Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Older riders – how old were you when you first started to lose performance?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I’m 42 in a month and fitter than a butcher’s dog – as fit as I’ve ever been tbh.
    I’m riding c 100m on the road most weeks – a couple of commutes and then a club run on Sunday but in the last few weeks I’ve found myself dropping off the back of the club run and/or taking a few days to recover when a similar effort would previously have seen me ok the next day.
    Now I’m not unduly worried about this – the club is dominated by guys 10 years younger than me, plus it may just be that I’m riding too many miles, but it’s got me wondering when age starts to slow you down – what’s the STW experience?

I gather than what you lose in speed as you age you gain in endurance so I may just grow a beard and buy myself a tourer and start audaxing, and accept middle-age gracefully 🙂

wanmankylung
    Free Member

br
    Free Member

but it’s got me wondering when age starts to slow you down – what’s the STW experience?

While I didn’t start riding until I was 40, I’m finding that at 50 I’ve not the complete fitness I had when in my mid-40’s but I’ve more mental stamina. Consequently I’ve no problem keeping up with folk 10-20 years younger than me.

This is not racing nor roadie stuff, but mtb-ing.

postierich
    Free Member

I,m struggling now to ride fast but can ride all day started going downhill when I moved to the Lakes 3 years ago I,m nearly 49 maybe its just the hills! 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

I doubt you slowing down that significantly at 42.
    100 miles a week is not a lot to be fair. The good v40’s I know ride on average triple that amount.
    You probably need to ride more, and rest properly in between.
    44 here. Last summer I was fitter than I can remember. My fitness only dropped because my time on bike has dropped … I like to think I still got another 10yrs of hard riding left in me.

whitestone
    Free Member

What I’ve found with increased age is that I don’t recover as quickly, whether that’s after a long ride or after efforts within a ride. As an example on a steep climb I’d be able to recover on an easing, wouldn’t have to be flat, but just 50 metres and the next steep bit would be as if I was fresh. These days I need a kilometre or two to recover 😳

I don’t know what your mileage has been up to now but 100 miles is not a huge weekly distance. Are you starting with a cold or fever? I’m 56 and my average weekly distance for the year so far is 288Km (170 miles?) but January and most of February were low mileage being mostly on the turbo so probably 80Km (50 miles) for those 6 or 7 weeks.

Esme
    Free Member

“started going downhill”
    😕 That’s good isn’t it?

cakefacesmallblock

Just turned 55. I’m slightly slower than I was five years ago , but probably able to ride for longer periods.
    Biggest thing for me now, is that I can’t ride fast right from the start, I really need 15 to 20 mins very steady, even maybe slowly, to begin with.
    Recovery to normal following colds and such seems to take longer too.
    Riding anything from 20 to 50 miles a week,hilly off-road over usually 2 or 3 sessions.

ton

5 years ago. and how i feel now, i cant see it coming back. i can however ride steady all day.

white101

FWIW I’m clocking between 70-100 miles a week on a mix of cx and mtb and I am well chuffed with myself at the grand old age of 43.
    I feel fitter than ever, only things stops me riding more is time to do it…

scaredypants

I’ve been riding recreationally for aaages, but started loosely “timing” myself on some road loops about 10 years ago (and have a few strava rides) when I was 40). Have never trained in any meaningful way. I always am at my fastest in August/Sept after a 2wk holiday where I do lots of mtb riding, in biggish mountains.

At 50 this year I can beat the shit out of my 40-yr old self but then I am riding a bit more now my kids are older. That said, I’m better than “only” 2-4 yrs ago for the same time of year, so I don’t think I’m on a big physical decline just yet.

Biggest thing for me now, is that I can’t ride fast right from the start, I really need 15 to 20 mins very steady, even maybe slowly, to begin with.

+1 or at least my knees/ankles agree !

large418
    Free Member

I think this year at the ripe age of 49 it has become noticeable. I was getting regular KOMs last year and the year before, and xc races was doing top 10’s in the vets. Now struggling to get near any KOMs and haven’t got the fight to do well in xc races. Some of it is mental, and some of it is losing strength, which I am sure is disappearing.
    Supposedly the endurance improves, but the muscle mass declines, so you have to work at the muscle stuff to maintain speed.

adsh
    Free Member

Edited – read crap.

There is a point where the masking effect of youthful energy fades enough that targeted training is needed to maintain performance. Unless you were training really hard previously (and it doesn’t sound as if you were/are?) then there’s no reason why, if diligent, that you wouldn’t actualy increase performance. I managed it from 50-51.

cynic-al
    Free Member

46 here, I don’t train or race consistently but I don’t think I’ve lost any performance due to age, just due to not training.

What affects me most is recovery – takes longer.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m 58 in a couple of weeks time, I’ve been on tablets for high blood pressure for quite a few years now and I had a bit of cancer a couple of years ago.
    I’ve still got a few Strava KOM’s but they’re slowly being whittled away and I don’t see myself earning any new one’s as I don’t feel the need to push myself to the max any more.

P-Jay
    Free Member

‘Only’ 37, and still getting faster – I’ve only been riding for 10 years though so, plenty of time to learn some new tricks.

I have ‘eased up’ on some stuff though, I was at FOD at the weekend, after our ride we fancied another go at the last few KM of the blue XC loop so we rode up the push-up road thanks to some info from a coupe of local riders – on the way we passed a couple of the crossing points on the DH tracks, “Oh sod that, that doesn’t look fun to me” I said out-loud, it was only then my riding mate reminded me that we’d actually raced there, on that very track at some point last decade.

I’m technically better than I ever have been, I’m quicker than ever over the stuff I’m comfortable with, but I know deep down that there’s stuff I would have thrown myself over 5 years ago and hoped for the best that I wouldn’t ride now.

I’m not sure it’s age, or the fact I’m a Dad now, a nasty injury a couple of years ago or just the self-confidence to say “no” rather than let peer pressure get the best of me – but the end result is the same. Cwmcarn DH for example, I used to be quite the regular on the uplift bus and could if the mood took me get down in a decent enough time – but these days I look at the second bit from the road drop and think, Nah, it’ll only hurt ha ha.

Trimix
    Free Member

49, fitter now that before. But I take longer to warm up, feel shit if I push hard until about 30mins into the ride.

I expect to compensate by riding with more skill, riding a lighter bike and doing longer rides.

But eventually will get slower – not sure if that’s 5 or 10 years away though.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

58 here and the difference is that I don’t have a rapid change of pace so I am OK in a time trial but in a MTB or road race I would really struggle with the constant changes of pace . Did a 118km sportive with over 2000 metres of climbing on Monday though and finished stronger than most of those I was riding with who are all younger than me by some distance .

bob_summers

41, while this season has been pretty pants (toddler & newly self employed), I haven’t noticed any drop off as such. Crappy w/kg this year is down to beers on the sofa and lack of quality training, not age. Maybe I have a shock coming but I don’t think I’m taking londer to recover either, although I generally look after myself (plenty sleep, 20+ years vegan, low stress job etc).
    Mentally, maybe. I’ve struggled to get out and train when the weather’s bad in winter. Years past I’d be halfway round the route before noticing how bad it was, whereas now I’m grumbling in front of the weather radar over breakfast 😳

I train with some very good 40+ riders (from ex world tour to masters/elites), and kids (juniors to sub23 and elites) which is a good situation – some of the young ‘uns are incredible riders but there’s always an old dude in the mix so I can’t feel sorry for my old ass.

bigjim

I’m 37 and have been mountain biking since I was 14, I definitely don’t have the fitness and recovery I did in my late teens when I would ride all day until I couldn’t pedal any more and then repeat the next day etc etc. I notice a lot more aches and pains after a big ride, especially my back, hands and in winter my knees, and it takes me longer to recover.

Main thing in relation to mountain biking is I don’t have the fearless attitude of a teenager, we used to rattle down stuff on rigid steel bikes with canti brakes I would really hesitate to ride down now on my modern full susser. If I crashed back then it was funny and we all laughed, now it bloody hurts and I have to think about missing work etc!

crash_gav
    Free Member

I’m 52 and its my body thats starting to let me down (sore back, frozen shoulder etc). I dont have any pace now but can ride steady all day, so no bad thing. Still do as many daft Mtb things as I used to, so not all bad.

iainc

49 here, don’t race, but ride a few times a week, road and mtb. Fitness hasn’t dropped through age, but injury and illness have taken a huge toll 🙁

stevied
    Free Member

41 here and had a bit of a dip in performance due to less riding. Installed Strava a few weeks ago and, combined with more riding and longer rides, I’m starting to get my fitness back to a decent (for me) level. I find Strava gives you a bit more of an incentive to push a little harder which translates into better fitness.

Sancho
    Free Member

At 40 I was in the form of my life, running and riding, going for my 4th cat, chaingang, riding most days.
    Then I somehow got chronic kidney disease and now I am happy to go for a walk.
    5 years later, 50lbs heavier, a cocktail of drugs everyday and just getting by day to day.

Enjoy your health whilst you have it.

iainc

^^^ 🙁

must be horrible..

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Recovery defiantly and noticeable this year (hit 48 in February) fitness ironical better but been training with a PM for a year now so been a bit smarter with my training. Also not frightened to take days off now rather than push myself to total exhaustion. Currently reading Joe Friel ‘fast after 50’ who advocates shorter higher intensity & weights as we age.

rone

Good post.

43, 100-200 off-road only miles per week, distant and constant effort better than ever. Don’t need much food on the bike either.

Differences? Harder work to sprint, much harder to recover, not as effortless uphill. Slightly more reticent downhill. Aches and pains of natural ageing.

But I think you just have to work harder yourself, and smarter to coin a clique. I’ve found holding a fast pace off-road for 50-70 miles my strength now. So I work everything around that, even dialling in KOMs as the challenge as my sprints along the way.

But no, I’m not slower – I’m faster overall.

Having gone through a real downer between 40-41, feeling like my fitness was done for, my mate just said to keep hitting back at the brick wall. 🙂

iainc

very much agree with that. Have been trying to rebuild fitness after being off the bike Dec – Feb due big health problems and the first 15 mins or so feels awful. Gets better thereafter tho !

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Not sure that’s entirely an age thing. I’m “only” 35 but need a 20min warm up to get going for my training sessions. Before i started training i remember i used to feel rubbish until i’d done the first climb/effort then would feel great.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on the event. I have a mate who is a good triathlete. Because he is spending an hour at threshold he hasn’t noticed any performance loss at 49. He does say it takes him longer to recover though. He is a pure slow twitch guy too.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m 48, I’m faster now than when I was 38 but I am 3st lighter which helps. Crashes take longer to recover from though. Currently nursing bruised ribs & numerous contusions after an interface with the ground on Monday 🙁

Dog-Ears
    Free Member

I’m very close to 66 and I can depress you all by saying that after 60 your fitness level, combined with increasing lack of confidence, takes a nose dive; sorry.

Andy-R

Ramsey Neil – Member
    58 here and the difference is that I don’t have a rapid change of pace so I am OK in a time trial but in a MTB or road race I would really struggle with the constant changes of pace . Did a 118km sportive with over 2000 metres of climbing on Monday though and finished stronger than most of those I was riding with who are all younger than me by some distance .

I saw from the results that you must have had a good ride Neil – I, on the other hand, am just the same as I ever was – still mediochre, just older 8)

globalti
    Free Member

Been noticing it for the last couple of years but this year I’m 59 and the performance is dropping off as well as the recovery time; I seem to have permanently aching legs nowadays!

fasthaggis

I gather than what you lose in speed as you age you gain in endurance so I may just grow a beard and buy myself a tourer and start audaxing, and accept middle-age gracefully

I am looking forward to that 😉 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

Look up WAVA for runners for some quite precise and comprehensive analysis. But I’m faster than ever as a runner at 46. A lot depends on how much training you do!

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m 46 and only started biking 6 years ago (I was a runner before that), so I don’t have a go
    direct comparison to make with my younger days!

A friend of mine who is almost 53 is fitter now than he has been in years.

failedengineer

Just made up 60 and I can definitely feel that my best years are behind me ….

dang100
    Free Member

38 and its been taking me two days to shift a hangover since I was 35

jambalaya
    Free Member

52. When I took up riding at 45 my 58 year old neighbour was much fitter than me. I would definitely subscribe to the view that you lose power and speed but can sustain endurance. I find my base level of fitness drops away quickly if I don’t ride for a while these days, so its more important to get out regularly. Also the injury recovery is much much slower, lots of personal examples (sob stories). This then combines with fitness level dropping away so it can be along time to “get back”. Also whilst endurance is OK I find long back to back days on say a weekend away are a really struggle, in fact haven’t planned such riding for more than a year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Older riders – how old were you when you first started to lose performance?’ is closed to new replies.