Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • older window heat loss/draft prevention ideas?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’ve seen the tape and the cheap stuff you can get on ebay where you use a hairdryer to help fix it, seems incredibly cheap and therefor probably doesn’t work?

Is there something out there i’m missing?

mikey74
    Free Member

Secondary glazing.

isitafox
    Free Member

Yup, secondary glazing is actually really good just looks awful from the inside and is a pain in the arse when it comes to opening windows.

dknwhy

Had a company do a demo at work with some removable putty stuff that plugs gaps in and around the frame and openings. English heritage use it apparently.
    Can’t remember what they were called but thought I’d mention it in case someone else does.
    I’ll search through my work emails tomorrow for you…

slackalice
    Free Member

Before you hermetically seal your house, air movement is a good thing as it helps avoid damp.

Or you could go the MVHR route at the same time as sealing your windows and all will be well in your world 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Actually, the plastic film works pretty well. It’s about immobilising the air trapped between layers, not the plastic itself.

Done well, it’s pretty hard to notice, but in time the adhesive tape discolours.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

thanks for the feedback

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘older window heat loss/draft prevention ideas?’ is closed to new replies.