Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Omata ‘analog’ gps
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’ve just stumbled across the Omata One gps; basically it’s a gps based bike computer with an analog readout. It’s pricey and probably a bit of a showy gimmick (essentially it’s just a recording/display device, so no navigation facilities) but it is rather pretty and I do quite like the idea of an analog speedometer.

They’re new to me but I wondered whether anyone had used one.

https://omata.com/

Bike Radar aren’t keen

scaredypants

the whole point of an omata is that nobody talks about it

qwerty
    Free Member

Yea I’ve seen those too, I love the product, but it’s not in my price range.

alwillis

Love the simple aesthetic, but two issues- 1 is no power meter display, 2 the $550 price tag

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well alot of numbers. I guess that wil be super handy for glancing at mid race and gaining all the info you need.

Seems like a pointless solution to a problem that didn’t exist.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Tonight Pjay sleeps with the fishes🤫

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Like alwills I really like the idea, but not the price tag!

Would be quite nice if someone did a digital version to compete with the lower end edge. Could improve battery life as a black background takes a lot less energy to display on an oled (not a backlit lcd). Could get arround the issue of not enough dials by just swiping between them then. Or having a workout mode that defaulted it to power whenever an interval started.

If you like that, have a look at beeline for navigation.

muddy@rseguy

Would be quite nice if someone did a digital version

…which is pretty much missing the whole point.

Cards on the table time, its designed by my old college flatmate (who incidentally got me into mountain biking back in the day). Whole idea is that its just showing you core info in analogue display format, a bit like a car speedo display or one of those cable driven old speedos you could get for bikes in the 1970’s, lots of other info is available for upload and evaluation after your ride but not during so you just get on with riding the bike and not worrying about/being distracted by HRM zones, wattage, meters per minute climbed etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So all the useful info is taken away ? I’d rather know my watts or even hr than my speed .

Speeds an arbitrary figure driven by external forces.

Power and hrm are things you can have effect on and are thus useful.

slowoldman

It’s the first rule.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

…which is pretty much missing the whole point.

Yea, but “the point” is that its kinda pointless? Its really cool. But as trail rat says, speed is arbitrary.

Usefull cycle metrics;
    Time (because the cafe stop is at 11)
    Heart rate (ohh look, this hurts in a quantifiable way as well as just in my legs)
    Power (can i hurt the guy behind me a bit more on this hill)

Rubber_Buccaneer

I do like the look of them but being a cheapskate I may look for an IQ app for my Garmin to replicate the look until the novelty wears off or I need the map screen

slowoldman

I’m with the “looks cool but is a bit crap” team. I tend to look mostly at HR, cadence and map. Speed will look after itself.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

All I look at now is heart rate. Since working to that I’m getting PBs and better average speeds compared to my old flat out everywhere method.
    I still want one of these though,

imnotverygood

so you just get on with riding the bike and not worrying about/being distracted by HRM zones, wattage, meters per minute climbed etc

Rather than being distracted by the speed you are going, distance travelled, elapsed time and elevation gained? Pretetentious waste of money…sorry.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I was one of the UK beta testers a couple of years back.

The device is just there to record your ride for review after. The removal of extra information such as hr and power was fine for that. It worked well and was a pleasure to use as little details like the latency of the needles were more pleasing and easy to follow than the digital decimal readout of the Garmin. If you think of it as a device for recording your ride rather than an in-depth on the hoof data analysis device then you’re about there.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Put Garmin in pocket.

Save fortune.

Domt get me wrong I like the aesthetics.

But it just doesn’t seem to do anything useful.to warrent the big bucks

cookeaa

I like the look and the idea, unfortunately, and I expect this is the case for a number of people, it’s missing some key features that a base model Garmin would deliver for a lot less spend…

I tend not to care about current speed, but do have Avg speed up, total Ascent I like to know but isn’t essential, distance covered is worth having, personally I would want cadence and I’m sure lots of people would want to be able to see watts, but setting all of those aside, these day a $500 head unit that doesn’t display HR/HR zones is a ridiculous proposition, everyone has a HR strap and 99% would expect it as basic feature from all but the most cheap and cheerful GPS head units…

They’ll be going bust before too long.

tthew

…everyone has a HR strap…

er, I don’t and nobody I mountain bike ride with does. A few of the more serious testers and racers in my club use them, but it’s far from universal.

But you’ve got me worried now, do I need to purchase one to wear when I’m popping down the Co-op or going to the pub?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But you’ve got me worried now, do I need to purchase one to wear when I’m popping down the Co-op or going to the pub?

Depends, do you need to know how fast you’re going or how far the shops are?

Surely the reason for it’s existance is really the same as the reason a £5000 omega seamaster exists. It has nothing to do with telling the time, or even anything to do with aesthetics…..

tthew

Depends, do you need to know how fast you’re going or how far the shops are?

The most important co-op metric is carrier bag weight distribution to determine if I’m going to be able to steer properly.

On the way home from the pub, did I drink enough pints to provide a sufficient alcoholic bodywarmer because I forgot my coat.

Two vitally important data sets, that I don’t believe any of the major GPS manufacturers have covered.

cookeaa

Up to you really, but paying ~£30 for a HR strap is hardly profligate when set against a £500 “Analogue GPS” missing several useful data fields.

OF course if you want an item with true “Analogue charm” to fit to your #hipstersled I reckon this is better:

Nice…

stevious

I actually like the choice of data fields – I tend to prefer not to do a bunch of maths while out riding. Most of my proper training is indoors now and my outdoor riding is for fun.

I don’t like how it looks, mind. Although I don’t like those big watches that it’s modelled after either so I’m probably not

oldtennisshoes

I ordered mine with my Rapha mechanics trews.

zilog6128

I was one of the UK beta testers a couple of years back.

The device is just there to record your ride for review after. The removal of extra information such as hr and power was fine for that. It worked well and was a pleasure to use as little details like the latency of the needles were more pleasing and easy to follow than the digital decimal readout of the Garmin. If you think of it as a device for recording your ride rather than an in-depth on the hoof data analysis device then you’re about there.

Would you actually spend your own money on one though?

I like the aesthetic, but it’s WAY too much (for me) for something that just looks cool… and I would’ve thought most people who spend tons of money on stuff for their bikes are probably also the people who want ALL the data available at all times (so I don’t really know who would buy it)

Good luck to the fella though, always nice to see someone doing something a bit different!

joemmo
    Free Member

It is appealing but looks very much like it was designed backwards in that the designer wanted to make an analogue display then came up with the reasoning to justify it.

oldtennisshoes

Its a beautiful thing (probably) to be marketed to the kind of riders that are members of the Rapha Cycling Club, like a decent espresso and perhaps appreciate the aesthetics of kit rather than just its function. I like it, and if I had the physique, bike and time to do it justice I’d probably buy one.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Omata ‘analog’ gps’ is closed to new replies.