Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • On-One 29er XC Possible hamfisted destruction. Help me fix it please.
  • i_like_food

I’m not the most patient mechanic, but I get by. My general rule is to only fix stuff I know how to fix when I have sufficient time to fix it. I stick to my rules and (generally) nothing expensive gets broken. (we’ll put the cutting of the integrated seatpost too short for another thread I think).

But this time, with 10 minutes till I have to leave to pick up micro-likes_food from school I decide to replace the bearings in my front wheel… what was I thinking?

End caps off, easy a 5 mm allen key in each one and off they spin. Mmmm, I’m faced with a new situation, a threaded axle with 10mm allen key bolted ends (if that even makes sense). ‘Ahah’ I think, two 10mm allen keys are needed to undo the axle by turning them in opposite directions. What was I thinking!

Cue some excessive force and a knackered axle. The soft aluminium end of the axle has splayed out and split.

If anyone can help me a) get the axle out and b) find a new one I’d be very grateful.

Yes I have contacted On One. They don’t have spare axles and say it should slide out (and my rubber mallet says it won’t, and my rubber mallet has never been wrong about things not sliding out before!)

i_like_food

No one knows how I could do this? Hit it harder?

Rubber_Buccaneer

a threaded axle with 10mm allen key bolted ends (if that even makes sense). ‘Ahah’ I think, two 10mm allen keys are needed to undo the axle by turning them in opposite directions

I can’t picture this, how about a picture?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Axle is actually a spacer sleeve to support the bearing’s inner race?
    Probably need to batter the axle from one side whilst supporting the other side and let it push the bearing out.

i_like_food

Thanks Rubber_Buccaneer and bigyinn.

Here’s a photo of the end of the axle. The threaded bits you can see are normally covered by the end caps. At 10 o’clock on the end of the axle you can see where I’ve knackered it by twisting too hard with a 10 mm allen key.

bigyinn – I’ll hit it harder and report back!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Before you get all primeval on its ass, try warming up the hubshell with a hairdryer first, this should expand the shell a little and perhaps allow the bearing to release a little easier.
    I’d also get some sort of confirmation that the axle is just pressed in, before you cause more damage.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Try a normal hammer with a block of hard wood instead of the rubber mallet.
    I’ve never had much success removing or fitting bearings with a rubber mallet.

i_like_food

OK, thanks bigyinn & mrjmt. 🙂 I will report back with progress (or lack of!)

i_like_food

Yup, just needed to hit it harder while supporting the other side and using a metal hammer and a piece of wood. Axle and bearings came out no problem.

Axle is definitely knackered. Since Planet X don’t have spares I’d say the likelyhood of finding another is pretty slim so it’s either rebuild on a new hub (faff + high likelyhood of needing different spokes) or new wheel. New wheel time I think. 🙁

Thanks for the advice. Lesson learnt… until the next time! 😳

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘On-One 29er XC Possible hamfisted destruction. Help me fix it please.’ is closed to new replies.