Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Old Tyres : Garage Storage ideas?
  • Premier Icon grtdkad

I’m sorting my garage at the moment and wondering how STW store their tyres.

I have six tyres-up spare wheels and I must have ~20 ‘spare’ tyres, all serviceable – but just in one mass knot of rubber.

Any ideas for a neat storage solution?
    W.H.Y?

Premier Icon towzer
    Free Member

When I had a high sloping roof garage I used to loop 6 or so together on a thin rope and haul up into space, ditto hanging from high nails.

I’ve now got a big 2m long orange storage rack and the lowest shelf is just high enough to put tyres under vertically
    Something like this https://www.bigdug.co.uk/racking-c4502/industrial-racking-c4948/newpo-industrial-shelving-unit-p13468/s1214?cid=GBP&vs_vat=inc&utm_campaign=Shopping%3ARacking&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAiAyc2BBhAaEiwA44-wW9n5j6W36n1QXcWF4LRYoZSn7MQJKp8sG6xMsYlwN5vvXnMvcMAqPRoCNZUQAvD_BwE

But you get them on Facebook etc cheaper, 2nd hand.

Premier Icon hooli
    Free Member

Hung in a reasonable sized bunch with a bungy cord (or 2) somewhere out the way.

Premier Icon toby

Broom handle through the lot then between two rafters.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Something like a wardrobe clothes hanging bar.

Premier Icon a11y

Leftover plyboard on top of the rafters in the garage and launch them all up there (well when I say launch I mean carefully stack…). Before that they just say in a stacked pile in the corner. I find storing them with a partially inflated inner tube in them helps avoid a ‘leaning tower of Pisa’ moment.

Premier Icon Tracey

Ours, new and old, are rolled up and a length of clear parcel tape around the tread which the size is written on.
    They are then stored in stackable trays a bit like the food deliveries use. Done that way also allows ease of packing in the camper.
    We do have far too many tyres but find it difficult to throw them away.

Premier Icon happybiker
    Free Member

I used to have a broom stock hanging with them all in a neat row, sods law, the ones you need are in the middle and the whole lot falls on your head when you go to get them down.

Now I fold them, stick a rubber band around them and stack them on a shelf.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu

I use a couple of big metal shelf brackets from screwfix.
    Bolt them to the wall up high and hang the tyres off them.
    Put a bolt in the end of the arm to stop the tyres slipping off.

Premier Icon grtdkad

Thanks all. I used to hang them off the end of an old plank. Hoping to have something a tad more elegant.

Premier Icon abingham

I have a cargo net held up against the rafters using hooks (with some slack to allow the net to hang a foot or so off the roof itself – chuck tyres/wheels/etc up in the net, park car underneath. Problem solved.

Premier Icon Northwind

Wire bead ones are cable tied to the garage roof- the rafters are full of hooks and nails for this sort of thing, dead handy. Foldy ones get folded up tight with cable ties and put in boxes, you can store them pretty small that way

It is a sickness though, if you’re ever asking how to store all these tyres the answer is probably don’t I just sold a bunch and threw some in the recycling and it has filled me with a beautific zenlike calm, now I can fill that space with some other shit I don’t need.

Premier Icon grtdkad

Yeah I’ve had the clear out. Just leaving me with various tread pattern MTB tyres all with decent tread depending on season plus 3-4 road tyres. A couple of which are spanking new.

Premier Icon rickon

This.

They’re folding tyres, fold them! It’s the most efficient way to store them.

If you had a bike shop you wouldn’t unravel them, and store them as circles.

Fold them suckers.

Premier Icon rickon

This.

They’re folding tyres, fold them! It’s the most efficient way to store them. I’ve got about 20 on a single 6 foot shelf.

If you had a bike shop you wouldn’t unravel them, and store them as circles.

Fold them suckers.

Premier Icon jkomo

If anyone has any 275 race kings they want storing I have space for two.

Premier Icon zerocool

I just have a huge pile of them in the corner of the garage. Admittedly it’s waiting to be got rid of (for the last year) and palmed off on friends/family. Not very practical but I have the space at the mo

Premier Icon HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Roll them up, put on shelf

Like this pic, nicked from mtbr..

Premier Icon Tracey

That’s how mine are rolled up but with clear parcel tape instead of the rubber bands.

Premier Icon ThePinkster

Mine all hang from a ladder hook. Matching pairs have a short loop of thin rope hooked through them and they’re hung from that so they keep together.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Has the OP actually said his are folders?

Premier Icon Tracey

I thought he was asking how we store ours

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

I thought he was asking how we store ours

Yeah I meant rickons post which, in turn, I’ve misread anyway so my original point is void.

As you were, nothing to see here!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.