Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Olympic BMX – gears!?!
  • Premier Icon oldnick

Even our club track has timing from the start to the bottom of the start ramp, those few metres are that important, which is why everyone compromises the gearing for the rest of the track to get their elbows ahead at the start.
    So a tiny gearing advantage at the start followed by a tiny gearing advantage for the rest of the track makes a lot of sense, if it doesn’t break 🙂

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

But it is interesting that a tiny (or huge, depending on your view of 1 cogsworth) gearing advantage can’t apparently be made less tiny by shifting 2 cogs.

Premier Icon kayla1

The UCI rule says “Multiple speed gear systems are permitted” in the BMX bit. There’s no advantage to being able to shift back down, cos the tracks run slightly downhill and I suppose there’s no need to have more than two gears because the races are over in 30s or so and they’re in the air or pumping through sections for a lot of that time.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

@kayla1 sorry mate when I wrote “cog” I meant “tooth”, ie one change, but a bigger one.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

But it is interesting that a tiny (or huge, depending on your view of 1 cogsworth) gearing advantage can’t apparently be made less tiny by shifting 2 cogs.

I remain to be convinced that a gear change is going to offer anything as gearing is relatively low already and you get up to top speed of the gearing very quickly/very few metres when starting down a hill. After that it is just brief spins to maintain speed rather than looking to increase speed on the flat.
    I would probably like to test it anyway but my BMX race days were 35 years ago!

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

as gearing is relatively low already

but maybe that is because there is only one so it is a compromise gear? Does “relatively low” imply that the optimum gear for during-the-race would be higher?

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Van Gendt got a 1st, 2nd, 2nd in the quarter final heats beaten by his Dutch team mate. Too early for a verdict as they would have won anyway. Have to see how they get on in the finals tomorrow.

As he was world champion in 2019 and had a 5th and 9th at previous Olympics it will be impossible to know what part the gears are playing as he is a realistic contender for Gold already.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

The verdict is in, Van Gendt didn’t make the final. Maybe he will try 3 or 4 gears next…

Fantastic result for GB though

Premier Icon nedrapier

Yes! Really nice to see Pajon mugging and grinning behind Shriever’s interview, too!

Premier Icon DenDennis
    Free Member

Great GB results! Loved how Beth threw her bike down after winning.
    It’s worth seeking out the unedited full show from iplayer to see how draining a schedule it is and how well they did to avoid what were some horrific looking crashes along the way.
    Beth’s full unedited interview is pretty funny as well

Premier Icon joefm
    Free Member

So Beth had to crowdfund her way there? **** bc.

Premier Icon beej

She had to crowdfund for a couple of years I think – from 2017-19. From the BBC story:

In 2019, after her crowdfunding campaign, everything changed when Stephen Park, British Cycling’s performance director, recognised Shriever’s talent.

He persuaded UK Sport to allow them to re-allocate funding, moving Shriever up to Manchester and bringing her back onto the programme.

“For Sparky to see my potential and give me a chance to be a full-time athlete shot me in the right direction,” Shriever told BBC Sport. “Look where I am now.”

That seems to be a general issue with UK sport funding – without someone breaking through without central funding, they don’t get any.

Premier Icon theotherjonv

So Beth had to crowdfund her way there? **** bc.

4F’s please.

Sport UK decide what is funded so athletes can train full time and be supported to go to events. They’re to blame for dropping the women’s BMX program, not BC, and that’s why she had to crowdfund her participation in qualifiers, then BC stepped in again when the potential was realised as the only woman on the program.

If anything BC are the good guys, not the bad ones.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/olympics/bethany-shriever-bmx-gold-medal-tokyo-2020-olympics-crowdfunding-uk-sport-1128218

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.