Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Old School Camera Shots (very pic heavy thread!)
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes, but they weren’t very sensitive, or constructive, were they? You just said they were ‘rubbish’, yet you offered no helpful tips or advice. I think that’s what people objected to.

Fortunately, Mr Nutt is quite thick (skinned), so I doubt he’d take offence, but you could try being a little less insensitive, sometimes.

DezB
    Free Member

Some people are just deliberately contentious. No point getting narked about it RB.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yet you offered no helpful tips or advice

I questioned the sensibility of the experiment, but I’m pleased to see his later efforts are better 🙂

iamtheresurrection

I questioned the sensibility of the experiment Oh the irony. I question the sensibility of you shooting handheld at 1.6seconds, on a 142mm focal length at f5.3 in the pitch black and expecting anything worthwhile to appear as a result (it didn’t, by the way).

Why on earth you pressed the shutter release, I’ll never know. Oh, and calling it ‘Abstract’?! Wanktastic.

Given you never take the camera off fully automatic, I can’t understand why you’d want to lug a big SLR around with you Simon, when frakly you’d get similarly dull results from a P&S.

Comments such as those on your opening post really are irksome.

http://www.bogtrotters.org/show_album_shot.php?album_id=952&pic_ident=26

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oooooooooooooo – photographer handbags are the bestest ever!

Popcorn anyone?

iamtheresurrection

ADH – I’m rubbish. But at least I know it… 😀

I’ve had a truly rubbish day, going to log off and go for a ride. In the rain. And wind. And I’ve got a cold, etc etc.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Oooooooooooooo – photographer handbags are the bestest ever!

amateur ones are even better

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I like them, MrNutt. SFB is clearly an arrogant cock with a photoshop fetish.

MrNutt
    Free Member

SFB is clearly an arrogant cock with a photoshop fetish.

yes but he does take the occasionally superb photograph, so I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt 😉

avdave2

Yes he does take good photos if you think that a good result is an amateur taking a photo that looks like it was taken by a pro to fulfil a particular brief. I’ve been a professional photographer in a previous life and I think the last thing an amateur should aspire to is to reproduce the type of commercial work that pros are commissioned to produce. They do it to earn money, you don’t have to so do something different. Copying the sort of work that one sees published commercially is just more and more of the same and just says I have no ideas of my own and no way to value anything other than by what it might be worth if I were selling it. SFB’s pictures are good technically and he could probably earn his living as a photographer from what I’ve seen but unless he is going to do that I fail to see the point of his photos other than for personal reward. however I must say this is an opinion based on just what I have seen here. SFB may well have other photos which he doesn’t post here which might totally change my mind about what he is doing with his talent. MrNutt I do like the chef that has something about it. I think though that you deserve something better than the Zenit. Perhaps an Olympus OM1n or Pentax K1000 would be worth tracking down. They will both give you results when you get it right whereas the Zenit will let you down even when you do get it right.

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Given you never take the camera off fully automatic, I can’t understand why you’d want to lug a big SLR around with you Simon, when frakly you’d get similarly dull results from a P&S.

Comments such as those on your opening post really are irksome.

http://www.bogtrotters.org/show_album_shot.php?album_id=952&pic_ident=26

You have a D300 but never take it off the P setting? Wowweee. What a waste of money. You’ve essentially let the camera designer choose how good your images look. You just happened to press the shutter.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

avdave2; I’ve offered him the use of a Nikon FM2, although I totally forgot! I have a K1000 as well!

MrNutt; if you wanna borry, just let us know.

MrNutt
    Free Member

mmm could do, that said I’m kinda in the clutches of some kind of perverse melted down tank/russian camera fetish which has curretly got me bidding on about 25 different cameras on ebay!! 😆 I’ve got it bad, I like the mess they put out.

Oh, just if anyones interested I’ve actually recently been offered a (surprisingly heathy) sum of money for a large print of one of my B&W snaps which should pay for my new vice! 😉

I’m gonna keep with it, I like the defects, I like the fact that I’m getting 4 good shots per roll, that to me is an amazing return! 😀

iamtheresurrection

SFB’s pictures are good technically and he could probably earn his living as a photographer from what I’ve seen

I really should let this go (‘m not really that argumentative), but I couldn’t disagree more. Although granted, there are a lot of people who are terrible ‘pros’ – they normally shoot weddings…

For me, really good photogs fall into two camps, and both groups have a really good understanding of light and its use. There are those who shoot fairly straight composition and light a scene really well, MrSmith’s site above is a good example to me. Then, there are those who I think really use their camera like an artist, and come up with creative that I only wish I could match. This girl, as a true amateur, is a good example of how inventive some people are (lots of her really good stuff was taken with a compact): http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennipenni/2590423537/in/set-72157604168225201/

The rest of us really are just taking pictures which have personal significance. There is nothing wrong with SFB’s photos as long as you take them for what they are, quick snaps taken with a little bit of thought as memories of an event. Techincally they are not good, but Simon I’m sure would argue that he doesn’t care as they mean something to him, which is entirely fair. And this brings me back to the opening post, those shots by MrNutt are good images that will mean something to him and SFB has absolutely no grounding to critique them in such an obviously crass way.

FWIW, I really like the coffee cup image MrNutt. I think it’s really quite good.

conkerman
    Free Member

Some good pics there MrNutt. Mrs Nutt is a natural model.

Looks like you are having fun with the camera, and thats the whole point isn’t it??

Conks

daveevs
    Free Member

Nice shots, Mr Nutt. I like a bit of lo-fi photography, both for the challenge of the shot and the “back in the day” finish.

£5 disposable, 35mm(ish) f.something 1/probably 60

We should have a lo-fi contest. One £5 disposable. One day. One image.

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Quite enjoy the old school photos. No real reason for it but it’s fun.

My girlfriend took this one with a Lomo Diana which I think is brilliant.

daveevs
    Free Member

Mmm, Liking the Lomo strangeness…

Was kinda expecting a cat though 😉

Ti29er
    Free Member

I went digital only 3 years ago.
    Sold my Leica gear last year.
    http://www.t-f-p.com

Tim

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Wunundred!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and SFB has absolutely no grounding to critique them in such an obviously crass way.

my criticism was of flaws that would be obvious to a 5 year old,like scratches and blebs.

You’ve essentially let the camera designer choose how good your images look. You just happened to press the shutter.

exactly right, except the engineers would probably never choose to go to the places I go. I don’t have the patience to try to out think them, and on the few occasions I’ve tried the results have been worse 🙂 I’m not really interested in photography, only images.

when frakly you’d get similarly dull results from a P&S.

I beg to differ, the D200 and D300 seem to beg to be used, anything but the lightest touch gives you 2 shots, and it’ll keep shooting happily at around 6 (D200, 5) shots a second as long as you hold the button down. No P&S will do that, or zoom so fast, or focus so quickly, or show you EXACTLY what’s recorded. I apologise for the dullness, but I have no imagination 🙁

Copying the sort of work that one sees published commercially is just more and more of the same and just says I have no ideas of my own

I’m not copying anyone, and am content to merely reflect what I see

ilikebikes
    Free Member

ti29er’s pics are bloody good!

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Nice photos Tim.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

when frakly you’d get similarly dull results from a P&S

I doubt if any P&S would get this:

(the gif is slowed down to show the frames – the whole thing took one second)

paulosoxo
    Free Member

My video camera would though 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

why did he avoid what appears to be the remainder of a perfectly good bridge?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

why did he avoid what appears to be the remainder of a perfectly good bridge?

wicked side wind and a bump at the start of bridge to induce wobble. Two other riders nearly got blown off too 🙂

click pic for more

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

anyone in Reading or Derby got any darkroom kit tey want to sell on? Seems to be loads on ebay going for penuts, but all colection only on some remoe scottish islant (or Hull).

i feel a new hoby coming on.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i feel a new hoby coming on.

can I guess it’s not spelling ?

theginjaninja
    Free Member

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

haha bonk

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Old School Camera Shots (very pic heavy thread!)’ is closed to new replies.