Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Olympics + The Media
  • scuzz
    Free Member

So, I don’t know about you lot, but I’ve been a little happier the past couple of weeks, what with the Olympics and all. It seems like many people have been happier, too.

Which is strange, because I haven’t actually witnessed anything about the Olympics first hand – it’s all been piped to me via the meanstream media.

This made me think about how much control mainstream media currently has over our collective mindset, whether we like it or not.

On a day to day basis, I would like good news as well as bad news, please.
    Perhaps something along the lines of “Production of boots has increased by 30%! The chocolate ration will be cut by 4g”…

Anyone got any thoughts about this and the effect other news outlets (twitter etc) will have on this in the future?

*wanders off*

nealglover
    Free Member

This made me think about how much control mainstream media currently has over our collective mindset,

If that is your main link to the “outside world” then yes, it will have a lot of control over how you feel.

whether we like it or not.

Not sure about that, you can choose to ignore it if you want.

I rarely have a clue what going on in the world, I never watch the news, or read newspapers.

scuzz
    Free Member

I rarely have a clue what going on in the world, I never watch the news, or read newspapers.

Same here, actively. But passively, there are Metro headlines everywhere, news tickers on TVs in stations, conversations… when you’re surrounded by it everyday, it’s hard to passively ignore it – simply catching sight of sensationalist Metro headline when I’m a little bit too tired just makes me lose faith in humanity; not because of the news portrayed, but because everyone eats it up in droves.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yes it is all around you, but I don’t notice it really.

It’s not a conscious decision to ignore it, maybe it’s just that I’m not interested. I’m not sure really.

I listen to the radio all day, but I seem to tune out when the news is on, I just don’t hear it.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I just got told by my mother in law while we were watching some Olympics I was being too negative about it…….must watch more mainstream media.

But I know what you mean, there seems to have been a massive outpouring of collective cheeriness of late, but then they have been ramming it down peoples throat a bit……”be cheery, BE CHEERY!!!!!”

CountZero

Same here, actively. But passively, there are Metro headlines everywhere, news tickers on TVs in stations, conversations…

Not here in North Wiltshire they’re not.

maccruiskeen

On a day to day basis, I would like good news as well as bad news, please.

The public, broadly, has an insatiable appetite for bad news. Not proper bad news like famine in africa, but a general sense that ‘it just got worse’, whatever ‘it’ might be. In fact one of the redtops dedicated its whole front page the the headline “IT JUST GOT WORSE” a year or so ago. It doesn’t need to have gotten apocalyptically worse, not so you would have to take some form of action. ‘It’ just needs to have been seen to have gotten worse in a way that makes you tut and mutter about it how it used to be better.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

What we have seen is a mass brainwashing session by the BBC. I had the misfortune to have my dopey doe-eyed nieghbour’s TV booming out on sunday morning as I sat at the garden table rebuilding some pedals. I could hardly believe what I was hearing, especially when that w@nkspurt Cameron started milking it for all he was worth. What will the long term effects be of the jubilympics, apart from proving that the mas of people will cheer at anything, no matter how vacuuous the rartionale for doing so? I don’t know but I’ve found the last two months profoundly disturbing. I wonder how long it will be before the people who cheered the olympic flame will cheer when their neighbours are taken away to be ‘re-educated’…

tressa6420
    Free Member

@ohnohesback are you seriously that upset about it? Is this actually affecting your life in some way? Or do you just come on to complain mostly?

cloudnine
    Free Member

It will be a return to the deepest, darkest recession ever based news to cure all the cheeriness by the end of the week

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or do you just come on to complain mostly?

You’re new here, aren’t you?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What would David Icke have to say about media controlling the wider population I wonder?

CountZero

I expect ohnohesback is also very concerned about chemtrails, HAARP, and the Bilderburg Group as well.

scuzz
    Free Member

The public, broadly, has an insatiable appetite for bad news.

That’s Exactly It.
    I’m not going to suggest there’s some shady lizard somewhere controlling it all – no group of people is that organised – but this factor of society really grates on me. Does anyone know if they have tabloids in other cultures? Say, Japan or Papua New Guinea…?

footflaps

You do know you don’t have to spend your life watching TV…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Olympics + The Media’ is closed to new replies.