Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Old sewing patterns. What to do with them?
  • tthew

Have a bag of about 35 old sewing patterns of my mums, which I said I’d do something with. Ranging from the late 60’s up to 80’s by the looks of them.

Are these of any value/interest/use to anyone, (not here necessarily, although some of the trousers look voluminous enough to be worn over kneepads) or just in the recycling with them?

gnusmas

A friend of mine sews a lot and makes all the clothes for herself, her husband and their 2 kids. I’m sure she’d be interested in them

PiknMix
    Free Member

Some vintage patterns have a value to them (the 60’s ones especially), most will go for about 50p in your local charity shop.

Have you got a local haberdashery shop, if so go and have a chat after lockdown.

tthew

Gnusmas, they don’t look like the kind of clothes you’d make these days unless it was for a fancy dress party!

And fair suggestion pik n mix but I’m trying to make this easy for myself! 😁

simon_g

Any local sewing groups you can seek out? Or local WI or U3A will have sewing groups and may be interested.

tthew

Oh, WI, that’s a great idea. I know just the (older) woman.

BillMC

There’s quite a trade on Ebay, people want old patterns for all sorts of reasons plus they get adapted. My Mrs was delighted to re-discover patterns from decades ago she thought she’d thrown out and they are being pressed into use.

squirrelking
    Free Member

My missus says send them to her. Alternatively there are vintage sewing groups on Facebook. But send them to her.

Patterns can be adapted so they’re not useless.

tthew

@squirrelking, OK, as yours is the second request, I’ll see if Gnusmas’s friend is interested and give you second refusal. Won’t be posting until after the lockdown though as the package will be too big for printed postage and the local letter box. 👍

matt_outandabout

There’s a nice cafe in St Andrews which has used old knitting and sewing patterns as wallpaper.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Old sewing patterns. What to do with them?’ is closed to new replies.