Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Olympic downhill course.,.
  • Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Kiddies? I love the way you are trying to separate yourself from everyone else.

We all have different things we love, some love dh some Xc, some 4x, enduro. And some hate racing of any type. It’s all cycling and its all good, any coverage is better than none and I’m sure it’ll look good in the end. It’s just if your a real mtber you’ll know it could be better.
    (Just one note, please don’t say “it’s the London games” it makes you sound simple and media led, why is the sailing in Weymouth? It could be in the mouth of the Thames? Oh yeah it would be rubbish ).

njee20
    Free Member

(Just one note, please don’t say “it’s the London games” it makes you sound simple and media led, why is the sailing in Weymouth? It could be in the mouth of the Thames? Oh yeah it would be rubbish ).

Huh? It is the London Olympics. The sailing argument is daft, Weymouth was chosen as the best practical venue. The Thames is an absurd suggestion, I imagine some folk are wondering why the MTB isn’t just round Hyde Park. The football regional stadia are only for the early stage games, all the medal winning games are in London.

The shooting wasnt at Bisley in part due to transport issues. The shooting is a real problem because of high security. The proposed accommodation was at Royal Holloway Uni, it was causing a real logistical issue to get the athletes there without buggering the transport infrastructure of the South East even further!

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lifer
    Free Member

Top 10 in the DH yesterday had me on the edge of my seat, still can’t believe how fast Gwin came through that middle section! I love it, probably missed 3 rounds of the past few seasons and FWIW I don’t mind Warner’s commentary, yeah it’s dumb sometimes but he knows what he’s talking about.

mrmo
    Free Member

Ski Sunday has been a massive part of the BBC schedule for about 30years. It’s not a race but a time trial but the BBC must get a lot of viewers otherwise why bother. So apart from the camera numbers issue how different is it from DH?

But haven’t they completely redone the format, less focus on racing and a bit more on “lifestyle”? Suggests the format wasn’t that successful anymore. and the fact it was on BBC2 not BBC1 adds a bit more weight to that feeling.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Weak, very weak.

bwaarp
    Free Member

and what did dirt, a DH biased mag, have to say about an XC race course, and out of curiosity given there target readership why should we care what their opinion is?

As opposed to XC riders who are usually washed out roadies that think a cobble in the road is technical.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

The troll that is fairhurst must be thrilled about how successful this attempt is.

druidh
    Free Member

cows_in_cars – Member
    > druidh – Member
    > Remember kiddies, if it’s any sort of “time trial” it’s not a
    > real race.

What?!!?!
    Like the race of truth?[quote]Hopk1ns – Member
    Kiddies? I love the way you are trying to separate yourself from everyone else.[/quote]Sorry. It was a bit of an in-joke aimed at the “serious” road racer types on here who believe that it can’t be a ace unless you are all travelling on the same route at the same time.

deadkenny
    Free Member

fairhurst – Member
    i thought the Olympic course was downhill? it certainly looks the part

Far from it. XC course with some rock gardens. The obstacles are reasonable, but they are in the minority of the course and there’s every bet some will be getting off and running or taking the chicken lines. Don’t blame them, it’s Olympic XC, not DH.

njee20 – Member
    Huh? It is the London Olympics. The sailing argument is daft, Weymouth was chosen as the best practical venue. The Thames is an absurd suggestion

Best practical venue for MTB would be Wales then by that argument. Sailing on the Thames – not the river, the estuary. Loads of good sailing going on there as I understand it. Essex too. They like Essex 😉

The shooting wasnt at Bisley in part due to transport issues

Just off the M3, should have been dead easy. Likewise with Swinley, which is also even used to handling big events, including big film crews, has bucket loads of access for big trucks. Not driving – Trains to Woking for Bisley or Bracknell for Swinley with buses put on. Easier access than a field in Essex.

mrmo – Member
    DH, dangerous and exciting? sorry i find DH incredibly dull, there might be a bit of danger granted, but it isn’t very fast, certainly not ski speeds.

Maybe not quite ski speeds, but not very fast? Hmm, sure.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/216007/

By comparison, Olympic MTB, full course I believe. Yes there are rocks and technical bits. Accounts for about 30seconds out of 16 minutes.
    http://youtu.be/9hFqldLCfXU

Lifer
    Free Member

http://live.redbull.tv/events/56/uci-valdisole-dhi/

Footage from Saturday’s DH World Cup, Top 5 men start about 1hr 40.

atlaz
    Free Member

Likewise with Swinley, which is also even used to handling big events

Now just imagine how many people would have moaned if Swinley (or somewhere in Wales) had a great big XC course plonked down in it for the Olympics but weren’t allowed access to that area for 6+ months before the Olympics.

Olympic XC courses have certain requirements. All the blah blah by the people who don’t like that sort of riding (and the similar blah blah from the DH haters) is irrelevant. People who ride it say it’s pretty good, people who don’t want to ride it after the Olympics don’t have to.

Not entirely sure where all the stress is coming from.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have to say what I have seen of the XC course it looks very good indeed. some real techy bits with alternative lines, good visibility for spectators, looks like it should make for a good race

ampthill

Having just watched the video from the link above I think the course looks good. I was a sceptic when they anounced the venue. Certainly looks like being on a par with other world cup courses

hugor
    Free Member

I’d love a crack at the olympic course after the event. It would really put into perspective how skilled and fit these elite riders are. I think alot of those technical features would look horrible from the top of the bars.

As much as I love Wales trail riding I agree that filming in tight dense forests probably would not make great TV viewing or provide enough passing opportunities.

njee20
    Free Member

DK you miss the point entirely! Wales would have been crap. You want a course of 15 minutes at most, so a plod up a hill, turn around, come back down. It would be boring, give bad racing and look rubbish on tv. That’s based on what’s good to ride, which isn’t what’s good to race.

Swinley was an initial option, but there’s no access for all the media, and again all the trees etc mean it’ll look largely rubbish.

Bisley wasn’t going to practically work. I was involved in the planning, “just off the M3” isn’t enough. You need primary and secondary Olympic Route Network access – roads from the accommodation (Egham) to the venue that are closed to everyone bar the ‘Olympic Family’. Look at the ramifications of that for the wider network.

There is a lot of planning in organising the Olympics, it’s not just a big party, I find it odd people are surprised by this and think they know better!

deadkenny
    Free Member

atlaz – Member
    Now just imagine how many people would have moaned if Swinley (or somewhere in Wales) had a great big XC course plonked down in it for the Olympics but weren’t allowed access to that area for 6+ months before the Olympics.

True. There’s enough moaning about Swinley as it is. Sure I’d be amongst them moaning, but then again Swinley gets boring and could skip it for 6 months. In fact boring would make it great for the Olympics 😛

Not entirely sure where all the stress is coming from.

It’s STW, that’s what we expect 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Olympic downhill course.,.’ is closed to new replies.