Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • OMG Just ridden a half decent road frame
  • brant
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    That looks niiice Brant….which catalogue?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Cheeky boy.
    Not made in my shed, but all ours. Muhahahahaha

hora
    Free Member

Not my cup of tea Brant. Could you make an elegant, flowing version? 😉 I love that De Rosa. Stunning. Is that the one I was drooling over even though it was the wrong size?? 🙂

The reason why I clicked on this thread- it sparked an intense memory…As a kid I rode alot of road bikes. Then one day I had a spin on my mates Dads (who was a marshal/keen club member) and tbh I just couldn’t give the bike back. It was utterly amazing. Never ridden anything like it.

I’d love to recreate that.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got little legs but a long upper body, so I buy bikes for the length rather than the height. It makes them look like the bike is too big for me, but otherwise I end up with a stem about 130-140 mm and struggle to get far enough back

Fair enough!

Rorschach, apparently the Specialized adjustable stems without the adjustable shim thingy fit, as do the Syntace F119. Not tried it, but a chap came into the shop saying as much last week. I’ve got an unused F119 if that’s of any interest? 100mm IIRC. Happy to offer ‘sale or return’ 🙂

Edit: a bit more digging suggests the Spesh one is a bit dubious, but the Syntace does fit, and FSA are doing a very expensive one. Ritchey are also available through Canyon (who use a 1.25″ stem).

carbon337
    Free Member

I was looking at the Scott Foil yestrday – working out how i can pay for the 20 version. Turns out i cant nor can i pay for the TCR Advanced 2 i fancy either.

I probably can afford the new N2A frame from PX though 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

On closer inspection the very bottom of the fork looks a bit ugly or is that just an illusion the way it starts to bend backwards?

EDIT: Not to mention the saddle and stem

njee20
    Free Member

And the amber wall tyres.

carbon337
    Free Member

This is a bit better:

[/url]

wwaswas

I agree with njee20 – wheels look a bit ‘quick, what have we got in the workshop that’ll fit’.

(which from what I’ve read on frame delivery/build time may well have been the case).

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’m no racer but changing my Ribble Sportive frame (admittedly a more relaxed fit) to a Spesh SL2 (in teh sales I might add) the difference was very noticable 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

That bottom one looks pretty awesome actually. Looks like a long headtube though.

hora
    Free Member

What would you guys recommend for a decent bike purchase?

Forget the ‘first bike/newbie’ bike. Something that punches above its price is more the ideal.

wwaswas

well I quite fancy that 2nd N2 P-X there so can you buy that and then sell it to me at 50% of retail after a month?

hora
    Free Member

Only if I bought it at cost price 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

ooh that PX is nasty.

The BB area looks good but the seatstays are too big where it joins the seattube and the headtube area is ‘orrid (IMO)

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a lot better than many of the new breed of aero road bikes, the Cervelo S5 is utterly gopping!

timc
    Free Member

brant – Member
    Bike with 1lb lighter wheels climbs hills quick shocker.

more like better bike costs more shocker…

flange
    Free Member

I’ve always felt that the wheels make a much bigger difference than the frame both on MTB’s and Road bikes. I’d be tempted to go for one of those Planet-X’s and stick some really nice wheels on it, C24’s or similar….

njee20
    Free Member

An aero frame with shallow section wheels? A bit pointless no? Or do you mean a Nanolight?

I’d far rather have those Planet X 50mm deeps than C24s anyway! The Dura Ace C50s are nice though.

hora
    Free Member

“‘ve always felt that the wheels make a much bigger difference than the frame both on MTB’s and Road bikes.”

Geniune question (agree on road bikes) – but on mtb’s – really??

Yes tyres (drag, centrifugal weight/spin) but I thought it was only light rims to feel any difference but then you’d compromise strength??

brant
    Free Member

Heh… the N2A with the white turbo, Spinachi’s, Suzue hubs and amber wall Grand Bois tyres was Dave (PX Owner’s) personal custom semi-piss-take build.

Proper build is the other one as ridden by RoadCC.

Dave was looking at putting green fixie-pops tyres on it at one point.

Bike will take a 26C which we’re delighted about 🙂

flange
    Free Member

I’ve found those Planet X 50’s a bit flexy, and stuff like the FFWD’s and cheaper Reynolds are heavy, especially the clinchers.

I’m more thinking along the lines of the OP with his PX SL, changing the wheels from Aksiums to something lighter would make a big difference without the need for a new frame. Unless you want to spend mega money on Enve or the higher end Reynolds, you’d be better with a decent shallow section rim on some decent hubs for the same money. Just my opinion of course, and deep section wheels do look much better…

My biggest revelation came when I switched from SPD’s to look pedals with some stiff carbon shoes – the difference was massive.

flange
    Free Member

Hora – I can’t believe the difference lighter wheels made to my xc bike, best money I’ve ever spent..

brant
    Free Member

I’ve found those Planet X 50’s a bit flexy

We do a 24 spoke front version for people who find the 20’s a bit floppy.

flange
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong Brant, they’re a good wheel and I used them (well, the 80/100) on my TT bike. Just found them a bit flexy for crits

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve found those Planet X 50’s a bit flexy, and stuff like the FFWD’s and cheaper Reynolds are heavy, especially the clinchers.

Well yeah, deep section clinchers are heavy unless you spend silly money! The tub FFWDs aren’t heavy though, F4Rs look really good. It’s why I’d go tubs, or build on some Alpha rims for clinchers. C24s are nice, but expensive.

hora
    Free Member

“Hora – I can’t believe the difference lighter wheels made to my xc bike, best money I’ve ever spent..”

Which ones etc? I’m currently using Hope Hoops on DT Swiss5.1/EX500

flange
    Free Member

I’m using Tune King/Kong on Stans 355’s or whatever they’re now called. But I know Njee uses A2Z or whatever they’re called and they’re meant to be more reliable. Had some Amercian Classic hubs on velocity rims, really light but the hubs were made of cheese and I was forever snapping spokes. Depends on what you want to use them for of course…

hora
    Free Member

Just general trail riding really. I had CK’s for almost 7yrs that went through a variety of rims before they eventually gave up.

flange
    Free Member

Personally for the cost the CK’s are a bit heavy IMO. Lovely hubs though…

If its trail riding then you’re probably best off on what you’ve got, maybe with some light’ish tyres. But whatever you do, don’t get the Crank bros wheels, any of them. Pretty light but utter shit…

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I had my first date with a road bike this weekend, having treated myself to this bad girl. Let’s call her ‘Tina. Quite possibly the most aesthetically pleasing object I’ve ever owned.

Had a fantastic ride round most of the Isle of Wight in perfect conditions. As with any first date, and after 20 years of riding flat-barred bikes of one sort or another, I never quite knew what to do with my hands. 😕

njee20
    Free Member

Personally for the cost the CK’s are a bit heavy IMO. Lovely hubs though…

+1, DT240s on Crests with your choice of spoke would be a very nice set up for all round trail use.

Saying that, as Flange said I’ve been really impressed with the A2Z hubs, and would certainly use them again! I’m sure there’ll be a catch with them, but I’ve not found it yet! Mine built with Podiums and Revolutions are 1246g with yellow tape and valves. They’re quick.

carbon337
    Free Member

Tina is a pretty little thing, congrats.

You lot ^ quit the mtb talk up there

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry sir. 😳

Willier needs proper pedals.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Sorry sir.

Willier needs proper pedals.

I know, I’ve got some of those Shimano SPD ones that look like road pedals for her now.

Don’t want to go the whole hog with the disco slippers just yet – I was enough like Bambi on ice on the bike, never mind on foot.

And the Singletrack drinking bottle is a nod to the cognoscenti and a little hommage to my mountain bike roots.

LoCo
    Free Member

Rode one of the top of the range Trek OCLV frames when they first came out years ago was about 6k at the time I think (10 odd years ago), just twisted my brain how good it was 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

I know, I’ve got some of those Shimano SPD ones that look like road pedals for her now.

You mean touring pedals? A520s maybe? I use them on my road bike in winter so I can use my mtb winter boots.

Rode one of the top of the range Trek OCLV frames when they first came

I’ve just got a 2012 Madone 5.9 frame, very nice to ride but not as sexy as something Italian I suppose.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Just done my usual 43 mile pre race ride, and compared to my Planet X SL Pro it felt akin to cheating.

So how much faster were you then oldgit? Unless your time for the ride was significantly faster then your old bike at the same level of effort I’d put what you’re noticing down to the placebo effect.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

But your Wilier is running Campag, how very dare you mix the two in any type, shape or form!!

mudshark
    Free Member

So how much faster were you then oldgit?

I’ve thought about this before, if I put a power meter onto various bikes and kept the power constant over the same course on the different bikes then compared the time, that would show how the different bikes compared objectively wouldn’t it? But I haven’t heard anyone do this so probably wrong.

Blackhound

I have one of those Giant TCR 2’s that racefaceec90 mentioned on previous page. Unridden, no pedals with rrp of £1,499. It is next years model as well.

Looking to sell for £1,000 keep meaning to put it on classifieds (somebody let me down!). The groupset is Ultegra / 105 and Giant finishing kit. It is a M/L size for 5’9″ to 5’11” people. Email in profile if anybody interested.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘OMG Just ridden a half decent road frame’ is closed to new replies.