• This topic has 129 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by poly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • Old People Driving
  • mechanicaldope

How are they allowed?
    Old Man (apparently) Causes Crash

sandboy

I regularly ride through Sandringham and West Newton either on the way up to or back from the coast. Might have to find an alternative route now just to be on the safe side.

fossy

Stop the duffer driving I’d say. Bet he won’t face any ‘charges’ if at fault.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

“Young, predominantly male, drivers are much more likely to crash within six months of passing their test than older drivers within six months of hanging up their keys.

What?

binners

Old bloke (similar age) down the road from us managed to flip his car onto its roof on a dead straight road in a 30 zone with no other vehicles involved. Christ only knows how he managed it! It was a shitty little Punto too

mechanicaldope

It’s madness that there aren’t retests as you get older. Maybe should face one every decade after passing?

bruneep

Stop the duffer driving I’d say. Bet he won’t face any ‘charges’ if at fault.

Yup!
    Doubtful his wife would prosecute him

fossy

My FIL was a liability in his later years. Kept ‘chips away’ busy with minor repairs to a new car.

kimbers

I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t supposed to be driving,

I was told by someone in the know , nudge, nudge, that he was totally senile

MoreCashThanDash

Let’s not make this an issue about this particular driver.

ALL drivers should be retested, say every 10 years up to the age of 60, then every 5 years to 70, then maybe every 2 years.

The bottom line is that young drivers kill and seriously injure many more than older drivers.

rene59
    Free Member

How many young drivers are there conmpared to older drivers?

matt_outandabout

I think we should all take a test every 10 years and over 60 every 5 years.

Houns

Driving without duke care

mechanicaldope

The bottom line is that young drivers kill and seriously injure many more than older drivers.

Then test them more as well. And limit the power of their vehicles. They already lose their licences easier and have high insurance premiums.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is the lead suspect a Mrs May of London? She has a royal baby on the way, this would have given here a week or so

athgray
    Free Member

I think we should all take a test every 10 years and over 60 every 5 years.

So how would people perform in a driving test knowing their livelihood depends on it? People might be required to give up employment and move house because of nerves on the day. It might even end marriages.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So how would people perform in a driving test knowing their livelihood depends on it?

Sounds like a good test then, how do these people cope with a complex and dangerous task such as driving now?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mrs Nobeer is an ophthalmic nurse, mainly elderly patients in for macular degeneration.

Treatment generally involves eyeball injections, which has obvious side effects on vision. Most of them drive in and home, there’s no mechanism to stop people driving, the onus is on the driver.

Utter madness.

convert

How many 97 years are still driving? I too wonder if he was meant to be. If there was any 97 in the country with no need to actually do the driving himself and the removal of the ability to do so would not limit his ability to get around and be independent you’d think it would be that one. Photo on the BBC about the story is of Philip driving the Obamas and queenie in a range rover at 94 – that must have generated some teeth sucking with the US security types.

He needs to be prosecuted if found at fault. Either that or given immunity which would play rather nicely for us anti royalists.

mechanicaldope

He needs to be prosecuted if found at fault.

Wonder if there were witnesses?

athgray
    Free Member

Sounds like a good test then, how do these people cope with a complex and dangerous task such as driving now?

They would ordinarily cope well. I still disagree though.

Imagine the shame and heart ache caused when you tell you partner that you may have to give up your employment and the family move house and cut back on the types of meals for the kids because you clipped a kerb during a parallel parking manoeuvre after 25 years of driving with no accidents.

squadra
    Free Member

Somehow I doubt he will be found at fault, wonder whether he was beathylized.

cheers_drive

I cycle through West Newton / Sandringham on the way to see my folks in Hunstanton. I’ll check whether Philip is in residence before I do it again.

petec
    Free Member

i know it’s possibly not fashionable, but shouldn’t we wait a while before blaming either party?

He is old, but we don’t know anything about the other people in the accident; knowing the area, they could well be even older!

nealglover
    Free Member

He needs to be prosecuted if found at fault.

How many car accidents where nobody was seriously hurt end up with anyone being prosecuted normally ?
    Assuming no breath tests failed.

Drac

So how would people perform in a driving test knowing their livelihood depends on it?

I passed my last one.

scotroutes

we don’t know anything about the other people in the accident

The other driver has apparently been identified as a Mr Al Fayed.

zanelad
    Free Member

Let’s see how willing you bunch of **** are to hand in your licences or take tests every couple of years when you get older.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

because you clipped a kerb during a parallel parking manoeuvre after 25 years of driving with no accidents.

Is that a fail on current test? Nobody said there would not be a retest. But most importantly driving is not a right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Let’s see how willing you bunch of **** are to hand in your licences or take tests every couple of years when you get older.

Happy to. If you are not safe you are not safe.

mechanicaldope

shouldn’t we wait a while before blaming either party

BURN HIM!!!!!

Doesn’t matter if your willing or not. Take the test and pass it or stop driving. ****.

Edit: except my father in law. He is needs to drive to collect my kids from school

joshvegas
    Free Member

Imagine the shame and heart ache caused when you tell you partner that you may have to give up your employment and the family move house and cut back on the types of meals for the kids because you clipped a kerb during a parallel parking manoeuvre after 25 years of driving with no accidents.

Imagine the heartache/shame of going home to tell your partner you’ve twatted some poor sod on a bike because red means “just two more”

It wouldn’t have to be the same test.

First stage… Produce doctor and eyetest results stating you are medically capable.

Second stage… theory and hazard perception. If you fail this you can retest.

With a three month window to achieve this before your 10yr is up.

And a random fail mode to get rid of the unlucky drivers.

matt_outandabout

Somehow every taxi / bus / truck driver manages on a regular basis.
    Even many (myself included) were annually checked by boss, and routinely checked by others.
    I’d happily take a test, particularly when you consider the responsibility that driving requires. It may also make people realise the priveledge it is.
    I’m sure there could be a simple ‘three attempts and you’re out until you pass one’ rule.

petec
    Free Member

If you are not safe you are not safe.

There’s no idea whether he was safe or not at the moment. Only those involved will know. Anything else is speculation; similar to ‘the other car driver had a heart attack’ or ‘the other car driver swerved to avoid a deer/barn owl/cyclist’

Course, I may come out of this looking silly in a day or so.

Drac

No bother. Did we hit a nerve?

mechanicaldope

Assuming no breath tests failed.

Do breath tests work on people with blue blood?

matt_outandabout

How long would you put up with a colleague who couldn’t do thier job because they are really crap at it?

If you’re not good at something, the answer is not to side into even more crapness, it’s to get lessons and improve. Unless of course you are happy to have sh*t or blind drivers on the road.

athgray
    Free Member

Producing a medical or eye test result is one thing I see nothing wrong with. I would not call that a ‘retest’ though if that happens to be the criteria.

A complete retest every 10 years does nothing to tackle the main problem of a high level of serious accidents caused by people under 25.

We also forget that the UK has amongst the safest roads in the world, especially considering our relatively high population density.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A complete retest every 10 years does nothing to tackle the main problem of a high level of serious accidents caused by people under 25.

True but as we are able to look at more than one think at once we can look at both. It’s possible to address both topics.

anagallis_arvensis

A retest would have to be different as said a thorough medical, but then you do you weed out those **** who can control a car perfectly well but just drive in an uncaring and dangerous manner?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Old People Driving’ is closed to new replies.