Olympics – Sunday trading

Home Forum Chat Forum Olympics – Sunday trading

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Olympics – Sunday trading
  • csb

So the Olympics has been used a the reason for allowing longer trading on Sundays during the summer because tourists mustn’t be denied the opportunity to enjoy our shops every day (the owners of Stratford Westfield have successfully lobbied the Govt to maximise profits.)

So the Govt want to relax restrictions that since 1994 have meant shop staff have enjoyed at least some weekend time with their family.

Shouldn’t our leaders be doing the opposite – closing all shops for at least a day so everyone has a chance to witness the event they’re paying through the nose to host? Be interesting to see if working full Sundays is optional for shop workers or whether shops are obliged to pay double time to staff.

b r

Be interesting to see if working full Sundays is optional for shop workers or whether shops are obliged to pay double time to staff.

You’ll find that most Sunday retail staff are part-timers, so mostly happy for the extra hours.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

There aren’t the same sunday hours restrictions in Scotland (if you don’t count the western isles) and it doesn’t seem to have caused a migration south to enjoy and 2hr shorter working week.

The sunday hours legislation only relates to bigger shops which tend to open longer hours and have to run shift systems anyway, so it just means a few more shifts will be available. As it stands big shops can already open for 6 hrs on sunday so the folk that are working on a sunday are working most of the day anyway, they might as well work a couple of hours longer and get paid for a full day.

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

Let’s hope it’s the thin edge of the wedge and proper Sunday trading is around the corner. Plenty of other people work weekends, I don’t see retail staff being any different. If people are that worried about it, it would make more sense to close for two days during the week.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

It’s not going to be a legal obligation to open longer, just an option! I imagine all the students will be glad of the option to earn more money!

I always forget about the backward opening hours on a Sunday and catch myself out for Sunday dinner. I think it’s a brilliant idea and I hope they introduce proper Sunday trading ASAP.

London is supposed to be a world city, and its office hours only approach to many services is not what one would expect of a world city.

Just good sense to relax it for the Olympics.

csb

I bet no-one above works in a shop. Haven’t done so for years, but weekend working was the main gripe me and my staff had about what was otherwise a pretty fulfilling job. The owners who decide to open and managers will no doubt be at home watching the 100 metres final.

Trouble is they’re low paid jobs, so the least mobile (and least able to complain) in society fill them. Full-time shop workers are often obliged to do at least 1 weekend day, and will probably be pressured to do both, with a day off in the week being poor compensation, family being at work or school.

Are we really that sad a society that we consider ourselves backward if we can’t access retail therapy 24/7?

bet no-one above works in a shop. Haven’t done so for years, but weekend working was the main gripe me and my staff had about what was otherwise a pretty fulfilling job. The owners who decide to open and managers will no doubt be at home watching the 100 metres final.

Trouble is they’re low paid jobs, so the least mobile (and least able to complain) in society fill them. Full-time shop workers are often obliged to do at least 1 weekend day, and will probably be pressured to do both, with a day off in the week being poor compensation, family being at work or school.

Are we really that sad a society that we consider ourselves backward if we can’t access retail therapy 24/7?

Don’t get a job in retail if you aren’t a fan of working weekends – simples.

I work in the Highway Electrical Industry – I don’t moan about working next to traffic. Sometimes my job involves working nights when the road closures dictate it – I don’t moan about this either.

As someone who worked shifts (weekends and overnights) for about 15 years I find it a complete pain now being a Mon to Fri person in terms of trying to get stuff and chores done. How do people manage? Give me a weekday off and a Saturday or Sunday at work everytime!

“make more sense to close for two days during the week”
    Yep. Just take your kids out of school for 2 days every working week of the year so you can get to spend some time with them – as your employer now makes you work all weekend and the present employment situation means you cant get another job very easily. That’ll work, no probs.

“Don’t get a job in retail if you aren’t a fan of working weekends – simples”
    Yep, just turn down the only job you have been offered in the last 4 months and loose all your benefits – that one works too.

A lot of people in this thread don’t seem to have noticed the national unemployment issue or the vast numbers of people loosing their jobs / terrified of loosing their jobs.

If people can’t manage to organise themselves go shopping within the hours already available I am surprised they can find their own front door without assistance.

saleem

I don’t know about the opening hours but the GF had a tour of the Olympic park on Friday and said it was fantastic.

Don’t get a job in retail if you aren’t a fan of working weekends – simples.

I work in the Highway Electrical Industry – I don’t moan about working next to traffic. Sometimes my job involves working nights when the road closures dictate it – I don’t moan about this either.

Surely don’t get a monday to saturday job if you’re not a fan of working when the shops are open ?

Get a job which allows you time to go shopping when the shops are open, instead of moaning. Simple really, I would have thought.

Most people can organise their lives in such a way so they aren’t restricted to only being able to shop on sundays. If they can’t, then they seriously need to sort themselves out. Instead of thinking everyone in retail owes them a favour.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

njee20 – Member

It’s not going to be a legal obligation to open longer, just an option!

Aye- but an option where the decisions will be made by lots of people who won’t be working sundays.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Apart from the supermarkets, who are emplying fewer and fewer folk anyway, there is little difference between Sunday opening hours in Scotland and England IME. Town centre shops open around 10:30 – 11 and stay open until 5, compared to a stricter 10-4 regime in Englandshire.
    Anyway, with unemployment at the level it is, you’d think that folk would want the extra hours 🙄

joao3v16

Yes.

You should see the state some people get into when CRC’s website can’t be accessed for a few minutes.

I think you’ve missed the point that this is a desperate move to try to offset the negative impact that the games will have on the UK economy.

konabunny

You’ll find that most Sunday retail staff are part-timers

IHN

Germany, which, the last time I checked, is pretty prosperous, seems to manage with everything being closed on a Sunday.

joao3v16

this is a desperate move to try to offset the negative impact that the games will have on the UK economy

Or, it’s an attempt to optimise the potential to generate income etc … or does that depend on whether you’re one of the Olympic Games ‘haters’?

For what it’s worth, my wife thinks the UK working population are pretty lazy with the 9-5 mentality still prevalent. She’s from Brazil where shops seem to be open all hours, and I’ve even seen shops re-open if they spot potential customers outside.

Trimix

Wont god be upset if we go shopping on Sunday ?

Will it not send some people to hell ?

Dibbs

I’ve worked shifts and staggered days in the electricity industry for the past 39 years, maybe we should shutdown on Sundays the same as the shops.
    The Sunday trading rules are a stupid outdated concept.

mcboo

Germany, which, the last time I checked, is pretty prosperous, seems to manage with everything being closed on a Sunday.

Closed on Saturday afternoons too. One of the worst things about living in Germany.

A lot of people in this thread don’t seem to have noticed the national unemployment issue or the vast numbers of people loosing their jobs / terrified of loosing their jobs.

Longer opening hours = more jobs.

Longer opening hours = more jobs.

Or another way of looking at it is, longer opening hours = less productivity for retailers.

Assuming that people won’t be buying extra stuff which they don’t need just because the shops are open for longer hours.

Personally I tend to restrict what I buy to what I actually need, not to what fits in with shop opening hours. I suspect most other people do the same.

And of course longer opening hours for large out of town retailers increases the probability of small, labour intensive, local retailers, who play a vital and fairly unique role, going out of business. Thereby decreasing employment in the retail industry.

Large shops over 280 square metres in England and Wales are allowed by law to be open for 150 hours per week. No one works 150 hours per week, so everyone should be able to organise their lives in such a way which allows them to shop when shops are open.

Shop workers in large retailers are among the lowest paid workers in Britain. There is no need, reason, or moral justification, to drag them out of bed early on Sunday mornings just because some lazy, disorganised, and selfish individuals, who arrogantly dismiss their well-being and quality of life with talk of “if they don’t like it then they should find other jobs” can’t get their act together.

If some people were less self-absorbed, self-centered, and self-serving, Britain would be a rather more pleasant place ❗

You do spout some shite ernie.

Based on that skewed logic; should shops be closed full stop on Sundays and while we are at it, shut Saturday too? They could still be open 130 hours and no-one works 130 hours a week, so perhaps we could all ensure no-one needs to shop at the weekends at all.

Also – in line with the flagrant dismissal of my quality of life , I sometimes buy stuff I don’t need at times when I don’t need to 😐

My wife used to work in retail, in a busy Peak District town and thus had to work many a Sunday and pretty much every Bank Holiday. She didn’t moan about it, quite the contrary – she accepted that as she didn’t want to carry on her chosen profession of hairdressing, her options were somewhat limited and whilst it was an inconvenience she got on with it. She now doesn’t have to, as she has her own business that’s she’s built up through her own hard work and determination.

I also have my own business, yet if my employer or customer wants me to be on site in London at 3am Sunday morning, then I’m there. I was on a job for 6 months last year working away from my home and family – the fastrack nature of the particular contract required that this was 6 days a week. Did I moan about it? No, I got on with it as I realised the importance of keeping my customer happy.

Oh and guess what – that also meant I’d sometimes go shopping on Sundays.

I couldn’t really care less if shops are open for another two hours on a Sunday, I just take issue with those moaning about it being allowed and with your own arrogance at how you think people should organise their lives.

I bet you think pubs should shut at 11pm, don’t you? Well, newsflash – some people like to stay out and get pissed till 3am.

You do spout some shite ernie.

I thought the same about you but was too polite to mention it.

It’s a funny ol’world aint it ?

tails

I wonder if they will get paid the same as the tube drivers!

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Closed on Saturday afternoons too. One of the worst things about living in Germany.

Its a long time since shops in Germany closed on Saturday afternoon.

Most small shops don’t normally open till 10am, close from 1-3 but stay open till 7 or 8pm through the week, thereby giving those working standard hours a chance to shop in the evening. There is a much stronger independent retail sector in Germany than the UK now.

I like the fact that Germany is shut on Sundays, and you certainly see far more family out for strolls and rides on a Sunday than in the UK.

pstokes99

the ‘announcement’ about relaxing the law during the olympics is very little to do with stimulating economic activity. More the fact that when all the enabling legislation went through for the olympics they forgot to add in the exemption for the sunday trading laws for the olympic venues.

once again the Govt using the economic climate to cover the real reason for doing something……

I thought the same about you but was too polite to mention it.

It’s a funny ol’world aint it ?

It sure is a funny ol’ world when someone spouts off calling people lazy, dis-organised, selfish, arrogant, self-absorbed, self-centred and self-serving because they have a different point of view to their own self-important arrogant stance – and then tries to pretend they were too polite to be blunt and direct.

S’ok though, you didn’t personally address me with all that vitriol did you ernie?

you didn’t personally address me with all that vitriol did you ernie?

No not really. Why ? Do you think you fit the bill then ?

Personally my opinion is that it would be very convenient if all shops were open at 8 o’clock on Sunday mornings and shut at about 6pm. In fact, I would quite like it if every shop I ever went to was always open and never shut. I find it most disappointing when I see the “closed” sign.

But I realise that this isn’t just about “me” ……….shop workers are also entitled to have a life.

You see, I sometimes feel this thing called “empathy” towards my fellow human beings.

So I’ve learnt to live with the inconvenience of shops, which I want to shop in, sometimes being shut when I want to use them.

How do you feel about it TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR ? Do you sometimes feel this empathy ?

Kevevs

bring it on. I do a shitty 0930 1630 shift for 6.50 an hr may as well work more hours. If I’m gonna work a sunday make it a whole days work not some weak 7 hr shift.

“shops are obliged to pay double time to staff.” hahaha my splitting sides!

Surely the traditional paradigm has to come to an end for the retail sector at some point though. I tried to go shopping at my local retail centre at (gasp!) 17:30 on Wednesday and half the shops were shut. So I bought online instead.

0930 1630 shift for 6.50 an hr

So £13 an hour on sundays then. I wouldn’t get out of bed for £13 an hour on a weekday, and I suspect TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR wouldn’t either.

Hence my reluctance to begrudge shop workers getting a lie-in on sunday mornings and having breakfast with their families, before setting off to serve Joe Public. Including grumpy self-absorbed demanding herberts.

If shop workers working for large retailers were earning £20-25 an hour, then I might feel being a tad more demanding could possibly be justified.

BTW :

“It’s a matter for you and your employer as to whether you are paid more for working on a Sunday. There are no statutory rights in this area, so it depends on your contract.”

Something which should clearly be addressed imo.

EDIT : I’ve just realised Kevevs that you probably weren’t claiming to earn double time for sundays – you were quoting someone ? ….you didn’t put it in a proper quote box !

Please don’t tell me you only get £6.50 an hour sundays 😐

@ernie perhaps those “grumpy self-absorbed demanding herberts” worked all week saving lives as firefighters, nurses, paramedics and doctors, and the only spare time they have is on a Sunday evening?

@randomjeremy – read my post. I think I pretty much cover that issue with :

“Large shops over 280 square metres in England and Wales are allowed by law to be open for 150 hours per week. No one works 150 hours per week, so everyone should be able to organise their lives in such a way which allows them to shop when shops are open.”

Unless of course firefighters, nurses, paramedics and doctors are all starving at the moment, because Tesco is shut on Sunday evenings.

🙄 *add to ignore list*

ste_t

Ernie – what era do you live in? Sundays aren’t ‘unsociable hours’ any more so anything retail/hospitality based which the likes of me and kevevs do is just paid the normal hourly rate. Infact, in my trade it is expected that you work bank holidays (for normal pay,) as they are peak trading times – when those that work 9-5 are off, they want filling with food/beverages.

Only good would come of longer opening hours on a Sunday even if it is only a couple of hours. Any opportunity for people to be paid more whilst people are spending more is welcome.

Ernie – what era do you live in?

The 21st century. And here in the 21st century people enjoy a lie in on sundays, time with the their families, or leisure activities such as riding a bike. I don’t fancy getting in a time machine and being transported into your era where people are crying out to work on sundays.

randomjeremy – Member

*add to ignore list*

Well thank **** for that ….. I hope you won’t mind if I remind you should you ever forget.

Now perhaps I won’t feel the need to waste my time dealing with ridiculous and absurd comments directed at me, suggesting that firefighters, nurses, paramedics and doctors can only find time to go shopping on sunday evenings (I’ve yet to meet a firefighter who didn’t have more spare time than they knew what to do with).

IHN

I like the fact that Germany is shut on Sundays, and you certainly see far more family out for strolls and rides on a Sunday than in the UK

That was certainly my impression when travelling through there in the summer and visiting my sister and the GF’s sister who both live there.

They use Sunday as the day of not exactly rest, but certainly recuperation; a day to do stuff with family and friends. They manage without the ability to wander aimlessy around Comet/B&Q/Homebase/Ikea for a day.

I like it.

b r

No, all that happens is that those shops that are allowed to be open sell a greater range – ie garages.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Olympics – Sunday trading’ is closed to new replies.