Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • On bike GPS/computer thingy
  • toys19
    Free Member

I’m looking for a bike computer with GPS. Will this Mio 300 be better than using endomondo on my phone?

toys19
    Free Member

bump

cookeaa

You could probably get a garmin edge 500 for about the same money.

Do you actually want turn by turn navigation on a bike?

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t think I do, but I would like to be able to see a map, sometimes..
    I waqnt to be able to track location/distance/alt, which that does. Not fussed about hrm/cadence.

timba
    Free Member

My experience is that the phone battery can be limited as compared to a GPS, and I’d rather have the phone fully charged for making that “Come and get me” call
    The GPS is possibly more rugged and waterproof, but that’ll depend on your phone
    My personal choice is an Etrex 30, but the Etrex 20 is less money, you can use them for walking, etc, as well
    The Etrex can use both GPS and GLONASS satellites so keeps a signal very well

Mackem

If HRM and cadence arent important how about a Garmin Touring GPS.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-touring-gps-cycle-computer/

toys19
    Free Member

Thank you for the reccomendations. Do either the touring or the etrex do altitude, and route logging/tracking/speed etc?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a Mio 505 GPS unit, very happy with it.
    Battery life is far better than my phone, the readings are slightly different than Endomondo as well, distance & altitude gain are higher for some reason.
    The route planning & general use is good, lots of features but very easy to use, mine has WiFi as well so i don’t even have to connect to the PC to upload my tracks. The decider for me over Garmin was the ‘surprise me’ feature where you put in a time or a distance & it gives you 3 routes based on difficulty – great for riding in a new place you don’t know.

My Mio can also be used in walking and driving mode as well, also has road/MTB functions.

Mackem

Yeah they do what you ask. I dont have either, but they are both what I’ll be choosing between when I get a
    new GPS. I’m just using an old Garmin 205
    http://blog.wiggle.com/2013/11/20/review-garmin-edge-touring/?utm_source=product-description&utm_medium=wiggle-site&utm_campaign=garmin-edge-touring-review

houndlegs
    Free Member

The garmin also has the “surprise me” feature.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ll be honest I’m not sure I need the suprise me feature..

Hmmm decisions..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘On bike GPS/computer thingy’ is closed to new replies.