Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Old racing bike numpty wheel question
  • stox
    Free Member

I have an old Raleigh that’s set up single speed which I use for commuting / general pootling around.

What I want to know is, can I fit QR wheels to this? I don’t really like carting a spanner around with me so do I have any options?

FWIW I think I’m stuck with the spanner but hoping I can be proven wrong.

This is the set up …

billytinkle
    Free Member

You are most certainly not stuck with a spanner my friend! You could also use a socket wrench 😀

No need to thank me.

will
    Free Member

You can convert to QR but it isn’t that easy. If it’s just a pootling bike you could get a new SS wheelset quick cheap.

If I was you think I’d just fix a snapper to your frame (somehow)

abbot
    Free Member

Are you looking to buy new wheels for this?

I have an old bike with similar dropouts at the back. I do use a quick release wheel in it and it is generally ok but if you put extreme force through the cranks, (say standing up on pedals on a hill) then the rear can slip out of alignment as I’ve not been able to fully tighten the QR down.

What is your rear width between the drop outs? For me this is an old frame that I’ve spread slightly to take a 135mm wheel. That is the root of the problem for me I think.

Overall day to day is fine though.

Converting you current wheel to QD is possible as Will said but probably not worth the palavar

stox
    Free Member

Cheers abbot

Are you looking to buy new wheels for this?

Yeah if that would mean a QR Set up … Nothing too lavish … Probs be scanning eBay for a set

Have to check rear width tomorrow – its in the shed and top gears coming on! 🙂

Don’t fancy the wheel slippage issue tbh with you …

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What you need is a box spanner, 99p, smaller than a multitool and cheeper than a new wheelset!

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/je-james-box-spanner-6mm-to-15mm-id75086.html

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why on earth not? Front is irrelevant.
    Back is where people wonder. QR’s have been used in normal dropouts for decades. What has changed? Nothing. The fact that you might have a fixed wheel there matters not a jot.

mattsccm
    Free Member

And to swap axles, all you need are a pair of hollow ones that are a few mm shorter than the distance across the outside of the dropouts when everything is done up tight.
    Lets assume they are metric threads so your old cones go straight on. Don’t mess about with fancy new QR’s . Get some old Shimano or Campag ones. Job done for the price of axles and QR’s.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I’d not only fit QR but gears too…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Old racing bike numpty wheel question’ is closed to new replies.