Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • OLED vs HD. Do I need it?
  • I’m also in the market for a new telly, with a budget around £600-750.

OLED sounds cool but we don’t watch telly that much… so I’m not spending a grand.

55″ is also big enough for us. What should I be looking at? LG or Panasonic?

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/panasonic-tvs/panasonic-tx55fx700b.html

?

docrobster

We got a new tv before Xmas. A Samsung 55” NU8000 lcd that was reduced to £729. Couldn’t justify paying nearly £500 more for an OLED. Would we be able to see the difference? Not sure.
    Re future proofing…
    The 12 year old 37” Panasonic plasma that we paid £650 for is just as good a picture. And better sound. Still in use daily

docrobster

Reggie
    This one
    https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-ue55nu8000-ubdm7500.html
    Now with a free Bly day player!
    Heads off to richer sounds!

sharkbait

AND you’ve got a car?!! 🙂

Only joking TG – good thread actually as I’m feeling the need for a new TV as our plasma is a little long in the tooth as it’s about 8 years old – but it’s still working so I’ll just try to learn from this conversation.

TurnerGuy

I’d get that Panasonic myself, then google for someone who’s calibrated it.

TurnerGuy

our plasma is a little long in the tooth as it’s about 8 years old

mines about that age – it would be great apart from the posterization it shows sometimes (banding) which is purely down the the crapness of streamed content – it is blisteringly good with blurays and even dvds and mostly netflix/amazon until their adaptive compression kicks in and ruins the picture.

The LED Sony XF90 is attractive as motion is good, but it is a bit of a grey thing compared to a plasma.

The Sony OLEDs are very nice but they don’t have that realism the plasma has, and their top one with the best picture processing is on a set with that slab subwoofer/stand which makes wall mounting less than good and you are paying for loads of tech I don’t want.

The QLED Samsung Q9FN has decent blacks but motion problems compared to the Sonys and plasmas and crushes blacks.

I’ve seen some nasty motion stuttering on LG OLEDS which puts me right off the brand.

Probably going to wait for Samsung to get the Q9 right, or Sony to bring out a 55 LED that looks a bit black than the XF90.

mines about that age – it would be great apart from the posterization it shows sometimes (banding) which is purely down the the crapness of streamed content

Surely that’s the screen displaying the content accurately? – ie the banding is an encoding/compression issue not a weakness in the display. An OLED or LCD would display it exactly the same wouldn’t it?

Premier Icon Painey
    Subscriber

I’d get that Panasonic myself, then google for someone who’s calibrated it.

I have a Panasonic plasma which I calibrated and it’s great. To be honest, any screen will look good when correctly calibrated and that’s more important than most things. It’s too complicated a subject to cover briefly but if you value your picture quality, then look into that rather than comparing one screen versus another.

TurnerGuy

An OLED or LCD would display it exactly the same wouldn’t it?

Some of it is aggressive compression and some down to tone-mapping issues – which new screens have issues with as well, particularly with HDR. I’m not enough of a geek to want to know the actual reason though 🙂

Some sets have better picture processing that tries to smooth it out, with the Sony seemingly the best, but that X1 Ultimate chip is only on an OLED with the slab stand, or an LED that is bigger than I want and has blooming issues.

Called in to Richer Sounds last week came out purchasing a Sony 65″ OLED gets delivered tomorrow between 9&12 this is my Christmas Eve, price matched the cheapest I could find threw in a Sanus all singing bracket and then 24 MTHS interest free credit so £99 a month to replace a 46″ LCD Sony Bravia that was just under £2k over 10 years ago so if I get that run again I’ll call it value for money.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘OLED vs HD. Do I need it?’ is closed to new replies.