Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Olympic Commentary Nonsense Thread
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

What are your favourites so far?

Sailing team just told me that of all the competitors in this race – “all of them are here”.

My fave so far remains that the womens race was “Encrusted with enthralling action.”

Pook

Claire balding blithering about what what she listens to on radio 4 and Matt baker, of the Chinese gymnasts last night; “i can wave at them, go on, wave, yeah!!” were two that caught my ear….

philconsequence
    Free Member

commentry people talking to a swimming coach during the… well, swimming. “you’ve seen a lot of 12 year olds in your time”

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Nothing compared to the commentary on NBC…

During the road race stage they were bollocking on about the ‘chateaus’ that dotted the Surrey countryside.

The opening ceremony had too many to mention, but one highlight during the parade of nations was when Madagascar came out ‘Madagascar, recently made famous by an animated movie’.

Just incredible.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not to let the Ozzies away with it..
    on the 4xsomthing swimming relay
    “Queensland have supplied at least 75% maybe 80% percent of the team”

richmtb

Still think the commentator giving Andrie Greipel 4th in the men’s road race after 24 riders had crossed the line was pretty good

RealMan
    Free Member

Hugh Porter saying anything.

chomp
    Free Member

anything that came out of Trevor **** Nelson’s gob during the opening ceremony was cringeworthy

he totally didn’t have a clue

at one point I think he asked the other commentators if they had a 3D tv, and if they thought it was worth buying one!

Coyote
    Free Member

Agreed on Trevor Nelson. Why did he get the gig? He is a talent void as far as I can see.

phiiiiil

I chortled slightly at the equestrian cross country; several times a horse was described as being “full of running!”.

beanum

Daily Mash – BBC to launch Trevor Nelson button

Following Nelson’s stint saying whatever came into his head during the Olympics opening ceremony, viewers will soon be able to hear the DJ describing the images drifting across his frontal lobe as an accompaniment to any BBC output.

The 48-year-old iPod shuffle, awarded the MBE in 2007 for services to bigging up Britain’s posses, will become a permanent resident of the BBC TV Centre, where he will be intravenously fed a diet of liquidised Monster Munch and value brand orangeade to keep his commentary suitably disjointed and excitable.

robbo
    Free Member

I liked Jonathon Edwards talking to David Florence in the canoing…
    ‘It’s a bit rough out there…’

jam-bo

i caught a snippet of the womens powerlifting.

“if only she’d hit that snatch harder…”

unklehomered
    Free Member

“if only she’d hit that snatch harder…”

you owe me a keyboard and cup of coffee for posting that…

craigf
    Free Member

was anyone else amused by the greek swimmer in the individual medley last night called Dryminakos?

steve-g
    Free Member

So far my highlights were in the swimming where a chinese guy called Sun was going for the WR and the commentator was repeatedly shouting “GO ON SUN”…….and I think yesterday while Phelps mum was cheering him on, one of the commentators said to the other one (ex swimmer) “your mum used to scream”

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

while Phelps mum was cheering him on, one of the commentators said to the other one (ex swimmer) “your mum used to scream”

ocrider

Every time the sailing commentators mention Robert Scheidt, the child in me is bursting with laughter. I’ll never tire of that one.

nickf
    Free Member

“We’re going to see fireworks in this swimming pool tonight!”

After all that, it turned out that the race was a bit of a damp squib………

unklehomered
    Free Member

I think Ben Aimsley [sp?] may be cheating, I earlier heard “And I think Ben’s really going to put the pedal down now”.

butterworth24
    Free Member

“Watch out though, because Hannah’s a good strong breast stroker” and “The Chinese are coming in the pool” are the two I’ve sniggered at while the swimming has been on 😛

konabunny
    Free Member

During the road race stage they were bollocking on about the ‘chateaus’ that dotted the Surrey countryside.

A bit pretentious, sure, but would chateaux really be wrong?

teamslug
    Free Member

On 5 live day after opening ceremony they interviewed one of the kids who lit the ‘cauldron’ for whom….” once in a lifetime opportunities don’t come along too often”

bikebouy
    Free Member

“is dissapointed we haven’t heard “a suitcase full of courage” yet”

midlifecrashes

Just had: “There should be a ruling on how many ponytails you can have in a team, particularly if they’re fair haired!”

Women’s hockey, a MOTD commentator, maybe Motty. Maybe that’s why they have names and numbers on their backs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, that was Davies. Not an MotD commentator.

choron
    Free Member

Gary Lineker asking Lizzie Armitstead if she would be “helping” Emma Pooley in the TT.

Not knowing the finer points of strategy is understandable, but the basic concepts of the sport?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Oh jeez that’s not a colemanball, that’s just plain ignorant. Shame on you Gary. How much is he paid?

I think we should compile a detailed list and see if we can get a Tory MP to complain about it. See if the Daily Wail will comment on it. They love slagging the Beeb.

kennyp
    Free Member

“That was unbelievable” is the one that bugs me. You, and millions of viewers, have just watched it happen. In fact you’ve probably seen the action replays too. In my book that makes it very “believable”.

joat

I may be making some of the words up here, but during the rowing I,m sure someone said “She’s rubbing the boat with the palm of her hand”.
    If I’d known there’d be a thread like this I’d have written it down..

numplumz
    Free Member

Another Porterism, when he stated that That two of the best women cyclists in the world were “punching above their weight”

numplumz
    Free Member

Hugh’s doing the mountainbike commentary too, god help us.

igrf
    Free Member

There’s some knob in the sailing commentating about ‘playing the joker’ he’s referring to sailing’s discard system.

Then one of them went into detail telling us what ‘toe straps’ were for.

It’s so dumbed down in the vain hope folk who don’t know about sailing are actually watching which of course they wouldn’t be and nothing of any value is imparted to those of us who do and are interested. Pathetic .

Mister-P
    Free Member

Has Balding been cloned? She seems to be presenting everything. Or perhaps I have just been unlucky enough to catch her whenever I pass a TV.

veedubba

“Nicolai sporting a fantastic Latin beard” just now in the volleyball.

unklehomered
    Free Member

“he’s got wings on his wheels has Bradley Wiggins.”

Blackhound

Rachel Burden on R5L – ‘I’d like to spend an hour on the coach with Steve Peters’ [the cycling team psychiatrist]

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“And it’s Meares in the lead!”

Err, Pendleton took the lead last lap and Meares, wearing yellow, is in 5th.

Good old Hugh Porter.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Any Ozzie commentator wont give in until their athlete has lost, they have a chance even if they are in last right up to the end. Also unfortunately the programming is being done by a hyperactive 5yo, we keep swapping sports every 2 mins (thankfully to watch brit medals in the cycling and rowing mostly)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Laughed at Mark Foster in the pool talking about Adlington saying “she’s a lovely soft girl but get her wet and she’s a real fighter” 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Olympic Commentary Nonsense Thread’ is closed to new replies.