• This topic has 55 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by wbo.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Old school XC but on a modern HT?
  • tourismo

You could put a flat bar on the new Cotic Cascade. Saw photo of one on their FB page, looked good.

schmiken

I use a Pivot Les for pretty much exactly what you describe. It’s not the cheapest but it is awesome.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got a 21″ Ti Sherpa frame, Gen 3, never ridden, that needs a good home. Price would be sensible so please PM if interested

One size too big unfortunately

dpfr

Oh well. I tried. I might have to grit my teeth and put up with Ebay/FB idiocy then.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve had similar thoughts after building up a new scandal a while ago and not liking it. Still prefer slack-ish, not too long, reasonably low feel.

I’ve a Scandal, use it whenever the gravel bike is not enough and my Enduro-based FS is too much.

It works well for most things, from lunchtime 10 miles/1000ft loops from home to bigger 50 milers and ever as a bikepacking bike (did the Badger Divide on it). Having the right tyres for the route/conditions are key, so run a couple of wheelsets.

anagallis_arvensis

No idea about new/old school, lls or angles but I really like my Whippet

DrP

Scandal fits the bill…

DrP

MrPottatoHead

This is the kind of bike I’m circling back to now, so watching this thread with interest. My only mtb is an original Scandal 26 which I’ve been clinging on to. In many ways it’s perfect but getting a bit tired now about 10-15 yrs abuse.

I’ve done the gravel thing and that suits most of my local area, but in all honesty not much better than the type of bike op is talking about for the riding I do.

stevie750

anyone got a kona honzo , that seems to fit the description

TheBrick
    Free Member

Some bike packing bikes are more this way. No suspension but some of the crust bikes are basically updated old school xc mtbs.

scud
    Free Member

I have a Santa Cruz carbon chameleon 120mm fork 29” wheels for exactly that. Very old school but very capable too.

I had same problem when i moved to East Anglia, the slack bikes are great for the “winch up and descend” type of riding, but not if you’re riding is fairly flat and weaving in and out of trees.

I looked at loads of frames and ended up with a 2016 Santa Cruz Highball, been great to ride and more traditional geometry

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Scandal fits the bill…

DrP

Maybe, although unless you can get a good deal on a frame only the stock build is a bit heavy for that.

Not that knocking 5lb off it would make it less gnarr, it would just double the price to add carbon wheels and SID’s. Would make an interesting experiment though.

Clink

Not that knocking 5lb off it would make it less gnarr, it would just double the price to add carbon wheels and SID’s. Would make an interesting experiment though.

I built up a current generation Scandal frame with carbon wheels, and 120mm SIDs, was ace. It was replaced with a full sun (Epic Evo) but now have a Chisel frame, which is perfect for local riding (Somerset).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mines still shod with the original Vittoria Goma’s which can’t be great for speed, I just know if I take them off it’ll rain though, not a bad thing at the moment perhaps!

finephilly
    Free Member

How about a Curtis – XC7 I think it is. 27.5 wheels, 68HT angle, 74 seat tube angle. £1300 for the frame, though!

wbo
    Free Member

I’d try and get a ride on a modern XC bike just in case. Scott Scale, Canyon Grand Canyon or a BMC would probably fit the bill. I don’t think you need anything very obscure or niche

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.