• This topic has 514 replies, 144 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hels.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 515 total)
  • Olympic Road Race Thread
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

Anyone know the expected finish time

about 3:30 I think

Zoolander
    Free Member

unklehomered – Member
    NZ have a rider called Jack Bauer. That’s my pleasing fact for the day.

POSTED 17 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

🙂 awesome!

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

quality chase group with Gilb , Fugslang , Rast, Chavanel , Phinney

leffeboy

Cav wasn’t looking happy with the pace 🙁

hilldodger
    Free Member

Team GB certainly putting the hammer down now….

16stonepig
    Free Member

Cav wasn’t looking happy with the pace

Possibly not, but I think it’s a good plan to get the break back while it’s still a little techy, so they can keep tabs on any more breaks. That way there’s another 80km on the flat which will be much easier to manage, and will give them a bit of a rest before the finish.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Cav wasn’t looking happy with the pace

may not be happy but I reckon team GB know just how fast they can push and keep Cav in it…

leffeboy

I’m sure. It’s very impressive how they don’t get drawn by the attacks – they just sit cranking it out. Nerve wracking though

edit: but it appears to be working. Times are coming down and everyone is getting closer

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Cav has said it before, he will turn himself insdie out to give himself a chance.gets a new lease of life in last 10k’s.

Lets not forget the run in for the last 50k is flat.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Porter did well to spot Martins strapped WRIST and point it was his broken SCAPULA. What a plum sack

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s starting to warm up again….

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is in the bag now I cannot see anyone out sprinting the missile he says crossing fingers

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Its gonna explode soon ……..

cynic-al
    Free Member

anyone else struggling to get on with stuff they really should be doing?

leffeboy

not even attempting to

donsimon
    Free Member

Its gonna explode soon ……..

Give me a nudge when it does, I’d hate to miss it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

anyone else struggling to get on with stuff they really should be doing?

You man like eating some cheese, drinking some wine and, erm, watching some cycling?

No, not struggling at all! 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Am I the only one who finds this totally incomprehensible?

I’m sure it’s very simple, but road racing makes no sense at all to me. I want to be excited, I just don’t really get it…

16stonepig
    Free Member

If this is the first time you’ve watched road racing, then no, this is not a good introduction, what with the lack of timings, rider info, cohesive commentary etc.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s very simple, but road racing makes no sense at all to me. I want to be excited, I just don’t really get it…

What bits don’t you understand?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

makes pefrfect sense (if you’re into road racing) 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

TDF much easier to follow.

CFH 😀 MASH?

mboy
    Free Member

Bloody awesome stuff team GB bringing the gap back down like they have whilst still on Box Hill!

Riveting!

16stonepig
    Free Member

Essentially, what you need to know is that GB want everyone to get to the Mall at the same time, so that they can finish in a bunch sprint, which Cav has the best chance of winning. Other teams know this, and have tried to get away from the main bunch (peleton) and keep a lead all the way back.

But that is very hard to do, as it is much easier to ride in a bunch of 60 riders than a bunch of twenty, especially when a lot of those twenty have used up energy on acceleration and lone rides trying to get away.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

What bits don’t you understand?

Just don’t really get how teams are working together/ where the various members fit in and how/ why individual/ group breakaways work – who decides when to go for it, and to what end?

I should probably have paid a bit more attention to Le Tour…

donsimon
    Free Member

Does anyone have any info on the surface? The climb looks like it has a new surface but the decent looks a bit bumpy. Seems a bit odd to me. It would be good if the commentry team could mention it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MASH?

Go and sit in the corner and think about what you have just asked.

Junkyard
    Free Member

OK simply
    1. If it goes to a sprint cav will win..GB and possibly germany are trying to make this happen
    2. Others are not and are trying to disrupt the train [ GB at the front] by attacking

that is it pretty much…no one will go flat out this far out as there is a massive drafting [ riding in a group] advantage, perhaps as much as a 1/3 less effort?
    unless you are awesome and full of courage 😉

It would be good if the commentry team could mention it.

yes just like F1 never mention tyres

Spin
    Free Member

Right enough of this I’m off to Eurosport.

project
    Free Member

Its jumping more than a kangarooooo on a hot tin roof, with no explenation of who each rider is, and where has Peter Saagan and Cav and Brad gone.

It would be nice to have locations of where the race is at, along with no channel jumping on BBC, red button, 301, 7 and bbc1.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

16stonepig – that pretty much explains what I needed to know – cheers!

It’s strangely compelling to watch isn’t it?

rOcKeTdOg

has anyone seen spartacus yet today?

16stonepig
    Free Member

Is this futile Gilbert break just a desperate ploy to get GB to panic and wear themselves out?

16stonepig
    Free Member

It’s strangely compelling to watch isn’t it?

Quite. Never done any road riding in my life, but happened on the Tour while in France about 5 years ago and have been hooked ever since. There’s tension, intrigue, excitement, and the knowledge that these guys are properly nails.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Does anyone have any info on the surface? The climb looks like it has a new surface but the decent looks a bit bumpy. Seems a bit odd to me. It would be good if the commentry team could mention it.

This is correct, the climb has been resurfaced, the descent not. Though they have removed the speed bumps though. The commentary time have mentioned this to be fair to them.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How are they going to handle the dizzying slopes of the South face of the Col du Putney?

16stonepig
    Free Member

Hang on! Did I just see “LANCE” painted on the road?

Junkyard
    Free Member

they fitted triples 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

The commentary time have mentioned this to be fair to them.

Thanks garrrrpirate, I must have missed the first 8 mentions…
    All change to BBC1! 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Olympic Road Race Thread’ is closed to new replies.