Their kit is good too so I continue to shop with them. I have no idea which firm they use to post to Spain but it does not appear any slower than normal, for Spain.

prettygreenparrot

Sounds a little shambolic but they’ve resolved most everything for you.

There’s no excuse for Yodel though.

Halfords make this on-one story sound exemplary. My bike to work scheme makes me use Halfords rather than a real bike shop. I was in on the first day I had the note, maybe July 2. Placed the order. I’m still waiting for a couple of items to be available. Apparently they were delivered to the store a couple of weeks back but could not be found. I’m still waiting for their call to say they’ve found them.

A real shame as the guys in the store are pleasant and helpful. I’m not sure where it all goes wrong.

johnnystorm

Halfords bike to work vouchers don’t have to be used in Halfords. I used mine in in a “proper” bike shop to buy my Fargo. 🙂

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I don’t use on-one that much, just odds and sods really. The other day I was taken by their cheap ESI grips and ordered 2 pairs. When they arrived there was no bar end plugs (expected the goldie ESI ones) so dropped on-one an email saying ordered 2 pairs, didn’t come with the bar ends etc. etc. anyway get an email back, very sorry send you out some.

A few days later I get the worst, rubbishy, cheapy non ESI bar end plugs turn up – one pair – not 2 but 1- for 2 pairs of grips that I ordered – FFS!

mattjg
    Free Member

I have adhd…..can we have bullet points please.I like them.

* op bought a bike from On-One.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Planet X have just delivered my two new bike helmets (two separate orders) via Royal Mail. Arrived really promptly and a stonkingly good price.
    I am an On One owner and considering upgrading my steel 456 to a Ti version…just need that push to press the button 😛

takisawa2

Have used them many times. Never had an issue. Will happily go on using them. Never really had an issue with any bike shop, but then again I’m from the old school of accepting that stuff happens sometimes & as long as it’s sorted out it’s all good.

You ended up £100’s of pounds up on the deal yet still felt the need to bleat on about it on here. 😕

slimjim78
    Free Member

Agreed, the ending to this story was happy.
    Op should be dancing a jig

Jamie
    Free Member

Thoughts?

If you held off posting about your experience for 5 weeks, and the outcome in the end was quite a good one, I would have just done a little jig and left it at that.

chrisr1983
    Free Member

Believe me, I’m doing a jig. Completely thrilled but how many times can you cock up an order?? I’m not really bleating but actually found it a slightly amusing story

My helmet just arrived.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘On-One Bike Purchase: the great, the bad and the awful’ is closed to new replies.