Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Olympic Road Race Access – Dorking
  • Napalm
    Free Member

Hi, I was thinking of driving from Brighton up the A24 (past the Red Chilli restaurant) and turning left into Dorking town centre at the roundabout at the bottom of Dorking. Hoping to park in a residential area or a Dorking car park.
    Does anyone know if I’ll be able to get that close or am I better off ditching the car at Capel and cycling in from there?
    Or are there better options (that avoid trains).
    Thanks

xcgb
    Free Member

You wont be able to park in Dorking from 4am, cycle in from Capel (or somewhere nearer) would be my bet, but roads are closed to all traffic on the route

Napalm
    Free Member

Thanks for your update xcgb.

mattjg
    Free Member

http://www.molevalley.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=13499

There’s parking at the Priory School for 20 quid a pop, it’s well signposted. Access is from just off the Horsham Road/Coldharbour Lane. So road access to it is open I would guess.

This is at the end of a housing estate with a single access road, I suggest you get there early and expect to wait a long time to leave, there could well be total gridlock. Even at normal school times it gets pretty snarled up. It seems daft to me but there you go.

@26s: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca-HZ7qiR0I[/video]

Green

Here’s a map that shows the recommended cycle access –

Box Hill PDF

The race route is going to be closed from 4am, but I believe you can still cycle alomg the London Rd just north of Dorking.

Napalm
    Free Member

Thanks again for your replies.

ribb
    Free Member

I dont know the area at all so my son and I will be driving towards boxhill then dump the car as near as we can get and ride the rest of the way. I am hoping I can get somewhere on the boxhill section without much trouble. Any ideas of somewhere close enough where I can dump the car ?

Sui
    Free Member

ribb – Member
    I dont know the area at all so my son and I will be driving towards boxhill then dump the car as near as we can get and ride the rest of the way. I am hoping I can get somewhere on the boxhill section without much trouble. Any ideas of somewhere close enough where I can dump the car ?

good luck, even the locl schools in Ashtead are expecting capacity in their carparks for this – try and get the train it will be the best way otheriwse you will end up having to park very far away!

although was pleasantly surprised that China Pig is still open 🙂

ribb
    Free Member

Got me worried now ;O)
    I’m game for leaving as early as possible. I am thinking of getting somewhere close well for before 9am. Trains involve 4 changes and will take forever.

jim76
    Free Member

There are around 70’000 train passengers expected into Boxhill & Westhumble station. 6 carriage train takes around 800 people. Good luck if you are getting the train..

I would park outside of Dorking and cycle – that gives you the option of re-positioning if you want to. Dorking is a complete nightmare on a normal day, the road system can’t cope with the volume of traffic. It will be crazy to try and drive anywhere near the place Tommorow.

Could always watch it from home – see the whole race that way 🙂

tonyg2003

All the car parks in the middle of Leatherhead are closed too.

We when down China pig yesterday too – great now it’s dryer. An excellent subverting of the Olymipic security 😀

Sui
    Free Member

ooh didn’t realise it was that many people… In that case go and park in Polsden Lacey and ride down (or walk about 50 mins).

crazy-legs
    scottishbadger
    Free Member

It looks like Southern will be putting on extra services from Victoria to Westhumble (as you would expect) – they have trains running every fifteen minutes from around 05.30 on Saturday morning.

Cheezpleez

You can park on my drive for £100/day. 😆 You’ll probably need to arrive early this evening and stay till Monday or Tuesday, though.

With the crowds outside my front door creating the atmospere, I reckon the best view will be on the telly. I’ll save you a seat on the sofa.

sputnik
    Free Member

Ribb, how old is your son? Myself and mates leaving from the Ashtead Peace Memorial car park at 8 am and cycling to box hill by road. You can come along but we don’t want to be held up by young kids. My son is coming along , he is 12 but a strong cyclist .

sputnik
    Free Member

The APMH car park has a long stay are that is less than a rennet for the day.

Sui
    Free Member

tis when i am leaving the village too. the yokals are not going to be happy about people parking in the carpark and not shopping 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d seriously think about watching it on the tellybox rather than travelling any distance and dealing with the logistics/crowds. Unless you’re on the Box Hill loop, the experience will be a few seconds. If you are on the loop, it might add up to a minute or 2!

I know the area well, if the predictions are correct the place will be in gridlock. With all the hills there are only so many lanes and routes available.

mattjg
    Free Member

Or you can park on my driveway (and use Cheez’s sofa) for £95.

xcgb
    Free Member

My village are going to our pub as its open at 9!

mattjg
    Free Member

Use it or lose it.

Taff
    Free Member

Was thinking about cycling to Gomshall/Westcott to have a look. Don’t know whether to risk it or not just to watch them speed past once

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nirvana Cycles in Westcott will give you free tea and cake (or 20% off a bike !) plus there is a new van service based in the converted pub offering free pies.

I expect the route will be crowded even along the A25 when they go past once but it will be a grand day out, party atmosphere, take a picnic, watch them fly past once then retreat to a pub to watch the finish on TV. All that and riding your bike a bit, what’s not to like ? Cheer on our World Champion and our TdF winner, you can say you were there ..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How are you getting to NC Jambalaya? Quick blast down Summer Lightening?

I am intrigued to see the field come around the hairpin on Coombe Lane!!

mattjg
    Free Member

I am intrigued to see the field come around the hairpin on Coombe Lane!!

Yeah, likewise Headley corkscrew hill. How many riders?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Are you going to NV mattjg? I understand you are one of their regulars.

mdb
    Free Member

I’m taking my two boys tomorrow from Brighton to Dorking Deepdene (change at Gatwick) by train. National Rail reckon it will take about 1hr 15mins (£20) so lets hope they’re right and we dont miss the race because we’re sitting on a train!

Allez Cav!

mattjg
    Free Member

What’s NV? (Is that a no?)

mattjg
    Free Member

For anyone thinking of taking one of the 500 parking spaces at Priory School, I can reassure you that they have installed a couple of Portaloos.

jambalaya
    Free Member

All credit to those who’ve prepped the route, lots of union jacks, appropriate yellow road painting and two “Welcome to Gomshall Team GBR” banners !

zippykona

Check out Denbies think they are offering secure cycle parking.

matt23
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m based at Denbies Wine Estate this weekend working on the Powerbar stand……..loads of space, small mtb pump track with DMR bikes, trek, cannondale, sillier, SRAM, schwable, Raphael, continental are doing a small expo there sat n sun…..dunno how busy it’s going to be But got a massive tv screen to watch the whole race to.

Pop along spend the day, buy sum powerbar and the wines are nice to 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

For anyone thinking of taking one of the 500 parking spaces at Priory School, I can reassure you that they have installed a couple of Portaloos.

And an ice cream van. Phew.

It’s a bit surreal sitting on my terrace with a coffee and no A25 road noise.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Olympic Road Race Access – Dorking’ is closed to new replies.