Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Olympus OM-D10 mk 2 or 3
  • failedengineer

Anyone got one? Comments? Which lenses?

benman
    Free Member

Had an OMD-EM10 Mk2 for about 5ish years now. Had the EM10 mk1 before that.

Its been great, the IBIS is excellent. The only Olympus camera that has tempted me since is the new EM5 Mk3. Some great composite modes built into them.

I keep thinking about a full frame, but I don’t think I would carry it around as much as my little Olympus.

Been through lots of prime lenses, but I’ve pared back to the few I actually use…

Panasonic 25mm f1.4 (this lives on the camera – superb)
    Olympus 17mm f1.8 (not super sharp, but has a certain style which I like)
    Samyang Fisheye 7.5mm f3.5 (great laugh, and takes super sharp shots wide open)

Ones I’ve sold…

Olympus 45mm f1.8 (superb, but didn’t get enough use)
    Panasonic 15mm f1.7 (didn’t like as much as the Olympus 17mm)
    Olympus 25mm f1.8 (lovely, but not quite as sharp as the Panasonic 25mm)

munkster
    Free Member

I’ve got the mk ii, reading up on it before buying there appeared to be little to suggest it was necessary to spend the extra on the mk iii…

Lenses: 17mm kit lens, 45mm portrait, 60mm macro, 75-300 zoom all m.zuiko. Plus 7artisans 7.5mm manual fisheye.

I think I’m going to stop buying lenses now 😮

vinnyeh

I’ve a Mk2 (and an E-m5mk1) for sale if you’re interested- only selling because I’ve bought an E-M1 mk2.

Lenses, I’ve the 45mm, nice, fast, sharp, cheap, but I don’t like the focal length much. 12-50 kit lens, has a decent macro, fly by wire zoom which takes a bit of getting used to, but is a definite cut above the 14-42 kit lens, cheap 40-150 kit lens- better than might be expected, but af is worse than useless on the E-M5 and 10, it needs the E-M1’s phase detection to work with any speed  or accuracy in low light or with moving objects. I’ve also the 12-40 2.8 which stays on the camera nearly all the time, fast enough, decent zoom and lovely sharpness. Toying with the idea of replacing it with the 12-100 f4, it’s at a decent price on Amazon at the moment, but can’t really decide whether it’s justified.

Like munkster says, there little reason to buy the mk3, if anything it’s been dumbed down a bit. Depending on your budget and needs, it might be worth looking for a secondhand E-M1 mk1, only suggesting this because used copies are now selling for 2-300, same sensor as the E-M10, but has phase detection af, which works better for moving objects, also gives you the opportunity to use the legacy Olympus 4/3 lenses, which are typically cheaper (secondhand) than the micro4/3 equivalents.

failedengineer

What sort of prices are you looking for?

cp

I’ve got an M10 MK2 – I forgot went for it over the MK3. If anything, the MK3 is a downgrade – I think Olympus tried to get more separation to the M5..

it’s a brilliant camera. I came from a string of canon aps-c bodies, the last of which was a 70d. Don’t regret it all. Previous use of an evf made me doubt myself, but I really like it in the M10.

Lenses I have – Olympus 17mm 1.8 (lovely!), Olympus 45 1.8 and 40-150r (lowest performance, it’s ok in decent light).

CraigW
    Free Member

Worth a look at the Panasonic cameras as well. eg Lumix G7 or G80 would be about equivalent.
    Maybe better in some ways, especially for video, eg they can do 4K, and have microphone input, and tilt/swivel screen. And the G80 is weather sealed, less to worry about if out in the rain.

failedengineer

Anyone got any experience of the 14-42 kit lens? My worry is that I won’t see any appreciable difference to my Olympus Stylus 1s, which isn’t half bad.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just saw one of these in the flesh. Wow its tiny! (compared to my Canon.) Really could see that being great for photography when out with the bike. I really don’t need another bunch of lenses though. 🙁

kynasf
    Free Member

I sold all my full frame stuff around 5 years ago and bought an Olympus EP5, which is the predecessor to the the Pen F. I had all the gear, Nikon D700 with the pro lenses and a Leica M9, but the move was a good one for me. Key benefits are I can now take it with me practically anywhere (it fits into my framebag), the IBIS is great, and I love the look of Olympus lenses. I use the 17mm f1.8 and the 45mm f1.8. The 45mm is my favourite, terrific for portraits, super sharp, and very small. I did also have a Panasonic GH4 and 7-14mm f4, but never really liked it, so sold that a while back. I don’t know much about the M10, but Olympus are great at stabilisation and their lenses are as good as anything I’ve used, so doubt you will be disappointed with whichever one you choose. Also, I’d consider used lenses from Wex Photo or MBP. Most that come up seem to be in excellent condition. I imagine they mostly come from hobbyists rather than pros, so haven’t had the same level of use.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Great cameras ! I’ve experience of some similar models, had an EM5 Mk2 and now have the EM1 Mk2 and a bunch of Pro lenses.
    As said fantastic stabilisation and some great in camera features such as the various stacking modes.
    I love the Livecomp mode for really simple startrails.
    (Not sure if all those features appear on the 10…

The lenses are really nice too especially the Pro’s which are built like tanks as well, makes for a really tough system.
    You haven’t mentioned what you will be taking pictures of so can’t really comment on best lens options.
    I have the Pro 7-14 ,12-40 and 40-150 with the latter spending most time in the body – superb bit of kit, super sharp with instantaneous AF.
    The 2.8mm macro is great fun too, also works well out of macro mode as a portrait lens.

Note: if you are to invest in any Pro lenses prices are going up from the 1st Feb.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Olympus OM-D10 mk 2 or 3’ is closed to new replies.