Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Oldish Audi A6 – money pit??
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hello

So, due to my ongoing midlife crisis (back to uni, no money etc) I’ve got to return my beloved 320d to the evil PCP people who insist I pay them each month.

I *know* that for my budget of about £3.5k the sensible option for a large family car would be a Mundeo or insignia.

However, I’ve spotted a 2008 A6 with fsh (80% Audi dealer) and has had timing belt done a few years back with 125k on the clock. I test drove it back to back with an insignia and it’s a much nicer place to sit. I’ll be doing my 90 mile round trip commute 4 times a week.

so.. a terrible idea? If it’s not, what I should look out for? I plan to get a local garage to give it a check before I buy it but it concerns me that the last owner only had it for 2 months (dealer says preivous owner needed a 4X4 for work and p/x it).

thanks!

legend
    Free Member

has had timing belt done a few years back

So not far off needing the timing belt done again?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^ yep, probably next spring.

FuzzyWuzzy

Not sure about Audi’s but my experience with BMW ownership was parts weren’t much more expensive than for Fords, Vauxhalls, VWs etc, you just tended to get shafted by main dealer labour rates so if you can find a decent independent it’s probably not going to cost much more.

So then it’s just a question of which is going to be more reliable but that’s a bit of a lottery anyway, although would partly depend on the age of the other options and if they’d had their known faults looked at/addressed. So given the miles you’re going to be doing I’d probably take the chance on the older Audi, at least if it breaks down you can off-set that against it had been a nicer drive until then, if you got a Mondeo and it broke down you’d be kicking yourself :p

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^ yep, I’ve so far not had any outrageous bills with the two BMW’s I’ve owned (avoiding main stealers like you say).

I just don’t knows. It doesn’t have folding rear seats and isn’t an estate *gasp* but does have a tow bar so I could stick a bike rack on that (it’s a pain putting bikes in the car anyway as I have about 40kg of baby seats to remove each time).

i did see a cheap estate version but it greeted me with a handbrake failure warning ..

piha
    Free Member

That A6 doesn’t sound a bad car but I’d be tempted by the A8.

I would think a lot of the A8’s were possibly bought and looked after by a more enthusiast owner and for the money you pay, you get an awful lot of car.

This looks like a good car, its older than your A6 but with a bit of research I’m sure you could find a better/newer model.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201809080295494?advertising-location=at_cars&model=A8&postcode=hp42af&make=AUDI&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&sort=price-asc&page=1

And if I was in the market I’d give a kidney for this one…..

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/audi/a8/audi-a8-d3-s8-quattro-fsi-v10-2006/9033121

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Wow, that A8 is a lot of car for the cash! I do think however that mrs RRR would refuse to drive it given it’s size (she’s already having a bit of a fit about the A6).

one of my main issues is that I don’t have the time to drive all over the place shopping for a car.

So what do people think about the last owner only having it 2 months? I mean, there could be a legitimate reason for it and if it’s got issues these would *hopefully* be seen when I get it checked over at a local garage?

onewheelgood

I had an A6 Avant 2.7tdi which I bought at 100k and took to 203k over the next 6 years. In that time it had two big money events: an engine out to replace some broken brackets at 140k (£800) and a split in the common rail at 200k (again about £800). Apart from that it needed nothing but regular services, most of which I had done at the main dealer for about £300 a time – but only needed every 20k, so works out pretty cheap. Like you say, it was a lovely place to be – particularly in the winter in the dark and the rain.

FuzzyWuzzy

A guy at work bought an old A8 – you get a hell of a lot of car for the money but:

a). They’re huge (outside at least), it used to stick out about 3 feet in the parking bay

b). It was a money-pit. A8’s are like Merc S-Class, they stick all the bells, whistles and tech in them so a lot of the bits are exclusive to them and very spendy.

He was an IT contractor on really good money and even he used to complain about the cost, I wouldn’t touch one myself as I know I couldn’t afford to deal with any issues…

ThePerfectKiss

I would avoid those V10 A8’s, you’ll have huge road tax, you’ll need to factor in V10 engine seal issues, just google it if it’s the same issue that applies to the S6 V10, basically a 50p part that requires engine out job, hence 1.5K repair.

I would look for an 07 ownwards petrol A6 avant, not easy to find but they came in some useful flavours, I did just that and found a 2.8 FSI, same tax as my old A4 avant 1.8T and slightly better economy! V6 engine is refined and a great place to be. All in over 2 years only issue has been an exhaust flexi joint, which was a 250 quid job, so look at the exhaust and underneath to see condition, worth checking suspension arms for corrosion and drop links.

edlong
    Free Member

does have a tow bar

While that might be handy, I tend to see tow bars on second hand cars as a bit of a warning sign – yes it might have been fitted by a previous owner who wanted to mount a bike rack. Equally, it might have been fitted by a previous owner who wanted to tow a burger van round the European music festival circuit..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^ it’s a good point but it looks like a brand new tow bar. Apparently the previous owner fitted it then traded in for a proper 4×4 towing monster.

i can’t stretch to an avant alas and I think the petrol engines would cripple my wallet given the miles I’ll be doing …

anyway, I’ve booked it in with the local garage for a check over this afternoon.

we shall see..

td75
    Free Member

Got a used 2009 A6 Avant 2.0TDIe CR in July. Really nice long distance cruiser, did 400 miles yesterday nice place to sit and rack up the miles. Tax is £145 and it’s great on fuel. Only down side is I feel the steering is overly light at speed.

All the diesel bashing in the press has got me a bit nervous thinking I should of bought a petrol car. Completely unsure what I’d buy in a petrol estate to replace it for £5K.

nosedive
    Free Member

My 2007 a6 was a money pit when I sold it 4 years ago with 80k on it. Wouldnt touch another. They are not as well built as people make out IMO

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^doesnt sound good.

soo.. car is back from garage. Mechanically it’s in great condition for it’s age.

but .. there are a few electrical issues such as spannered door opening assembly, washer motor dead, one air con fan dead.

codes 00657, 00156, 00420, 02115 for anyone excited by it?!

Have mentioned all the above to the dealer so will see what they come back with..

halfbee
    Free Member

I had a 2007 Estate.

2 Central locking motors failed – replaced with scrapyard ones – £40 ea

Wiper motor fails because washer fluid flows through the spindle and leaks into the gears. I fitted a cheap ebay one which was a mistake – make sure you buy a brand.

Other than that it was great. 140k on the original clutch

finishthat
    Free Member

The only way to run older expensive cars is to be able to do stuff yourself and/or have a trusted garage for backup, otherwise you are paying the high running costs of an expensive car , something like an A8 would be mad , A6 risky as they have plenty of high ticket foibles .

There is a significant Audi tax that makes them prone to be bodged for easy sale/profit  faults hidden etc.

If you are on a budget then get something that does not go wrong – check the reliability indexes ,

DezB
    Free Member

think the petrol engines would cripple my wallet given the miles I’ll be doing 

My brother had an A6 diesel and got rid because the fuel economy was terrible.

matt_outandabout

The only way to run older expensive cars is to be able to do stuff yourself and/or have a trusted garage for backup, otherwise you are paying the high running costs of an expensive car

This.

I do odds and ends like brakes or small jobs.

I’ve a brilliant garage in Stirling who are honest and open, happy to use my supplied parts etc.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>With that in mind, I’m likely to buy a set of V70 suspension bushes next month and chuck them in the shed for when they’re needed etc. I’ve already got a set of discs and pads as fronts are low.</span>

oldtennisshoes

Why not an e90 bimmer? I’ve got an 18 plate A6 avant (not latest model) after an F31 BMW 320d xDrive. The BMW was much more refined.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Why not an e90 bimmer? I’ve got an 18 plate A6 avant (not latest model) after an F31 BMW 320d xDrive. The BMW was much more refined.”

Well, that’s what I’m returning to the pcp people – a 2012 E91 320d. I love it and am very sad indeed to be getting rid of it. I don’t think I can find another for my meagre £3.5k budget that’s not very very high mileage?!

mikertroid
    Free Member

If the previous owner wants to get rid after 2 months I’d avoid like the plague! Looks like far too many faults to waste 3.5k. My e91 is worth ever so slightly more and has zero faults at a higher mileage….

Also it doesn’t sound great with no folding seats and non estate. Go for a superb if you want that size.

My mate had a slightly older À6 and it was a total money pit, even using indies…..

timc
    Free Member

We can go round the houses, you have to accept at that budget for a relatively high end low value car you will always be gambling.

the-muffin-man

I’d spend 2k on a Mondeo and leave some spare for repairs.

At this level exciting is off the list!

woffle
    Free Member

I’d spend 2k on a Mondeo and leave some spare for repairs.

At this level exciting is off the list!

This ^^. Or look at the Mazda 3/5.

The only car I ever ‘made’ money on from a bangernomics perspective was my much-loved Mondeo 1st gen facelift. 1.6 poverty spec with about 80K on the clock. Really not an exciting car but had zero issues over 50K miles and sold for a small profit (I then bought a Pug 205 Cti that was a complete shed. Idiot).

We had a Mazda 3 for 6 years. Bought with 70K on the clock. Driven daily on the school run etc and performed pretty much flawlessly until this year when it’d need some sills welding so we sold it on. Worked out at £400 a year in depreciation + the cost of tyres, discs and pads which were the only other costs during that time.

My brother in law bought a used, relatively high mileage Audi Allroad. And then had to sell it very quickly following the first bill (I forget the details but it was electrics and very £££).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Oldish Audi A6 – money pit??’ is closed to new replies.