Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • olympic cycling anyone?
  • swiss01
    Free Member

so i’m looking at the guardian and see the ticket prices are out. £45 to watch the xc – sure ly they’re having a giraffe? but no, this appears to be good value. after a bit of searching about (i didn’t really expect the website to be organised) i find i can, i think, watch the roadies whizz by for nowt but if i want to go to the victory ceremony it’ll cost me 60 quid!

but that is as nothing compared to the track cycling. now i;d love to go to that, the venue looks great but…
    http://media.ticketmaster.com/en-gb/img/sys/tournament/london2012/oly-cyclingtrack.pdf
    that’s going to hurt!

midlifecrashes

That’s not cheap. How does it compare to a big meeting at Manchester velodrome?

CaptJon
    Free Member

I think for £325 a ticket Victoria will feed you strawberries by hand.

crazy-legs

£20/ticket for a day at Manchester velodrome for the Track World Cup this weekend.
    But then again at the Olympics you’re in a brand new venue for the biggest sporting event in the world which probably won’t be in the UK again in your lifetime.

meehaja
    Free Member

I fancy it, but 3 days at the olympics for me, wife and little ‘un will cost the same as a week somewhere hot and nice.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’ll have the strawberries, then.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’ll be watching on TV not wasting money on that despite it being a “once in a lifetime” what to be ripped off!!?

andytherocketeer

If I’m in the area, I’ll go watch the road biking, probably somewhere near Box Hill, since that way you get to seen 9 laps rather than 1 pass by. Must be free to watch there?
    Course is up online in various places.

edit: seen pro 1-day classic go thru my village, and seen TdF go past on the main road about 3 miles away, so I know what to expect from a road stage. Much better VFM if there’s multiple laps to see.

kimbers

wait a minute is that 325 per race?

molgrips
    Free Member

I would love to see the XC MTBing to be honest. I mean it’s a crap spectator sport in reality, but I feel like I really should be there. I love the Olympics 🙂

Ditto the track cycling.

swiss01
    Free Member

i’ve managed to get my oh sufficiently up for track cycling that she’s quite into it, but not if i’m shelling out that amount. the next time round at manchester i think.

such are my persuasive powers that i’ve managed to pique her curiosity re the archery (i did shoot for quite a while, it’s not just an interest in posh darts, honest). don’t worry i said, it’ll be like greece, you’ll just be able to wander in. hardly anyone watches the archery. and i fear at £65 a go hardly anyone will…

thebunk

You’re quoting the most expensive prices – both events have tickets for 20 quid too – admittedly still not cheap, but they’ll probably sell out anyway.

swiss01
    Free Member

if i’m going for the ‘once in a lifetime’ bunk i’d rather not go in the cheap seats. and to be honest, the cheap seats shouldn’t be for the likes of me but for my oh’s pensioner mum and her mates who live in that there london town and will have to/ and have had to put up with all the shenanigans associated with it but have pretty much been priced out of actually attending. wait a minute tho, that’s maybe what my oh meant when she said ‘all of us’ can go. oh dear….

and for those who might suggest the road race as something free she might like to attend (which she would – young men in lycra well tweeks her geriatric twinky)i direct you to any stw types with an elderly relative who’s ever asked the question ‘where’s the nearest toilet?’

tiggs121
    Free Member

£325 for 2.5 hours? They are having a laugh!

I suppose they will have try and recoup some of the expense. Still not sure why countries bid for the chance to incur huge debts. Bit like the football owners I suppose – ego trip but unlike the football chaps – at our expense.

thebunk

I didn’t realise you were trying to complain about the price and get the most expensive tickets!

I’m waiting to see what the difference gets you – I assume for XC you can go and stand where you want on whatever ticket you have, or get a seat in a slightly less good grandstand, but if you pay extra you might get a seat on the finish line, or be able to walk around the pits or something.

I dunno, 20 quid sounds OK to me to wonder around and soak up the Olympic atmosphere – if they thought they wouldn’t sell out they’d cost less. Also there will be special prices for kids and “Seniors” though no idea what that means.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘olympic cycling anyone?’ is closed to new replies.