Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Olympics – which side are you on?
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

I wonder do Olympic haters train for any sports ?

Any sport at any level… be it an XC race/enduro/DH or maybe a triathlon/running race. Possibly you’ve started pre-season football training. You may be trying to win or just complete it doesn’t matter … but you have to be actively training for your sport to compete.

But somehow I don’t think the haters are … are they? … Or are just sitting around on fat behinds eating crisps and spouting rubbish.

emsz
    Free Member

Haven’t the olympics been sponsored from like the 80’s or something I think it seems worse cause it’s in your faces you lot haven’t been to glasto then? Or any festival for that matter?

I swear mcds must pay for most of the stuff that happens in this country

D0NK

thanks for illustrating my point ro5ey

SamCooke
    Free Member

Sam, if someone’s forcing drink and weed into you in order to have their way with your back passage tell us now. I’m sure someone here will be able to point you in the right direction for help.

I’m not falling for that again. I originally posted about the smoking and the drink, then I thought someone was pointing me in the right direction, it turned out they were just turning me around.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Any sport at any level… be it an XC race/enduro/DH or maybe a triathlon/running race. Possibly you’ve started pre-season football training. You may be trying to win or just complete it doesn’t matter … but you have to be actively training for your sport to compete.

But somehow I don’t think the haters are … are they? … Or are just sitting around on fat behinds eating crisps and spouting rubbish.

why would that matter?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

But Donk you’re not really a hater… you’ve got a soft spot for it.

When is all over and you’ve had a lovely time… G4S, wrong flags and countless other things big and little will be a distant memmory.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m not bothered either way, I won’t jump on the Oylimpic bandwagon if it’s successful, nor will I revel in any failure.
    It’s a global competition where we have an opportunity to see the best in the world competing against each other.
    I will celebrate the sport and that will always be successful in my book.

kimbers

well wonder no more – i race enduro and dh, (badly) even train for them but the olympics is bobbins
    not because of the sport but because of the corporate BS that surrounds it
    the public spirit watching the flame procession was great, the smasung video wall truck and coca cola lorry in the procession were by far the most prominent things however and that, for me was a great shame.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Doesn’t watching the Olympics involve sitting on a fat behind doing nothing more energetic than reaching for a pie or bag of crisps? do you need extensive training for that? (Actually i might having just acquired a Kymera wand but that’s another story).
    Anyway, I’ll be out on my bike, climbing 1 maybe 2 mountains and probably out to play in my kayak. None of these for training, just for fun, so i suppose I should fel bad because not watching the Olympics appears to be unhealthy and I’ll get obese from all that exercise

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Kimbers… you love the humanity and watch the sport… so you like it then?

Yes it’s overly corporate (but show me something in life that isn’t?)… just get on with enjoying it. You dont have to go out and buy the first can of coke you see or BMW that takes your fancy…

Let these sponsors pay for the athletes to be the best they can be… I know I’ll be getting more enjoyment out of it.

Would we have enjoy Tdf quite as much this year if SKY hadn’t backed their team and Wiggo n Cav couldn’t get the best of everything. I love the fact that Sky are throwing money at cycling… despite the fact as a corp I can’t stand them.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

show me something in life that isn’t?

[img]http://www.singletracks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/leaves_mountain_bike_trail.jpg[/img]

wrecker
    Free Member

My giveaf***ometer hasn’t flickered at all yet.
    It’s been sold and packaged as a London thing, for London people.
    I hope they enjoy it.
    Now, excuse me whilst I go and ride my bike down some massive mountains in europe for a week.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

BBSB … yes that’s really is very nice.

Just a little joke and leg pull …. Which one did you hug? 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

“plucky chipper southerner here”

I’ll be celebrating the Games Full On Jolly Hockey Sticks and all that dear Boy(s) (and Girls)

I have mates competing in the Sailing, mates who are in the Race teams, loads of ex Olympic medal winners at my sailing club and I know one or two blokes that ride bikes n’all y’know.

So I will be full on cheering them all on (whatever the nation) to encourage them to do thier best and realise all that effort and training and dedication and hope it pays off.

There will be a lot of folk who have no hope of winning a medal, yet they are competing in front of Us, for the sake of sport.

“dofts Cap”

The only thing that is spoiling it for me is this ferkin Govt medling in and all the Corporate BlobHeads that have tickets for free and will not turn up cos’ they can’t be bothered and leave empty seats that could have been filled with the likes of me and you…

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t watch much sport – live or on TV, so the whole thing sort of passes me by.

I’m not “hoping” for things to go wrong though.

And I won’t be tuning in to the coverage/opening ceremony etc and then whinging about it on here.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its a bloated parody of a sporting contest. Not that intersted

Genuinely interested – when you put the telly on and Bolt, Cavendish, Wiggo, Adlington & co are doing their thing, are you really thinking about corporate crap and political junk?

I’m certainly not. Sport is still sport, and I still love it.

edlong
    Free Member

Is this the whinging about the Olympics thread? Brilliant, I’ve got one:

Six hours at Old Trafford yesterday (no, that’s not the whinge), the only things available to feed the kids were pies and sausage rolls. It’s pretty bad when you actually wish McDonalds was available because it would be more healthy and nutritious…

Sorry, slight exaggeration, Pringles and chocolate were also available.

Lifer
    Free Member

For me it’s the hype that gets on my nerves. It can stand on it’s own FFS you don’t need to talk it up.

Also the fawning over the corporate sponsors is pretty sickening.

As for the actual sport, really looking forward to it now we can actually get on with it!

SamCooke
    Free Member

What percentage of the overall cost is actually covered by the corporate sponsors?

Lifer
    Free Member

I’ve got nothing against corporate sponsorship but there are some silly rules.

The fish and chip places aren’t allowed to serve chips on their own because of McDonalds objections, for example.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Would we have enjoy Tdf quite as much this year if SKY hadn’t backed their team and Wiggo n Cav couldn’t get the best of everything. I love the fact that Sky are throwing money at cycling… despite the fact as a corp I can’t stand them.

A discussion with some senior coaches of GB cycling at a track day I got invited to (corporate whore that I am) gave me a fresh perspective on SKY’s money in cycling. To be fair to SKY, when it came to cycling, they wanted a sport where they could make a massive difference by a cash injection – not just in terms of competitive success, but in terms of exposure and participation. In a different way to how they’ve changed football. I think we’re all seeing the results of that injection of cash over the last twelve months. The coaches were unashamedly pleased with SKY’s involvement – they were given money and let get on with it, with minimal interference from the sponsors. Of course, we’ll all worry that that might change with increasing success, but they’ve done an excellent job so far so I applaud them for that.

flange
    Free Member

I’m an Olympic ‘hater’ and yes, I do train. As much as I can do whilst fitting it around my job. Circa 20 hours a week on a good week. What’s your point?

It’s your type of attitude that I detest – I find the whole thing abhorrent and hate the fact that I’m essentially paying for(and being affected by) something I want nothing to do with.

AlasdairMc

To be fair to SKY, when it came to cycling, they wanted a sport where they could make a massive difference by a cash injection – not just in terms of competitive success, but in terms of exposure and participation

I think Sky is completely different to the Olympic sponsorship. They have thrown money into cycling and won a Tour de France. They’ve also got a number of mass participation bike rides on the go around the country, and are hopefully going to inspire a number of people to take up cycling as a result.

Coke have given us fizzy sugar water, McDonalds have given us bland and fatty food.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s your type of attitude that I detest – I find the whole thing abhorrent and hate the fact that I’m essentially paying for(and being affected by) something I want nothing to do with.

You do, don’t you? 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Alasdair, agree completely, as well as restricting the trade of other businesses that have existed around the Olympic sites for years.

bigad40
    Free Member

Drove along fulham road this morning with all barriers up pretending I was leading Cav through London to the finish line. Ok, I was only doing 25mph but it’s going to be brilliant. I live a few miles from box hill and want to go see what I can. Felt a bit miffed last weekend we couldn’t have our picnic on Box Hill but actually the whole world is going to see where I live tomorrow and Sunday!
    It’s going to be brilliant.

druidh
    Free Member

AlasdairMc – Member
    McDonalds have given us bland and fatty food. the ideal food for a round-the-world cycle race.

FTFY

flange
    Free Member

You do, don’t you?

Yup 😀 Like I say, everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of what it is. I just don’t agree with the majority of them by the sound of it.

theotherjonv

My 8yo daughter put many of us / you to shame this morning. She had tears in her eyes when she got up ‘because the Olympics is starting today and I’m going to see it, and I’m really excited and all my friends are excited, and lots of other people from all over the world are excited too, but it will be over in no time at all and then I’ll miss it’

For the next 2 weeks, forget about the corporate whoring and the water bottles and the cost and the politics, and look at it through an eight year old’s eyes. It starts tonight, in my town, I can’t wait any longer and I’m going to enjoy every last possible second of it that i can.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38[/video]

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good to see most folk have a reasonable/interesting viewpoint.

flange – Member
    I’m an Olympic ‘hater’ and yes, I do train. As much as I can do whilst fitting it around my job. Circa 20 hours a week on a good week. What’s your point?

20hrs? You a national level amateur?

Oh and that’s democracy…no one’s coming up with anything better yet.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

London Underground was great today – clean, on time etc. Really deserve those bonuses 😉 And those nice border guards called off the strike. Isn’t it great when everyone pulls together.

flange
    Free Member

20hrs? You a national level amateur?

Erm, well I race the nationals although I do especially badly at them. Does that count?

Don’t EVEN get me started on chuffing democracy…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair play. I’ve podiumed sxc on 5hrs a week, wondered what the extra 15 would do!

SamCooke
    Free Member

My 8yo daughter put many of us / you to shame this morning. She had tears in her eyes when she got up ‘because the Olympics is starting today and I’m going to see it, and I’m really excited and all my friends are excited, and lots of other people from all over the world are excited too, but it will be over in no time at all and then I’ll miss it’ For the next 2 weeks, forget about the corporate whoring and the water bottles and the cost and the politics, and look at it through an eight year old’s eyes. It starts tonight, in my town, I can’t wait any longer and I’m going to enjoy every last possible second of it that i can.

oh that’s really sweet. Is her name Pollyanna? Is yours?

molgrips
    Free Member

More is not necessarily better, Al 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Olympics – which side are you on?’ is closed to new replies.