• This topic has 37 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • On one 456 Summer Season RAW sizing advice
  • fatboyslim
    Free Member

All,

I’m looking at building up a HT, and I have my eye on the on one 456 summer model.

I’m just under 6 foot and 14 stone. The riding will be mostly at Bristol woods and the south Wales trail centres. I ride quite aggresively DH (the joys of owning a V10 and numerous alps trips) and slowly but surely uphill.

The website recomends an 18 inch frame, but yesterday on another post some one said ‘that of course you need to go down a size!’

As i know no one with this frame, can anyone with On one bikes please advise on whether to follow the manufacteurs advice for sizing or taking another persons advice(which could be risky!)

Cheers

Hairychested
    Free Member

16″ I’d say. I’m 5’7″ and have a 16″ and… it’s great as an XC bike. To go bonkers I’d love a 14″. Want my frame? 😉

STATO
    Free Member

depends if you want a HT that you can also use for a bit of DH (go 18″) or a hardtail just for DH (go 16″). Ive got an 18″ and im 6ft4 but i find it short and i have to run the seatpost (400mm) at full extension. Thinking about swapping out for a 20″.

fatboyslim
    Free Member

If it helps

The bike is for XC type of riding, just i have a tendency to really pin it on the descents, it will not be going anywhere near a Dh course.

I want the bike to be quick and responsive, but not overly cramped in the cockpit, so that I can only ride for an hour max!

Cheers

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Top tube lengths are almost the same so with a long enough post 16″ would be fine but personally I would go with 18″

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

5’9″ and had a 16″. It was fine using a 70mm, 15 degree stem and XY post but to be comfy/fit on the pedally bits I ran the saddle right back on its rails.

If I were you I’d get / try an 18″.

That saddle height was for general plodding along with a 32″ inside leg.

finnegan
    Free Member

I’m 5’10”, and the 18″ Summer Season (last summer, but I think the geometry is the same this year) is fine for XC. My wife rides a 16″ InBred (different head angle, but the main triangle, hence fit, is pretty much the same as the SS) and that feels cramped to me.

snowslave

5 11 – I find the 18 frame spot on with a short stem. Love that bike, and use it for the purposes you describe. I think the 16 might be a touch on the short side for you on all day rides, but it’d be very chuckaboutable. Have you had a go on one?

fatboyslim
    Free Member

Snowslave – no not tried one, though I’ve ridden hardtails for years, before buying a a full susser xc.

That’s the problem with on ones, no bike shop to pop along to and try out size (well in bristol at least), and I don’t know anyone with one!

renton
    Free Member

STATO i have a 20″ inbred frame if you fancy swapping out for your 18″ at all.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

5’11” and run a 18 456 (not summer) with a 70mm stem. Spot on. The 16 is only a tad shorter though, so if you prefer longer stems then you could go this route. I think 18-and-short-stem is the way to go though.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 and ride an 18″ inbred. Saddle height shown here for pedally stuff:

jaycmx1
    Free Member

hairy chested,my emails in profile if youve got some pics of the frame,and price?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

6ft 1″, long legs, 20″ frame here.

Did have an 18″ normal Inbred but it was too small for me.

Hadge
    Free Member

If I were you I’d go for the 18″. I’ve got a 16″ and the cockpit although not cramped, is tight and I’m 5ft 8ins running a 70mm stem and in-line post. The post has to be out quite a way too for climbing in the saddle stuff. Cracking frame though for the money, you really can’t go wrong with it.

snowslave

Gratuitous picture opportunity – you could cut out this pic and the 16 inch one above and compare sizes…. 😉

chvck
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 and ride a 18″, i ride it as a do it all bike. I haven’t tried it for dirt jumping much and it’s a tad long for street (but still good fun) but I use it for XC and DH and have no complaints; though I haven’t taken it off any drops over about 5′ yet!

Run it with pikes at 140mm all the time other than for street where it’s at 90-100.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m in the 5’10” area 32″ inside leg and I found the 16″ frame Summer prefect for me, I love it. But I think anyone any bigger should try the 18″ frame, it’s borderline area.

biker66
    Free Member

Hi Fatboy slim. I wondered if you got your frame and which size? Just found out my order didn't go through for my summer season, so have to order again tomorrow. Now thinking should i change from 18 to 16
    5'11 and 32. It is damn borderline. Shouldn't really matter either way too much but can't help obssesing over it. I ride a 24 inch BMX and want a "big" bike for long rides in the woods and river paths. But know I'll end up jumping roots and stuff. Argggh! If only I could just sit on one. ( opps! No pun intended)

bunnerscj
    Free Member

6FT 4", 34" Leg, had SS frame and 456, 20" For me, tried other 18" frames but just too small for general XC stuff. I like to ride at full leg stretch therefore need the larger frame to avoid seatpost being over its limit on height.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

my 20" fitted me just fine. 6ft 1" – 32" inside legs on my kecks.\

Sold it now and missing it. 🙁

It always suffered chainsuck though which I don't miss. 🙂

swisstony
    Free Member

I'm 5'10" and i've got a 16", i did have an 18" 'normal' 456 but that was too big

Shandy
    Free Member

6'3", 18" 456 is great craic but my back starts hurting after 2 or 3 hours.

biker66
    Free Member

Hi Swisstony. In what way did it feel too big? Too long to chuck around? Or too high in the standover?
    Seems like a really close call. 18 and short stem. 16 and long stem.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

6ft with 32inch leg and ride a 18" SS. Also have an 18" scandal but SS has shorter stem. Seem to fit me nicely.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

5'10" with 16" 456 with short stem, spot on for me. At 6", probably an 18" i'd have thought.

swisstony
    Free Member

It was the standover really and the tt felt a smidge too long even with the 60mm stem i run. For old school XC it would have been fine but for more interesting stuff i couldn't really move the bike around under me as much as i'd of liked. FWIW I wouldn't run a long stem on bike like that in anysize, i think for handling it needs to be a fairly tight.

grumm
    Free Member

I'm 5'7 and a half and ordered a 14" – mainly want it for messing about on jumps but would still like to be able to pedal it around trail centres. We shall see.

jonb
    Free Member

5"10 with long legs and an 18" here and short stem. It's fine for xc and the seat goes low enough that I'm happy playing around on bmx parks and the like). Look closely at the geometry and there's something like 1/2" in the top tube and 2" in the seat tube between the 16" and the 18". With that in mind you'll have plenty of standover with the 18 but with the 16" you'll need a mahoosive seatpost. I doubt you'll notice the top tube length.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I'm 5'10" and have a 16" Summer Season with 75mm stem and an 18" singlespeed inbred.

I had the 18" first and it feels spot on for most riding, i just thought that for riding in places like Lee Quarry, Peak District etc where it will get used i would chance it and get a smaller frame. It is spot on for playing about on, but does feel a little short sometimes. Although I am quite happy riding most stuff on the 18", but around my height is the supposed overlap on sizes.

I wouldnt recommend a long stem on a summer season though, I have a 75mm on and wouldnt want it any longer, the only reason it isnt shorter is so i can comfortably ride XC on it too.

pitduck
    Free Member

my brother is 6`1 and rides a 16 😀

devs
    Free Member

Just found out my order didn't go through for my summer season, so have to order again tomorrow.

How did you find this out? I'm paranoid about my order because although I've got a confirmation from paypal I've had nowt from On One.
    To the OP I would say with 99.9% certainty you need the 18". I'm 6'3" and ride a 20" but having sat on an 18" too there's not a whole lot of difference to be honest.

biker66
    Free Member

Hi DeVs. I paid through the HSBC option. I had conformation from On One. But they called me yesterday to say it didn't go through.
    I had to order again from the website. Luckly they had "lots" of my frame size and colour.I used paypal this time.

Anyway. I decided to stick with the 18. I think both would be cool, but you can't really tell 'till you ride 'em.
    If it was going to be my only bike, maybe I'd to with 16. But I have a jump bike. This is suposed to be my grown up bike.
    I guess it boils down to, XC with a bit of DH/jump about, or DH/jump about with a bit of XC.

lorettocourt
    Free Member

Hello – biker66 – I know this is an old post but I am wondering how you are getting on with the 18" 456? I ask because I am having the same dilemma over whether to go with a 16" or an 18". I am 5'10" and my riding sounds similar to yours – mostly XC but I tend to cane it on the downs and like the jumps – think Caddon Bank at Innerleithen at a rapid rate of knots! I have a Commencal 666 full suss for proper bouncing about stuff but I do the odd race and like long days in the saddle across the hills so prefer the hardtail for that – hence wanting the 456. i'd appreciate anything you have to say.
    thanks

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

loreto.. check this thread

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/456-sizing-advice-16-or-18-for-510

I went for a 16" and think its perfect, and come from a similar full sus fun on the downs perspective.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I'm 5' 10" and went for an 18". Got a 70mm 20deg rise stem and its about right for XC, a bit long maybe on twisty descents but I wouldn't want it any shorter for sat in the saddle.

Doesn't the summer season especially suit a short stem due to the slack head angle?

I have a mate who is 5'8" ish and he's just had to get a 400mm seatpost get a good enough saddle height on a 16".

mushrooms
    Free Member

5'11 on a 16" and 400mm post with a good amount left in the frame. The head angle looks a bit slack but it works really well off road.

hora
    Free Member

From what you say definitely a 16". Im 6ft1.5 and ride a 16" 456 'XC'.

I had a 18" Ti456 and a 18" Inbred and found them too long. Seatpost? No problems. Use a Thomson and had no issues.

What about one of those heavy bluepigs? They'd be good for DH?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘On one 456 Summer Season RAW sizing advice’ is closed to new replies.