Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • ON ONE 29ER ANYBODY
  • mollski
    Free Member

Anybody on here ride 1?if so post some photos please and tell me what you think ?

tk46hal
    Free Member

I do and love them!
    Scandal 16 inch 29er.

mollski
    Free Member

looks sweet how much to build that minta?

mboy
    Free Member

Recently sold mine (steel inbred 29er, 18″ in Purple), which is about to be winging its way to its new owner. Main reason I’ve sold it is that my GF has now started riding, and the 29er is the one bike I’ve got she can’t fit on. I’ve got too many bikes, made sense more than anything to keep all the 26″ wheeled ones.

Anyway, about the bike… Frame is V heavy (5lb 14oz) if that’s off putting, but that’s about the only negative. The geometry is spot on, handles much sharper than you imagine a 29er should. In fact it was a bit too sharp with the Reba’s at 80mm so I upped them to 100mm which sorted it out and made it more stable.

Genuinely would have another one again, though probably a ti 29er, or perhaps a geared Scandal if I was to entertain the idea of racing XC at all…

mollski
    Free Member

thanks mboy you got any old photos?

tk46hal
    Free Member

The Scandal 16 inch weighs 3lb and the 18inch around 3.5lb.They don’t come lighter than this unless you go plastic! A great bike frame and nice and flexy at the back.

tazzymtb

can’t stand the things, bloomin ‘orrible 😉

tk46hal
    Free Member

Mollski,

I try not to count up what I spend on bike bits, life is too short! 😆
    To have a guess though, I would say 2 to 2.5k, but you can save a small fortune buying off here. I’m now building a s/s Scandal 29er and I will buy good seconds to save £.

Good luck!

Andy

There you go. Ti29er. Love it!

photo.JPG by carlos_fandango, on Flickr

chainslapp
    Free Member

Picto
    Free Member

DSC00643 by shaun244, on Flickr

Superb bike. Now off with its new owner exploring new pastures.
    Looks a lot like one posted above.

mrvear
    Free Member

16 inch 29er bikes look very wrong to me, I think its because the top of the seat tube is lower than the tires.
    I wouldn’t fancy a wheels bigger than my inside leg measurement.

dogthomson

Funny you should post this, as I’m picking up my Scandal 29er today. Can’t wait! 😀

takisawa2

Mine.
    Now sporting shorter stem & different tyres. Running two rear cogs to decide on best ratio.
    Love it.

IMAG0285 by pten2106, on Flickr

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

built this last year for about 700 quid. frame, fork, wheels and saddle were a s/h job lot off here, the rest was brand new from merlin.

swapped the 3×10 slx for 8 speed alfine a few month ago

only been riding for 14 months so haven’t got much to compare it with. irons out the bumps and is much smoother than previous orange evo, even with rigid forks. no grumbles about the handling, it’s perfect for the majority of my riding which is off-piste at cannock, wouldn’t mind if it was a few lbs lighter. took it to penmachno and though there were several of us on rigid 29ers by the end of the ride it had worn me down so looking for bounce at both ends before i go back but that will be an additional bike to this one, not instead of.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Yep. Got two. Both ace.

tazzymtb

my silver freaky machine up there will be for sale soon if anyone wants a super agile, climbing monster

firestarter
    Free Member

One of these With plastic forks would be much lighter than my karate monkey wouldn’t it mmm

marty_mayhem
    Free Member

Tazzymtb what size an spec is it??

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Had a Scandal – didnt like the harsh alu ride and the rubbish vertical dropouts.
    Had a steel one, far better ride (steel being real) but still got rubbish vert dropouts.

Now ride a Singular Swift with EBB and NORMAL dropouts – sooooooo much easier for ensuring rear wheel,brake caliper etc are all in line.

ski
    Free Member

Mine running cx rubber to commute with 😉

Clink

I’ve had the ti 29er for several years. Tried several/lots (no comments please from anyone I know!) of other frames in that time and it’s the one I always come back to.

bedmaker

Got a steel one and Ti one, Ti is for sale at the mo.

P1000117 by LOVATSTOVES, on Flickr

firestarter
    Free Member

Fat fronts not for sale is it bedmaker

bedmaker

No, borrowed from epicyclo.

ourmaninthenorth

Being a shortarse, I’d have to go for a 16″. Which would be ace rigid with a 440mm fork.

Oh, what’s that, the Ragley TD-1 at £1300…. 😥

firestarter
    Free Member

Worth an ask lol

tazzymtb

marty- it’s a prototype scandal from 2007 with different geometry (much more agile in the twisty bits) than the normal scandals. The seat tube is a 16″ but the ETT is as long as the 18″. Funnily enough it goes very well with short rigid forks, much like the TD-1 which is really rather similar just a further evolution, but can see how Brant’s creative juices were flowing.

I’ll sell it as a frame with mirror polished hope headset, mirror polished token Ti seat clamp, thompson seat post and a fizik gobi.

I’ll put it on the classified in a few weeks once my new toy arrives

ourmaninthenorth

I’ll sell it as a frame with mirror polished hope headset, mirror polished token Ti seat clamp, thompson seat post and a fizik gobi.

Must. Resist.

tazzymtb

ourmaninthenorth, with a nice 440-470 carbon fork on it, it comes in around 18lbs, with the set up shown it’s 22lb with it’s fat boy tyres on and a boingy fork.

As Picto will testify, it’s quite quick

ourmaninthenorth

Certainly looks rapid..!

I suspect I’m too much of a (5’7″) shortarse for it, TBH. Shame, as I’d love a twitchy 29er to go fast offroad.

tazzymtb

you can have a test ride if you fancy- the stand over is huge, so at 5ft 7 you’ll be fine. My wife rides it with 70mm stem on and she’s 5ft 6

ourmaninthenorth

Don’t tempt me – already just had to turn down a cross bike because of imminent house move….

tazzymtb

LOL- it’ll be a few weeks before it’s on the classifieds, just look away when it pops up 😀

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Just for comparison purposes, I bought one of these: 😆

Way more expensive than an on one but way less popular too 😀

tazzymtb

and way just exactly the same geometry and dimensions 😉

emac65
    Free Member

Way more expensive than an on one but way less popular too

That must be heavy that’s why you need all those gears for it,can’t ride too well either if you need one of them bouncy fings at the front…… 8)

Clink

I’ll put it on the classified in a few weeks once my new toy arrives

what’s that then tazzy?? ❓

john_l
    Free Member

not an on-one

Clink

what’s that then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘ON ONE 29ER ANYBODY’ is closed to new replies.