Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Older Scott Geniuses
  • johnnymarone
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of these bikes?
    My mate had one years ago, a carbon version, maybe 2008 model, which I was very enamoured with.
    I’ve been looking at them on ebay, along with a few other bikes from different manufacturers, all older bikes as thats what I like.
    What I notice is that there seems to be a relatively large amount of them available compared to other bikes that I’m interested in.
    I suspect its because of the special shock they use.
    Are the shocks on hese older models still salvageable should tbey break, does anybody still service them and are the slares still available.
    Anybody have any horror stories or conversely wants to sing their praises ? All info is greatly appreciated .

BearBack
    Free Member

I came to the Scott party in 2006, skipped the early generation genius “MC” in favour of sparks and ransoms but had some great years on the 2009-2012 generation genius.
    Everything has got better since but for a 32mm forked 150mm trail bike, it was brilliant.
    For sure the proprietary equalizer shock will be the perpetual questionmark from a service/replacement perspective.

philhadfield

I had one around that time but got rid because of the unreliable shock and the bike coming out of warranty (think I sent it back about 3 times). They were DT Swiss pull shocks branded as Scott and I used to send them back to Pace who were a Dt Swiss service centre. Shame really as it was a capable bike, but I would avoid for this reason, being a pull shock you really have no options to replace for another brand and they seemed to be made of cheese. 😟

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

Know quite a few people who had Ransoms of that era, they all had the same opinion, great bikes totally ruined by a hopelessly unreliable shock. Can only imagine parts and servicing for those shocks is even more difficult now.

BearBack
    Free Member

The ransom was a bit different in that you could use an rp23 with a high volume air can as a replacement.
    However, 680quid will buy you a brand new in stock 2009 equilizer2 shock. 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

Have you ridden one?
    I tried a 2004 Genius and a 2009 Spark when looking for new bikes.
    The Genius was really, really short, way before long was fashionable it still felt cramped. Chose a Marin Mt Vision instead.
    Spark was probably the best climbing bike I’ve ever ridden but the wheelbase felt massive, really didn’t hand well in the twisty stuff. Chose a Yeti ASR-C instead.
    I do however have a Plasma from about 2010 which I love 🤷‍♂️

johnnymarone
    Free Member

A Marin Mount Vision is one of the other bikes I was looking at. Around 2006 vintage , maybe a bit later, the folded and welded frame version (tara?)
    Im 6′ with monkey arms, do you reckon the Mt Vision is a safer bet?

andrewh
    Free Member

The Mt Vision wasn’t a TARA. The longer travel stuff, Attack Trail, Wolf Ridge, Rock Springs, were the TARA ones, adjustable 4/5/6in travel. The Mt Vision/East Peak were 4in XC bikes.
    2004 were the first of the quad-link folded and welded ones I think. I really liked mine at the time, raced it until I bought the Yeti in 2009.
    No idea which would be best for you, but a Mt Vision definitely fits very differently to a Genius, whichever you like you will probably hate the other. My mate who had a Genius never got on with the high BB of my Marin, I liked the ground clearance, he reckoned it cornered badly.
    To come back to your original question though, loads more Marins about and shocks are easy to change, no weird proprietary stuff on it

thols2

For sure the proprietary equalizer shock will be the perpetual questionmark from a service/replacement perspective.

I wouldn’t touch any old bike with a non-standard shock.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Its looking like the Genius was not my best idea then. Thanks all, you may have saved me a costly mistake.

BigJohn

A riding buddy had one of the earlier ones. In the age-old tradition of starting a review with something positive: it was a nice colour.
    Lots of levers to lock front and back and adjust travel for climbing (essential, I seem to remember) and (although he takes a large when I usually ride a medium) my knees still give a phantom ache when I think about it. I banged them on the bars whenever I tried it. Man, it was short.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Older Scott Geniuses’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts